Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 16,418 times

Advertisements

Never been to Portland, which neighborhoods are good, which should we stay away from? How is the quality of life there? At what restaurant should we eat at first that represents local Portland, in other words, where can we get that Portland flavor? Tell me anything you love about Portland and what you hate? See you soon Portland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
If the following reflects a bit of an attitude, so be it: what if I asked you what to expect if I were moving to... San Jose??? Much depends on your place of employment and wages, right? Well, same here.

"San Francisco" incompases many neighborhoods, some might include Oakland or Los Altos... worlds apart in every respect.

All things equal can expect lower housing costs, for one. In many ways the weather is similar to downtown SFO (cool, sometimes foggy) but more rain. Decent public transportation in most neighborhoods. Freeway traffic less competitive. Demographically lower median earnings, more Caucasions, fewer in-your-face folks (lower key culture) - most folks don't need to run up a flag and wave it to make their point.

Why are you moving to Portland, pray tell.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Ahem, are you aware of the lack of sunshine in the Pacific North West? The 9 months of cloud cover and light drizzle rain all winter long?

1st, do Google: Moving to Portland
a couple of hits on Portland's neighborhoods. Sites hosted by Real Estate ladies, a bit Rah-Rah as you would expect. But good information.

Are you young and seeking an active night life? There is rumored to be a shortage of young active-social-life ladies. A couple of long threads to that effect on this site. If by the "we" you mean family seeking safe and friendly neighborhood with schools for the kids, yea we got that too, but more out in the 'burbs where Car-Is-King interchangeable with so many other suburban cities in USA (which is not my cup of coffee, as you can tell.)

Currently the big thing is Portland Foodie Carts. These are RV trailers that have been modified to be restaurant kitchens and serve food out through a window. Semi-permanently parked in private parking lots, anywhere from 4 to 15 carts make up a Pod; there are many foodie Pods all over town. Same county and city food inspections and standards as any brick and mortar restaurant in Portland. These are a truly entrepreneurial (read: very hard work and very long hours) phenomenon in Portland.

Food Carts Portland

Do come for a visit before you make your commitments to move here.

Oh, and as an aside, we would consider it right neighborly if you could bring your own jobs with you..... we wouldn't want you to join the long queue of the others suffering from the Great Recession, oh heavens not. On the other hand, if you were gifted with some entrepreneurial skills and abilities and if you would be in a position to hire some of our unemployed, well then I can emphatically assure you, that you would be most welcomed and warmly greeted in Portland.

Others will add their opinion, these are just my own. YMMV

Phil

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
I write this as a Native San Franciscan who now lives in Portland; check out Yelp Portland for food reviews. Message me if you have any specific questions. Right now you should expect the possibility of snow on Sunday. The rain we had today was very siimilar to that of rain in Jan., Feb., March in S.F. when there's not a drought. Enjoy!

Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If the following reflects a bit of an attitude, so be it: what if I asked you what to expect if I were moving to... San Jose??? Much depends on your place of employment and wages, right? Well, same here.

"San Francisco" incompases many neighborhoods, some might include Oakland or Los Altos... worlds apart in every respect.

All things equal can expect lower housing costs, for one. In many ways the weather is similar to downtown SFO (cool, sometimes foggy) but more rain. Decent public transportation in most neighborhoods. Freeway traffic less competitive. Demographically lower median earnings, more Caucasions, fewer in-your-face folks (lower key culture) - most folks don't need to run up a flag and wave it to make their point.

Why are you moving to Portland, pray tell.
We are moving there for an opportunity and a lifestyle change. Slower pace with nicer less stressed out people. Have visited Ashland and loved it.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:53 AM

How much does it rain? is it like Seattle?

Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Yes. The absolute best book is The Weather of the Pacific Northwest by Cliff Mass. Here is his blog: Cliff Mass Weather Blog

You can find at book in the San Francisco Public Library, main branch in the map room (reference book) as well as the San Leandro Public Library and your local university libraries. If those don't work for you search further at WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog The book is available in paperback through the usual retailers.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 11-20-2010 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lura lou View Post
How much does it rain? is it like Seattle?
The rain is mostly measured by time (hours), not quantity (inches). Usually light drizzle rain that only gives you a bad hair day, but not enough to soak you clothes. Umbrellas are used by tourist; locals just ignore the rain; I am somewhere in between and use a rain hat.

It isn't the rain, it is the 8 to 9 months of winter overcast cloud cover day after day that bothers so many who move from mostly sunny conditions areas. The most severe cases are given the medical diagnoses of Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD.) Much milder symptoms are home remedy treated with increase of vitamin C and D to overcome the lack of sunshine, plus a very pointed effort to just go outside and do something even in the light rain. And you must keep up a modicum of a social life; there is a reason why the current fad of coffee shops started in Seattle and Portland.

On a globe or a map, measure the distance from the Arctic Circle to Portland, and then do the same for Chicago, Toronto, or any other Major city in North America. Seattle and Portland are very far North. But we benefit with mild winter weather due to Pacific Ocean effects which turns winter weather into mild cloud covered mild winter temperatures.

Now measure the distance from the Arctic Circle to London, UK or Manchester, UK. They have weather close to Portland and Seattle, along with a much stronger weather influences from the Ocean currents. Stuff upper lip, now. Square your shoulders....

Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Phil,
You are so funny. S.F. rain during Winter months is much more extreme than here. The fog is also pretty crappy there which rivals the crappy cloud cover here. I am sure the O.P. will do just fine. As for the job situation, I don't think you have to worry too much. Most Californians that move here are doing just fine; the over 50 San Franciscans that I have met and live in the neighborhoods where I live, anyway. Cheers!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:27 AM

There are lots of microclimates in the Bay Area. Downtown San Francisco is much different than the south bay, for example. Berkley, Walnut Creek much les fogg. We don't really know exactly where the OP lives in the SF metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland