Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:10 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,099,140 times

Advertisements

My husband and I fell in love with Oregon during a quick business trip last month. We spent three days exploring the area and have decided to plan on moving there in the future, as we have not stopped thinking or talking about it since!

We currently live in NC, in a very suburban city with families abound and a very materialistic, conservative and judgmental population. We are kind of middle of the road or a little more "earthy", and do not fit in here at all. We are in our early 30s and do not have children. We would like them, but so far it's not in the universe's plans. It has made it hard to make and keep friends here b/c we are either seen as strange, unfriend-able, or easily forgotten for new friends w/kids.

It might be an impossibility to find the perfect place to live, but I'd love some advice. My husband will be staying w/his current company and working from home, so no worries there. What I would love is a safe, established neighborhood with amenities within walking distance, close to a train station (mostly for commute to airport), and a population of other childless couples or families who do not discriminate. We're not partiers at all, so I'm not interested in areas with nightlife or whatnot. We're more into just hanging out, having cookouts, walking our dogs, etc. Budget will be up to 300K.

Any and all advice is welcome! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,997,179 times
The train to the airport is the MAX Red Line. If you're going to be going there a lot, it would be best to live near a Red Line station. You can get there from the other lines, you just have to change trains somewhere. Go to TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area and look at the Red Line map, and explore those neighborhoods.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,456,202 times
Were I you I would rent until you have had a chance to settle on a neighborhood, also you will need more space when children arrive so any purchase may only be appropriate for a couple years.

You may like the area often described as Goose Hollow. It is urban and very close to a light rail station. If you were willing to transfer from light rail to the streetcar then NW and close in SW Portland is an option as well.

Fellow posters: is there a tool that overlays light rail on a Google, Yahoo or MS map?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The train to the airport is the MAX Red Line. If you're going to be going there a lot, it would be best to live near a Red Line station. You can get there from the other lines, you just have to change trains somewhere. Go to TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area and look at the Red Line map, and explore those neighborhoods.
Can you point to any specific neighborhoods that might fit my criteria? I don't want to just land anywhere. Changing trains is not a big deal.

To the other poster (Nell Plotts), I agree w/the renting, but we would like to rent in the area where we would potentially buy. We are not interested in a large house, children or not. I will check out the community you mentioned.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Because it is urban and close to a Red Line stop the buildings will be fairly large. I haven't visited any (because I am a home owner) but none are problematic: Collins Circle (popular pizza place on the ground floor that is popular with Lincoln HS students, it is a zoo on Friday nights), Vista St. Clair (gentile persona), Portland Towers, 2020 Building. There are smaller vintage buildings in the neighborhood that might meet your needs but in all cases be sure to know if parking is available and at what price. There is a street level, open, parking lot across from the Collins Circle & Methodist Church.

Were I in your shoes that is where I would look first. Take a year to explore and refine your options. What I dearly love may not be to your taste. The only issue with changing trains or transferring when needing to make a flight is that on RARE occasions the best laid plans go wrong. When we were staying off the Red line I just called for a taxi to meet us near the station and take us home, or once when it was miserable out husband took me to the nearest light rail station. Once your are established in the neighborhood doubtless you will use the 'call a friend' transportation system. I live up the hill from the Goose Hollow Red Line stop. Were I a young woman I could use my suitcase like a scooter and be there in a flash, getting home however is a 'drag the bag' experience where I would call a cab or neighbor.

Welcome home!!

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-22-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,464,751 times
Off the top of my head, I thought about 2 or 3 neighborhoods, but then read that you expect to purchase a home for under $300K. Just so you know, Portland's real estate market is strongly influenced by supply and demand. Anywhere near a MAX line stop (about every 1.5 to 2 miles apart outside of downtown), the prices goes up, or the property is turned into apartments. Portland has an unusual number of renters compared to owner-occupied single family homes with yard.

There are small footprint homes out along E Burnside past SE 102nd street (Blue Line) that may be in your price range, but this is deep into car-is-king suburbia far east side City of Portland. Aside: super easy to change from Blue line to Red Line at Gateway Transit center.

The Goose Hollow idea is a good place to start.

However, for optional suggestion, you might try along the Bus line #71 (SE 60th and SE 52nd) Bus line #71 goes up to the 60th st Max line station. (it's a small walk from the Bus stop the the Max station) But the home might (repeat MIGHT) be in your price range. Catch the Red Line MAX at the 60th street station.

SE Division and SE 52nd (on the #71 bus line) area is kind of Portland "Weird" or unconventional from what I know, somewhat racial diverse (per PDX standards.) But, with all kinds of red flags flying as to warn you, you might find a gem of a home in your price range (albeit most likely a "fixer upper")

Note: I have not checked out the Real Estate market, and I am not an expert in Portland Neighborhoods.

Be sure to Google: Moving to Portland.

A couple of hits of web sites with great info on Portland Neighborhoods.
There are many other neighborhoods that will match you wants, and your budget, but Mass Transit to the Airport, not so much.

Phil

Old 10-22-2010, 11:36 PM

The only non-rental that comes close your requirements in a 2 bedroom is a condo at the Portland Plaza. While it is in the center of the city it is only a couple blocks from Waterfront Park which would provide space for a child to run and play. I have no idea about that building's condition or reserves, you would really need to take a long look at that. [My critique of that building was published in Architectural Record after they did a spread on it many years ago - the design doesn't fit with surrounding structures.]

There are several listings in the three buildings with president's names on SW 1st. I would only consider the building to the north. When we were looking we found a unit where someone had created a huge picture window from the master bedroom into the bath, I almost had 'an accident' laughing. There are a number of rentals in that building as I recall. It is a walk to light rail but not so far from the streetcar.

So, meeting your requirements is not impossible and with housing prices still dropping there are possibilities out there. Before you buy it is very important that you have a home inspector who is a PITA from the sellers point of view, one who knows how to determine if the building envelope really turns water.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Thanks guys! Are there any walkable suburbs, or are they all just typical suburbs? I've read that Beaverton and Multnomah are nice, but we don't want to move all the way across the country to have the same thing we do here - vinyl suburbia w/the nearest store being 10 minutes away by car. It would be fantastic to be able to walk or bike places. I like the fact that Beaverton has so many parks and trails too. Our number one reason for wanting to move to Oregon is the outdoors. (I know it rains!)

I have a question about transportation to the airport: if there is a train station is there a parking lot or is it walk-up only? We have a light rail here with park and ride lots at most stations. This could work if we are farther away from a station.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 AM

The suburban stations on the west side have park & ride lots, others will need to speak about other areas. Orenco might be worth a look (change from the Blue line to the Red line between Beaverton & Gateway), the stop is NW 231st & NE Alder St.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM

42 posts, read 84,772 times
The other readers of this board will smile (or maybe groan), but I would suggest that you consider Co-housing. Portland has at least six different co-housing communities (I think there are even more that I don't know about). I live at Daybreak Co-housing and I like it for specifically some of the reasons you talk about. We are a multi-generational community -- we have retirees, but our youngest is 18 months old. I, personally, have a full-time job, but being at Daybreak gives me a chance to interact with a family with teenagers and one with a toddler and also with couples and individuals who have a lot of wisdom that they are happy to share with me. Our toddler is a very happy child and has no idea that his babbling during our group meetings is distracting. One member (different ones each time) simply takes him to a playroom or outside to the swing or otherwise amuses him while his parents participate in the meeting. When his parents need a babysitter, they have multiple childless people who are completely happy to spend some time with their little one. Daybreak is located in North Portland, and we are right on the bus lines and near the Max. We have restaurants and stores within walking or biking distance. This is an area with lots of gardens, and lots of bike-friendly amenities.

The different co-housing groups are spread all over the city. There are some in the Southwest area, one in the Northeast area, a couple in North Portland, and as I said, probably other areas that I am just unaware of. If you do an Internet search on "cohousing Portland" it will bring up the websites for the different cohousing groups here. You can then contact the ones that appeal to you.

There are cohousing communities in all parts of the world. Very few people know it as an option. The number of different cohousing groups is one of the great advantages Portland has, and if you have decided that this is where you want to be, then do consider cohousing.

Laura

www.DaybreakCohousing.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland