Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM

42 posts, read 84,819 times

Advertisements

I am posting this as a new thread because new readers might not find the older thread. I just replied to an older post in which someone was wondering where to retire but not live in a "retirement community." If that is what you are wondering, I would suggest that you think about co-housing. Portland has about six co-housing groups. Co-housing is multi-generational. The co-housing group I live in, Daybreak Cohousing, has young families and middle-aged people and retirees. And that's what we like about it. We are all connected like an extended family, but with our independence too. Daybreak is located in North Portland, so we are close to downtown, right near bus and Max, walkable to grocery stores and restaurants, and have a lovely new building. Co-housing groups are very sensitive to environmental issues and sustainability issues. It sounds like a lot of you who come to this page wondering whether Portland would be a good place for you to retire would be very pleased too see the co-housing options Portland offers.
Laura
www.DaybreakCohousing.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 AM

639 posts, read 1,593,699 times
I was reading about this day break place since you've mentioned it several times (in fact, you don't seem to comment on anything else) and I noticed that it seems to have some sort of "spiritual values" thing going on. What's that all about? Can a person live there if they are atheist?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:52 PM

Yes, definitely one can live at Daybreak as an atheist. Personally, I identify as agnostic. Some of the founders of Daybreak described themselves as on a spiritual path (yoga, Buddhism) and there is a space at Daybreak that right now is used by multiple members for meditation. But it is not a religious or spiritual community, so one's beliefs in that regard are private. When I think about who is living there now we have multiple people who attend a Unitarian Church, some who attend a Presbyterian church, a few, as I said who practice yoga as a spiritual path, and a bunch of people who are unaffiliated to any church.

You're right that co-housing is mostly what I write about at the moment. I wish I had known about it many years ago. I only became familiar with it about three years ago when I moved to Portland. I moved in to Daybreak last October when the construction was finished, and I have been very pleased with the living situation. I am a baby-boomer, but still working. I am single with no children, so I identify deeply with my profession and work a lot. I have lived in apartment houses and condos over the years, and sure, I liked my living arrangements, but I love the opportunities for informal social interaction in co-housing like the spontaneous conversations that get struck up just because our architecture encourages it. And I like having the meals (we are doing two a week right now) where I can come home after a long day, and sit down to eat with people I consider my extended family.

I read the posts on this lists of people asking about good places to live that are near public transportation and where they can find good neighbors, a sense of community, an urban-ish environment that isn't the Pearl...well, I think they should know that co-housing could offer them those qualities exactly.

I love living in Portland. It really feels like coming home (I identify as a Pacific Northwesterner, although I am from Spokane originally) after years in Texas and California. I was in an apartment and a house in Vancouver and Portland before the construction on Daybreak was done, and neither place felt as good as my home now. I think as my generation ages, we are really going to be drawn to co-housing, so I do like to get the word out.
Laura

Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,593,699 times
It sounds wonderful. I am generally not a very social person, but the idea of living someplace WITH neighbors sort-of, instead of just living nearby some other people sounds really, really great.

My dad and his girlfriend have lived in a fourplex for the last 30 years and they share a huge back yard and garden with the other residents. The top units and the bottom units have a door between their back porches that can be opened up if you'd like a friendly visit, and the front of the place is one gigantic front porch. I always loved being there because it seemed there was always somebody "home" to chat with and share meals with - bbq's etc...

I have always sort of envied the few communities that are able to live closely like this but it seems like they are always affiliated with one religion or another, but I am an atheist so I won't ever fit in (or want to, really). I hope co-housing is still available when (if) my husband and I can ever afford to buy something.

Cheers.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,465,628 times
There is much to recommend in co-housing. It is my observation that re-sales can be an issue as many are unfamiliar with the concept. I think it is very supportive for young families and retirees where community plays an important role in the quality of life.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

322 posts, read 776,195 times
Sounds great, but how much does it cost? I'm on Social Security. I need a place that accepts Section 8 or will only charge me 1/3 of my income for rent.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,465,628 times
I think these are condos, not rentals.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Yes, the units at Daybreak are for sale at this time. We hope that someday some owners will have the extra money to buy another unit and rent the second one out, so that people on lower incomes could live with us. But at this point, we do not have any rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland