Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:36 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times

Advertisements

I agree with Leisesturm's point on this basis.....
From what I have read... The FBI could have stepped in with an arrest, or at least psychiatric evaluation Long, LONG before the van with the phony explosives was made up.

To me, the FBI now appears to have been more driven to make news headlines and scare the population of Portland than to get help to a troubled young man. What, maybe a year the FBI was working to insure that young man didn't actually hurt anyone? And they couldn't have cause to arrest him in the act of buying the fake explosives off the FBI? They actually had to wait until the van was in place and the young man dialed the phone number?

It do appear a little bit of show boating or staging for the national news media was involved here.

I hope for the reputation of the FBI that I have read the newspapers incorrectly.

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM

666 posts, read 1,844,026 times
So if the FBI did step in and arrest him earlier (assuming they could), what would the crime have been? Illegal posession of explosives? How much time would he have done? Maybe they waited so he could be charged with what he intended to do, and that was to kill / hurt / maim innocent men, women, and children.

I just find it odd that some of the most outspoken uber-liberals on this board seem to be giving this "troubled young man" more respect than they give people who don't agree with their political viewpoints. Pretend he was wearing a "Palin 2012" t-shirt when he dialed the cell phone to explode the bomb...oh the conundrum you'd be in.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
...... Pretend he was wearing a "Palin 2012" t-shirt when he dialed the cell phone to explode the bomb...oh the conundrum you'd be in....
No, it would be just more evidence of his mental instability and cause for the belief he should be institutionalized in a padded cell......

But leaving gallows humor aside, I have no idea what the motivation of the FBI was, or is, in allowing the plot to progress as it did. I am not a lawyer, nor a legal expert. My thoughts think a part of it was show-boating (as in job security for FBI agents in Portland), but I admit, whatever will most likely not be made public. It will all come down to the courts at some time in the future. I will not be called to serve on the Jury, and I suspect many others won't be either. I actually have faith in the trial by jury process; but only when the jury is fairly and unbiasedly selected as representing the community.

Phil

Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,352 times
While I would never underestimate the desire of the police or FBI to grandstand, and I'm sure that may have played a part, if they, as LeftCoastee said, had made an arrest too early, the charge may have been pretty trivial, and resulted in our poor, tortured young man being out in the mix with an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

BTW, anyone who thinks that living in the USA isn't anything short of paradise compared to Somalia probably couldn't locate Somalia on a map. "Ripped from his home?" How about "hit the jackpot?"

Angry, crazy people exist in every society and every culture. Is there really much of a difference between one of our many instances of teenagers going on shooting sprees in school and wanting to bomb a gathering of people? Not to me. Unfortunately, there is an outlet for the Muslim version, and certain people are using those angry, crazy people to their own ends by encouraging them to join the "jihad."

They give the crazy people a focus and fan the flames. The only difference between someone like Nidal Hasan, who went on a shooting spree at Fort Hood, and various shooting rampages is that Hasan shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he gunned people down.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,178 times
I'm not a huge fan of the FBI by any means, but in this case, the FBI acted properly.

The subject was looking to kill as many Portlanders as humanly possible. Luckily the FBI got turned on to this guy before a real terrorist did. The fact that he set up the van with the bomb and dialed the phone number shows clear intent that he wanted to cause mass casualties in downtown Portland. If the FBI didn't do anything, he would of eventually coordinated with real terrorists and that bomb would not of been a phony.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
As one who has had to deal with a family member with impaired judgement the options for committing a person who is mentally ill are few, even those intent on mayhem. This is one area of the law that doesn't protect society effectively. Our jails and prisons have become mental institutions and our police have been put in a difficult position.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 AM

63 posts, read 274,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
Hmm....

From what I read:

Youth
F B I
caught
no bomb exploded

I give it 18 months before he starts his prison term, and all the courtroom stuff is ended.

but still, hats off to the FBI for a good job done.
More like:

Youth
FBI
Set up
Bomb never existed.

Portland as a city refuses to cooperate with anti-terror task forces, at least those that are avoidable. The FBI and Homeland Security set the young man up in order to convince Portlanders to get with the program and embrace the fear. This is officially speculation, but many of my fellow Portlanders agree that it was a set up, and that Portland was specifically targeted by the government, specifically for it's liberal agenda.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Oh please. Enough with the set-up. They could set me up, and you wouldn't find me driving any bomb downtown. Everyone wants to blame someone else, like a bunch of five-year-olds.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:20 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post
More like:

Youth
FBI
Set up
Bomb never existed.

Portland as a city refuses to cooperate with anti-terror task forces, at least those that are avoidable. The FBI and Homeland Security set the young man up in order to convince Portlanders to get with the program and embrace the fear. This is officially speculation, but many of my fellow Portlanders agree that it was a set up, and that Portland was specifically targeted by the government, specifically for it's liberal agenda.
Seriously? I'm surprised you didnt say it was a set up because he was black too. Your theory that these agencies have enough time on their hands to concoct this kind of crap is delusional

Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
On April 15, 2013, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his older brother detonated explosives near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. 3 people were killed and 264 injured, more than 120 of them grievously so. The older brother was killed in the resulting police response and Tsarnaev was seriously injured in the firefight with police that ensued soon after their attack. He survived, however, and was eventually tried in July. As of this morning Mohamed Mohamud remains unsentenced. It took more than three years to get him to trial, during which time he aged out of being a sympathetic, troubled teen into a more toughened failed terrorist. Intentional? Even though he was found guilty of wrongdoing by a jury in January of this year, the prosecution keeps delaying the sentencing phase. Their latest request for another delay was June 5, 2013. They are asking for a delay until September 6, 2013. Why they need this time no one knows nor has anyone asked it would appear. They only had three years to think about what they wanted for a sentence for this kid. In light of the fact that an actual terror attack with dead and injured has already been tried, what exactly should the sentence for a failed attack... one with all the earmarks of an entrapment... exactly how many more years of this mans life should be taken by the state of Portland for his reckless disregard, and if you say "all of them". Then... what do you do with Tsarnaev? Do you really think they will put him to death? And if they do not, do you really think Mohamud deserves the same sentence as someone who has caused so much death and destruction?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland