Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be traveling over to Portland next week to see a concert at the Aladdin Theater (SE Powell and Milwaukee). We then have to catch a flight out of PDX the next day. Ideally we would like the hotel/motel to be within walking distance of the theater so we can have a few drinks, but I've only found one, Motel 6, on SE Powell that appears to be close. However, the reviews for this place are bad. We don't really care about a nice room, as we are only using it to sleep for the night. But we do want the area to be safe to walk at midnight or 1 am when returning from the concert. Since I don't know Portland very well, I thought I would ask for opinions here. Is that area relatively safe to walk or would you stay somewhere else and take a cab and/or public transportation (I don't know the max lines at all) to the Aladdin and avoid staying on Powell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Frankly there are no nice places to stay within walkable distance. At that hour bus transportation in that area is infrequent. Take a cab to a hotel near light rail, take light rail to the airport.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:53 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Just so you know,

a couple of blocks straight north of Aladdin Theater, is 11th and 12th streets. 11th runs one way south, and 12th is one way north, until Burnside Street. 12th street continues north up to the South end of Lloyd District and the hotel cluster around the Convention Center. Many large and small hotel chains are located up there. Many with Internet discounts.

Red Line MAX light rail to and from Airport. Max has stations at Convention Center and just south of Lloyd Center (which is an indoor shopping mall.)

Bus line 70 runs from the Lloyd center hotel cluster to near Aladdin Theater. As Nell pointed out, bus service late at night is like 1 hour apart, and I wouldn't care to wait for a bus at 11:56pm in that neighborhood when all the normal Aladdin theater patrons have left the area. On weekends, service ends around 10 to 10:30pm on line #70.

Not a theater district or other high population night life neighborhood; US-26 (SE Powell) has a lot of traffic that may not be looking our for pedestrians at that time of night. Odds are you would be safe, but as you posted, you don't know the Portland.

However:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area
no crime in checking out the bus path, and you using Line #70 route for a rental car driving path. Rent a car up in Hotel Cluster, for one day, and use MAX to and from Airport?
(aside: Fare is $2.35 from an automatic fare machine, does not make change at airport stop.)

as always when it comes to visitors to PDX, YMMV. Street and road signs are generally speaking missing or covered by tree branches.

Phil

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the replies! Phil, I live in Bend so we will have a vehicle with us (just wanting to catch a concert the night before our flight leaves out of PDX), so we can drive, just wanted to avoid it so we both have have a few beers at the concert. I've been to Portland twice, once we stayed at a motel near the convention center to go to a concert at the Rose Quarter and the other time we stayed at a hotel downtown. Both of those times everything was within walking distance, but when I googled the Aladdin I realized it wasn't anywhere close to either place I've been.

My husband just found us a place to stay (a coworker has a condo and said we could use it), so now I just need to figure out where that is in relation to the Aladdin and see if we can find public transportation or if a cab is the way to go.

Speaking of cabs, is it best to call ahead? I'm not worried about getting to the venue but rather, getting home after the concert ends. I know in some cities you can hail a cab, but others (and I think Portland is one of them), it's illegal.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Where is the condo? Chances are that time of night you will not be able to find bus service that time of night. You should call and reserve your cab ahead of time. Besides the fact that you are not allowed to hail them from the streets, you won't find any just hanging out there to hail even if it was.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Where is the condo? Chances are that time of night you will not be able to find bus service that time of night. You should call and reserve your cab ahead of time. Besides the fact that you are not allowed to hail them from the streets, you won't find any just hanging out there to hail even if it was.
Thanks Minervah! I don't know exactly where the condo is yet, but I do know it's somewhere close to downtown (whatever that means). I'll be sure to call ahead for a cab if that's the route we decide to go.

Does anyone know what the parking is like at the Aladdin if we decide to drive? I remember downtown Portland being somewhat difficult to find parking for our oversized van.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Thanks Minervah! I don't know exactly where the condo is yet, but I do know it's somewhere close to downtown (whatever that means). I'll be sure to call ahead for a cab if that's the route we decide to go.

Does anyone know what the parking is like at the Aladdin if we decide to drive? I remember downtown Portland being somewhat difficult to find parking for our oversized van.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The last time I was at the Addladin it was to see Eric Idle some years ago. From what I remember there was only street parking in the neighborhood.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Per Google Maps...

Minervah, you are correct. Street Parking.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The last time I was at the Addladin it was to see Eric Idle some years ago. From what I remember there was only street parking in the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Per Google Maps...

Minervah, you are correct. Street Parking.
Thank you both! Minervah, I always forget about that google maps street view feature. We don't have that for Bend, so it's not something I regularly use. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland