Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 PM

48 posts, read 128,202 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to buy a condo or home in or around Portland for $250,000. max?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Yes. Start looking at Trulia.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I am one of those people who says that the first step in the home purchasing process is to vet and select a home inspector. You need a person who knows construction in all of its aspects, who has lived in the area long enough to know what problems to look for, and who is on your side (not the 'deal'). This is true even if the home is new.

Condos have their own issues because owners must work together so take time to get to know the other owners, read the HOA minutes for the last year or two and the reserve study.

Also, read the Portland Housing Blog for general housing information with an attitude.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:09 AM

127 posts, read 306,695 times
More than possible. Portland market crashed about 30% from its pre-recession high and pretty much in a holding pattern for now. Abundant homes and condos around the 250k ball park, it may be the standard rate now. Lots of public auctions in the new development areas. More selections in quiet mature neighborhoods than in the past. Best bargains are in newer california-type homes in Happy Valley and Hillsboro (both near Portland) with fancy kitchens and 2-car garages, but traffic is pretty bad getting to those areas. Once you reach the area, it's fine.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
I also agree with a resounding YES

however, the term location, location location does apply here. Don't expect to live in the Pearl district, and have an 850 sq ft, 2 bed, with office/study for that price. You might not even end up in the core areas of the city of Portland. Others have given you good advise on where to look. Most important in my opinion, know where your job or employment is located and go for a short commute to work.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM

This is all good to know! Thank you!! So I've heard Trulia, Happy Valley and Hillsboro! About the traffic... do these areas have the Tri-Met (that's the name of your public railway system, right?) Could I get into Portland without having a car and avoid the traffic? I dream of going carless, but it's not mandatory.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:00 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
trulia is a website where you can view homes for sale. (see also: realtor-dot-com, movoto-dot-com, hotpads-dot-com)

You can generally go without a car but outside of the city it gets increasingly more difficult to do so unless you are willing to walk to a bus stop, take two or three buses, take the train, take two or three buses, walk to your destination....etc. Basically, it's not like NYC where you can take the subway to within a couple of blocks of where you are trying to go. Here's a map: TriMet: Rail System Map (MAX, WES and Streetcar)
TriMet: WES Commuter Rail Service
....and if you are from a major metropolitan US city you will laugh at the traffic here.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:30 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Start here:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area
use the system map.

Happy Valley is not a good place to live without a car. It is a standard 'burb Car-Is-King community.
If you wish to live carless, or even significantly reduced car usage, you need to be in a neighborhood where the infrastructure for living carless is in place. (Grocery store is a lug-able distance away, TriMet buses are on an 18 minute "Frequent Service" route rather than once every 35 minute schedule, and so forth.) You will need to be living in Portland area for a bit before you decide where you want to live and attempt to be carless.

What you decide is OK for being carless, isn't OK to some others. You need some time to get aquatinted with living in Portland before you plunk down your money to purchase a condo.

Be aware, some Portland neighborhoods offer Zip-Car which is a pay-by-the-hour rental car system. You set up your account on the Internet, and when you need to reserve a car, you do so over the Internet. Cars are parked in specific walkable spots in your neighborhood, and after you have done your major food run, you return car to the same reserved spot. As you would expect ZipCar is mostly available in high population density areas of the City of Portland for the most part. Google search for Zip Cars in Portland for more details.

Have you Googled: Moving to Portland?
Do so. Lots in info on Portland's neighborhoods, each having it's own 'vibe' or feel. Be aware a few of the hits you get from the Google search are hosted by Real Estate ladies and are only about City of Portland, the hits are also a bit Rah-Rah cheerleader-ish positive (what were you expecting for Real Estate Ladies?); but still very good info you should read.

If you are looking at real estate or rentals on Craigslist dot com; City of Portland in in Multnomah County; Hillsboro and Beaverton are in Washington County; Happy Valley and West Linn are in Clackamas county; North across the Columbia River is Clark County with Vancouver Washington (not to be confused with Vancouver B.C in Canada.) the other tabs on the Craigslist dot com Portland pages are for further out counties surrounding the main 4 counties in the Portland Metro area.

Phil

PS: Rose in Rain beat me to the posting of about the same info. I just use more words than she does, so it takes me longer to compose a post. Read her post!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the links to the public railway system. Would you say most people in Portland and surrounding areas have cars?

Another questions: How much do people generally pay to heat their homes/condos? I'm looking to probably buy a 2-3 bedroom home/condo. What should I expect?

Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM

Thanks for your info, too, Phil. I just saw your post. I'm a Unitarian Universalist, and I'm hoping to live not far from or an easy commute to First Unitarian Church at 1011 Southwest 13th, Portland, OR 97201
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland