Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,124 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone in the Portland area,

I'm seeking feed back on living in Beaverton, Raleigh Hills. I'm a young retired african american lady, single, in my mid 40's, very active and relocating from Southern California. I'm so tired of southern cal and looking to retire in a friendly environment. I don't have issues with driving to go out for entertainment as a matter of fact I enjoy going to many areas away from home for all of my life, just to get out and about however, I perfer living in an upscale neighborhood thats quite and safe. Enjoy all the basics - bike riding, golf, movies, love out door concerts, BBQ in backyard etc, wine tasting, you name it. Looking for a better tax scale than California . I'm open to other cities in Oregon as well, all opinions welcome. Thanks so kindly for everyone's input!

Last edited by youngretiredandactive; 11-12-2010 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
South Beaverton is mighty congested ~ everytime I ride by Scholls Ferry it reminds me of parts of San Francisco. Plus, some areas have HOAs from Hell.

Sounds like you're interested in possibly buying a home, so I'd recommend the Cedar Hills area somewhere. It's much closer to Max than South Beaverton is. You wrote that you don't mind driving for entertainment, but if you live close enough to the train then you could still enjoy a break from the car once in awhile. Check out the Waterhouse subdivisions in Beaverton. They're very nice. Not quite as famliar with Raleigh Hills so I'll let another poster give feedback for that one.

While Oregon doesn't have sales taxes, property taxes are HIGHER here than in California. My brothers in California can't believe what I pay for mine. So be prepared there.

You can have all you mentioned. Portland AND the burbs have many outdoor concerts in the summer, and so much to do that it gets overwhelming.

Orenco area is another one you could consider but that's closer to Hillsboro.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:31 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Short answer is yes.

Beaverton is in Washington County and has lower taxes than Multnomah (which is City of Portland) County. Housing prices depends on several factors, there are lower scale housing places over that way, and some more up-scale areas. If you are retired, and don't need to commute to work Beaverton and the 'west hills' side of Portland will be good. I would also recommend to you to look into Multnomah Village in the SW part of the City of Portland; MV is known as a "Crunchy," green, or aging yuppies of the 1990's kind of neighborhood.

But, yes, Beaverton is good.

A couple of comments:
Bridgeport Mall in Dunham is an impressive up-scale middle American type mall ....
Shopping in actually in Beaverton is, IMHO, more internationally diversified than other places around Portland.
Amazing Asian grocery shopping places.
The most desirable and highest end real estate is on the East side of the big downtown ridge (800 foot high ridge) facing Mt. Hood. (Aside: Mt. Hood's sister active volcano is Mt. St. Hellen of course.) The view of Mt Hood (about 60 some miles away) on a clear day is very impressive. And the view is expensive in terms of real estate prices.

as always: YMMV.

Phil

Old 11-12-2010, 09:56 PM

258 posts, read 540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngretiredandactive View Post
Hi Everyone in the Portland area,

I'm seeking feed back on living in Beaverton, Raleigh Hills. I'm a young retired african american lady, single, in my mid 40's, very active and relocating from Southern California. I'm so tired of southern cal and looking to retire in a friendly environment. I don't have issues with driving to go out for entertainment as a matter of fact I enjoy going to many areas away from home for all of my life, just to get out and about however, I perfer living in an upscale neighborhood thats quite and safe. Enjoy all the basics - bike riding, golf, movies, love out door concerts, BBQ in backyard etc, wine tasting, you name it. Looking for a better tax scale than California . I'm open to other cities in Oregon as well, all opinions welcome. Thanks so kindly for everyone's input!

I want to get retirement advice from you! How did you retire so early?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Central Beaverton is an older established neighborhood. I've noticed that there are a lot of new real estate listings for that area in the last month, with some pretty attractive prices. I wish I had some cash to invest in some of those places.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Default Stayed Positive

Hi There,

To answer your question. I took the safe route and with the advise of elder family members. When I finished college @ 21, my family insisted I didn't waste my money, I worked through college and lived at home and was able to save money. When I finished college and got my first job my father and uncle took me on a ride I thought we were going shopping..my favoritie thing to do. Long story short I was taken to a realtor and I bought my first income propery 6 units.. I lived in 1 unit. This is at 21 years old. 2 year later I bought my first house, still working 10- 12 hours a day within 5 years I had 3 apartment buildings, by 35 I had purchased my 3 house upgrading each time my last house I purchased in in 1999 great are...I began investing in annuities, mutuals, comodities, stocks - dad's favorite, investing in pension plans when I was 25 years old. I was broke until 30 years old due to I was getting so involved in investing and starting to see the light of not having to work forever. In 2006 before the economy went belly up I sold 1 aparmtent building and my first 6 units for a pretty penny and Walmart and oil and utility stocks purchased in late 80's and early 90's have been very good to me and a couple of annuities matured nicely and my professional income was in 6 figures life had gotten good. I just kept my eye on the prize with basic things. People always say they don't have enough money but you must try before you say that, I went without have fancy cars and expensive things until one when I was 30 I found myself having lots of extra cash with saving and investments in tow.... THERE YOU HAVE IT.. NO MIRACLE. IT'S NEVER TO LATE.

Now is a good time to buy rentals. Remember to the rental income qualifies as income towards your bank loan so it's not all on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
I want to get retirement advice from you! How did you retire so early?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Why did you choose Beaverton? Do you have friends in the area?

There are neighborhoods in Portland that would meet your needs. Since you like outdoor concerts living walking distance Washington Park (Arlington Heights Neighborhood) would be perfect.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

I was researching areas and Beaverton appealed to me..no I do not know anyone in the area but in California there is a couple of radio host I enjoy and they have also moved to Oregon and they love it.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:42 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Golly, you can have your pick of neighborhoods. Because you like to BBQ I recommend a home with a substantial terrace that can accomodate several friends. For that reason the Pearl probably would not work for you. I like a neighborhood with a lot to do nearby, which is why I suggested Arlington Heights. However, the base asking price for houses there is $500,000.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Thanks, I think that would be the Raleigh Hills area? If, so I've been researching that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland