Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM

172 posts, read 418,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH14 View Post
There was an article in the Oregonian last year about this. It discussed how the homeless/beggar population is run much like prostution- with a pimp. Sounds like you witnessed it first hand....

Pretty soon we're going to start seeing homeless with their limbs missing and their eyes burnt out with acid asking for money. I guess I prefer homeless over prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 12:38 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryouga View Post
Here's an interesting question I have:

Are they dangerous?

I used to live in Boston and now live near Chicago. I've grown up with the "You ignore most of them because, they are either mentally ill or a criminal". Not all, but you'd have to be nuts to live outside in winter in Boston. And in Chicago, the panhandlers are quite pushy.

So will they take no for an answer? Or will they be offended just cause I don't want to be stabbed?

Speaking from personal experience I would have to answer "yes." I was threatened twice. Once I was fortunate because I think the guy really meant business when he said he would beat me up if I didn't give him money. Fortunately a cop was nearby and came to my rescue. The other time the guy stood there and yelled at me but then abruptly turned and walked away. He said "I'll remember you!" I was not in the best of moods that day so I shot back "I'll remember you!"

These guys had glazed over eyes and their speech wasn't very coherent. I think they were on something.

And although these weren't threats, I have had young people curse me or make rude remarks when I didn't give them money.

These incidents were few and far between. However working downtown every week day for over 30 years as I have, it was bound to happen at least once or twice.

Oh and I should caution anyone not to cross the South Park Blocks very early Saturday mornings. I used to have to do that to get to work to do over-time. There were some nasty people living in the Park Blocks. I saw one couple who were walking through them literally being accosted physically by a homeless guy. They were able to chase him away. It was still dark and early. I told my boss that I would not do Saturdays unless I could come in later in the afternoon so I wouldn't have to run the quantlet in the dark in the early morning.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:43 PM

I was attacked once. The man was obviously homeless, was alone and looked to be in his mid 40's. I was having a conversation with a friend and the man kept interrupting us for money. I told him to f off, and he was like “cmon man I need help getting out of downtown” so I told him to make a right on Burnside and to walk over the bridge (very sarcastically). He told me if I wasn't with a girl, he would kick my *ss. I laughed it off and began walking away and the man jumped on me and started swinging. I was blocking the punches but avoid hitting back, I'm sure Portland has some stupid law protecting the homeless, even if I was defending myself. He seemed pretty drunk, the punches were light and misaligned. The girl I was with maced him, her and I ran off to avoid dealing with the Police (once again, I'm sure the police wouldn't have been on my side. I was given a warning by a cop for J walking at 2am once, I was trying to get home as safely as possible and didn't feel like hanging out on the sidewalk waiting for the sign to tell me to walk, there was not one car on the street.

Lesson learned, the homeless people aren't part of a Disney ride, they might hurt you, especially if you **** them off.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:03 AM

20 posts, read 41,013 times
This phenomenon is also all over parts of Northern California. Most of them are harmless, but theres a few crazies too. It's frustrating being a 20 something, struggling to get by, having fellow 20 somethings ask if I can buy them a pizza. The last time I bought a homeless guy a sandwhich, he spit it out in front of me and yelled, 'I DONT EAT MEAT!". Now if I'm feeling charitable, I'll help a non-profit directly.

I carry pepperspray to ease my mind. Never had to use it, hope I won't ever have to.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 PM

The homeless who live in the quiet neighborhoods are usually polite and do not panhandle. The neighbors often help them out. I had just one bad experience along Hawthorne where some teenagers asked me if I had money. I told them "no."

This little wimp of a sububranite kid playing at being cool responded as I walked past them saying "She's a liar!" Okay, that was enough for me. I replied "I have money but not for jerks like you!"

He was stunned. And embarrassed in front of his friends. He either didn't think I had heard him or he thought he would make me feel guilty for turning him down if I had. Yeah, right. The brat was wearing designer running shoes that probably cost more than I make in a week. It's all a game to some people.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I have never been anywhere in the United States with so many street kids who asked for money. These Portland Oregon street kids were not the typically mentally ill folks who are begging in a typical town. These were "20 something kids/young adults" who appeared to a a 2010 version of a 1960s era hippie. I would suspect that they came from middle class families and have the mental and physical ability to work in a paying job or attend college, but instead they just hang out all day and compare tattoos.

Has anyone else noticed all the white street kids who look grungy haning all over Downtown Portland? What is their story?
Usually I see middle aged homeless people mostly.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I have never been anywhere in the United States with so many street kids who asked for money. These Portland Oregon street kids were not the typically mentally ill folks who are begging in a typical town. These were "20 something kids/young adults" who appeared to a a 2010 version of a 1960s era hippie. I would suspect that they came from middle class families and have the mental and physical ability to work in a paying job or attend college, but instead they just hang out all day and compare tattoos.

Has anyone else noticed all the white street kids who look grungy hanging all over Downtown Portland? What is their story?
In downtown Portland there is a mix of street people. So you will find suburban kids playing at it, kids who come from bad homes and really need help and older people who for whatever reasons are there. Some of them are druggies some just trying to make some money to survive.

I once saw a well-dressed woman wearing a sandwich board showing her resume. Apparently she was "networking" to find a job. I have seen men with signs stating they are looking for any type of job. Then there are people who will just put their hand out asking for money for the bus, food and every once in a while; beer.

There is a guy who will do your portrait or any type of picture who stands on the corner of 5Th and Taylor with a little cabinet type thing for his art supplies. There are kids who hang out in front of the Carl's Junior asking for food from the people going into the restaurant. They often seem to have pets with them.

There is a guy at 6Th and Taylor who repeats the same story about the few dollars more he needs for food. He looks really wasted. Then there are the ubiquitous street kids. Usually they tell you they need bus money.

Then there are the street performers like the guy who sits on the little island just as you enter the Hawthorne Bridge from downtown with some magic tricks and a trumpet. Also in the summer the harp lady sings and strums her harp under the windows of the building where I work and we wish she would go away.

A really eclectic group. Probably not so different from anywhere else.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM

59 posts, read 133,219 times
No one has mentioned how destructive this image is for tourism.

San Francisco has a law that when you say no to a panhandler, they need to accept your answer or get cited.

In particular, corporate meeting planners avoid cities where their clients are harassed.

This is easy to solve.

Don't visit Portland.

There are so many other beautiful cities like Seattle that have earned your hotel room tax dollar because they have a no tolerance policy.

Portland is past it's prime....by many many years.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The homeless who live in the quiet neighborhoods are usually polite and do not panhandle. The neighbors often help them out. I had just one bad experience along Hawthorne where some teenagers asked me if I had money. I told them "no."
A lot of these people in the quiet neighborhoods might night be homeless. My next door neighbors when I lived off Hawthorne, were about 7 or 8 punk rock kids. They were friendly, polite, would let me know when they were having a party and asked if it was okay, etc. Not sure how to made money, I know one of them worked at Fed Ex, the other at Powells, but they drove decent cars, one being a brand new Volvo. I would see them pretty often on the corner of Hawthorne and 39th, with a fishing pole with a cup tied to the end saying “fishing for weed”. Maybe this is how they made rent? I don't know but they were definitely not homeless nor violent.

Quote:
This little wimp of a sububranite kid playing at being cool responded as I walked past them saying "She's a liar!" Okay, that was enough for me. I replied "I have money but not for jerks like you!"
I always got my jollies when they asked “Do you have change?” I would stop, check my pocket, pull some change out and say “Yes I do”, put it back in my pocket and walk off. I would also invite them to come over my house and do a day's worth of yardwork with me at 12 dollars an hour, they didn't like either answers.
I guess it's kind of mean, but put me in a good mood when I was having a stressful day.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:01 PM

59 posts, read 133,219 times
Quote:
I just pick my way carefully through and try not to trip over them. Some are dressed in more expensive looking clothes than me. One of these days I think I will ask them for money.
It's good to see you still fighting for the sanity of that city. You have endured much to live and work in Portland.

It seems weird to me, as it always has, that Portland is willing to violate the rights of it's working citizens and tourists in favor of keeping it's reputation of having the most agressive homeless population in the country.

Keep up the good work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland