Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Need_Of_Assistance View Post
Thank You for all the measured/thoughtful replies, appreciate that much.

My wife has family in Maryland, and has pretty much flat-out stated, she wouldn't want to reside there, so that's that for that area.

San Diego gets glowing reviews from the friends we have down that way... but, they don't ride bikes much so we have taken that into the mix.

Austin seems worth serious thought... as do parts of AZ, possibly New Mexico [opinions??] and finally... my wife was researching Athens, Georgia last evening: any thoughts on Athens?

Thanks again.

The southeast gets lot's of rain and it's mind boggling hot and humid for much of the year. And the culture in that area tends not to be friendly to biking or walking. Plus, try biking when it's 104 and 95% humidity. yikes.

If no snow or rain is a big thing for you, focus on the parts of the country that tend to be hot and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:50 PM

36 posts, read 95,785 times
Before I even finished your post, I was checking out Austin for you.
I lived in Houston for about half a year. They were super friendly, super supportive people. It really didn't feel too conservative. I didn't feel like I was looked at too oddly.

I think, if it weren't for the summer rain. (which I loved, it was a nice break.) You'd love Houston.

But my Houston friends RAVED about Austin. Music scene, weather. And it's one of the top 20 bike cities in the US. (:
I think Austin would be a good fit.

If not, maybe Tuscon?

Actually, after some thought. Claremont, California is a local gem of a city. It's in LA county.
It's got a nice small town feel. Living near the Village would be amazing. Super walk-able.
It's a college town with a crunchy, granola-y vibe that reminds me of a smaller Portland.
People are always biking. The schools are good, from what I hear.
I've walked all through the downtown area. People are friendly. It's really nice.
it does close down kind of early at night. (Aside from the bars, but yeah.)

But it's not a big drive from other spots in the IE.
And normally I wouldn't recommended anywhere in the inland empire, but Claremont is amazing. (: It's like it's own little world.

Last edited by Korynnn; 11-17-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Ah, Baltimore and Washington DC have rougher winters than Nebraska????

To the OP, please check in with the Maryland forum, or better yet with the NOAA web site. Mid-Atlantic states only get heavy snow storms about once every 5 or 7 years but what makes those heavy snowstorms so bad is there is little snow removal equipment since normal winters have light snow and the snow melts with a week's time. But please, don 't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

And look at a map of where Nebraska is, and where South Dakota is, and maybe even Chicago on a North-South scale.
Exactly, I had to laugh when I saw Nebraska, talk about a brutal winter.

As you said every 5 or 7 yrs the Mid Atlantic states get hit hard with freak snow storms, Nebraska is known for harsh winters.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
St Pete FL explore. Although I must warn you, they are trying to be the next SF. Homeless everywhere like Portland, sunny, bike friendly in the downtown area. overall liberal. Restaurants have gotten really expensive though.

Sorry have to disagree, FL is the deadliest state in the nation for bicyclists.

Tampa( which is right across from St. Pete) just had the 9th bicyclist in three months killed by a car.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 AM

74 posts, read 199,013 times
I have a feeling that even if you found that "Utopia" you are searching for, you still wouldn't be happy. I don't think it's the weather you are searching for....sorry to be a downer. I live in a "Utopia" right now, it's sunny and 70 year round and boring as all hell - I feel like I'm living in the movie Groundhog Day. I'd kill for a little weather, and I am not alone in this thought. The grass is always greener. You keep moving around hoping to find happiness, but you'll find discontent wherever you go. You might love the bike friendly nature of my town, and the endless sun, but the people may not be to your taste and you'll go searching again.

Good luck finding perfection.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBound View Post
I have a feeling that even if you found that "Utopia" you are searching for, you still wouldn't be happy. I don't think it's the weather you are searching for....sorry to be a downer. I live in a "Utopia" right now, it's sunny and 70 year round and boring as all hell - I feel like I'm living in the movie Groundhog Day. I'd kill for a little weather, and I am not alone in this thought. The grass is always greener. You keep moving around hoping to find happiness, but you'll find discontent wherever you go. You might love the bike friendly nature of my town, and the endless sun, but the people may not be to your taste and you'll go searching again.

Good luck finding perfection.
So true. The idea of perfection is a human construct. The world in its entirety is perfect as it stand. Always has been and will continue to be LONG after we die. Whether you believe in Chaos, God, other philosophies or what have you.......

We all move (for that matter find new lovers, new jobs, etc.) hoping to find happiness else where when in reality happiness is found within.

That said, I do believe your location/who you surround yourself with can put you in better (or worse, for that matter) positions for happiness. The rest is up to you...

---
To the OP: Check out Berkley, CA, too. Known as one of the most bike friendly communities in the WORLD. Also, its liberal and conscious from my understanding....

----
Wow, sorry for the cheesiness of that post....just re-read it. Still holds true though. In my eyes, anyway.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
So true. The idea of perfection is a human construct. The world in its entirety is perfect as it stand. Always has been and will continue to be LONG after we die. Whether you believe in Chaos, God, other philosophies or what have you.......

We all move (for that matter find new lovers, new jobs, etc.) hoping to find happiness else where when in reality happiness is found within.

That said, I do believe your location/who you surround yourself with can put you in better (or worse, for that matter) positions for happiness. The rest is up to you...

---
To the OP: Check out Berkley, CA, too. Known as one of the most bike friendly communities in the WORLD. Also, its liberal and conscious from my understanding....

----
Wow, sorry for the cheesiness of that post....just re-read it. Still holds true though. In my eyes, anyway.

I just think its mostly about knowing theres negatives to anywhere you move but dealing with that set of negatives vs the set of negatives say that you dont like in a 70 and sunny climate. People who move without researching and they just want any change. They hated the suburbs in FL, they move to a suburb in Oregon only to find it the same even if the weather is more to that persons liking. If you dislike FL suburbs and also dont care for the sunny hot and minimal rain climate, then move to Oregon along with a progressive city like Portland instead of some bland suburb. These are ways to solving your problems where you are.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't really have any recommendations of locations for you, other than perhaps look into locations in New Mexico. Research the Albuquerque area. Some of your requirements would definitely be met there. However it would be up to you to figure out if the area would fit right. A good visit speaking to tons of local people would do it

You shouldn't feel slammed for stating your true feelings. Especially if stating such feelings helps with recommendations for other areas. No one place is for everyone. I do recommend being very cautious of locations that are being pushed on people. Places that are constantly being praised as being the best of the best. No place is the best of the best or most progressive for everyone. I do not agree with these best places lists. They are very misleading and take them with a grain of salt. No one place fits all.

Base your relocation on your needs and I cannot stress enough. Use your gut feeling, your instincts on whatever you decide to do. I have a feeling you may have realized that, or learned how important our instincts are since your last move. You want to do it right the next time so take your time. Relocating is extremely expensive and very stressful. However at times it is mandatory and we have to take the plunge. Do your research and do not rely on citydata completely. You will need to visit the locations and see how they feel for you. How they meet your needs. Keep us Posted. Perhaps thru city data, your own research and visits. You will find your place.

Best of Luck
Im surprised I didn't think of this earlier. I firmly believe this is true like when they pushed Sarasota as a low unemployment rate back in 2003-2004. People moved in droves only to have what happened happened to them. Portland may get NY times praise, but it never seems to be a place pushed on other people like the sheepherder leading all his sheep somewhere kinda thing. FL and Las Vegas seemed more like those type places. I only use my gut feeling to decide things and I feel it makes you a happier person.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 20,366 times
The Austin and Davis suggestions make sense to me.

Another idea might be Louisville, KY. Not exactly a bike mecca, but certainly a progressive town with some elements that remind me of Portland. They do get a little snow in the winter, but nothing extreme. Generally the climate is pretty moderate. Friendly people, too.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM

240 posts, read 483,248 times
While I appreciate your desire to find your "best place" to live, I lean toward agreeing with those who are essentially telling you to buck up and try a little harder to find what you are looking for here in Portland. Most of the places recommended to you here are either too hot or too cold/snowy to bike comfortably year 'round. To me, the things you said you're looking for can be best found here.

The Japanese have a saying: "Sume ba miyako", meaning, "One can live anywhere," or that one comes to love a place by living there, that it's all in the attitude. That may not sound helpful to you right now, but I think as you continue to search and move and search and move again, you'll find that you already had what you are looking for here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland