Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:19 PM

48 posts, read 127,437 times

Advertisements

This is what I'm looking for and hoping to find if I move to Portland. I would like to live in a mostly liberal community, where people care about one another, make eye contact, and feel comfortable being themselves. I'd like to see a reasonable amount of tolerance and acceptance of diversity and compassion for the vulnerable. I do NOT want to live in an area where people are image conscious and materialistic. I want a friendly, down-to-earth environment.
I have dreamed for a long time of going carless. In downtown Portland, it sounds like it's an option. Another poster told me about zip cars which will help for big shopping trips. I like the idea of great public transportation. I'm environmentally conscious. So this is very appealing to me.
I want natural beauty and lush greenery. I guess it's a given that I'll find that.
I want healthful, ethical food choices with plenty of farmers markets, health food stores and vegan/vegetarian/raw restaurants. Hopefully these will have reasonable prices.
I'm coming from Southern California, and I don't want a repeat of Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM

499 posts, read 1,441,075 times
You're describing Portland. Just remember there's no utopia so don't set your expectations too high. It's a vast improvement over S. Cal. Best of luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,593,042 times
Yes, sounds like it to me too. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,996,787 times
Portland isn't perfect, but it does have everything you listed.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,407,948 times
Pie eyed starry dreamer, a lot of I wants.
Bring some money (a lot) with you.
You will find all that you want, but like it has been said, you get what you pay for.
You can create the life you want anywhere you are........................with enough cash.

Portland is just another city.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 11-29-2010 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 PM

178 posts, read 506,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Pie eyed starry dreamer, a lot of I wants.
Bring some money (a lot) with you.
You will find all that you want, but like it has been said, you get what you pay for.
You can create the life you want anywhere you are........................with enough cash.

Portland is just another city.
While I'd never advocate the original poster take advice from someone who doesn't currently live in Portland/Oregon (i.e. - me) over advice from someone who seemingly does (i.e. - you), but your response seems particularly misplaced.

The original poster is clearly trying to move away from a materialistic culture and your advice to him is to "bring money"?? And that your life is as good as your money will make it??

Um, yours is the attitude he's trying to avoid. Perhaps not a good sign, given you seem to be from Portland.

OP, I am not a Portland resident, but have visited the city, done a ton of internet research and am a solid job offer (after doing multiple rounds of interviewing) away from making the move. OF COURSE, every place is what you make of it. And Portland is just a city. But don't let that philosophy outweigh the truths that not every city is created equal, and while every place is what you make of it, some places actually ARE better fits right off the bat for some. Portland sounds like a MUCH MUCH better fit for you than southern LA. I think it has a lot of what you're looking for, and assuming you aren't fearful of the considerable weather change, would be a great place for you to land. It checks a lot of your boxes. The rest is up to you.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM

48 posts, read 127,437 times
Thanks, puerco, Rob, aroseinrain and Jay,

I appreciate the confirmation that Portland has what I'm looking for. I don't expect a Utopia. I'm more realistic than that.
As for the weather, I'm taking a trip there in a couple months, and then I'll get a better idea of whether or not I can deal with it. The weather will be a big change if I move there, but I have a feeling I'd be okay with it. I actually have Raynaud's disease However, I think I can keep it at bay with hand warmers
I've been looking at condos in the Northwest and Southwest districts of Portland, and some of them are within my means. I have the property values stay the way they are for awhile until I'm ready to buy!!
I'm living in Orange County, California. If you've ever been here you know it's very status/image oriented. It can be a very unhealthy environment, psychologically speaking. I look forward to living somewhere where people are not so self-obsessed. Anyways, enough of that.
I appreciate your responses. I'll probably have many more questions!!

Oh by the way, I'm female.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM

639 posts, read 1,593,042 times
Welcome, I'm sure you can find a work-around for the Raynaud's disease - it's not the cold or rain that freaks folks out it's the clouds. Where you are from the sky is blue, the sky isn't blue here and it gets dark really early in the day.

I personally like it and find the California sun and blue skies oppressive and relentless, but I was born here so it's in my blood. Lot's of transplants have to learn to like it or at least deal with it - you won't know just from visiting, but from what you've said it sounds like it would be worth a try.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,307,258 times
Quote:
The original poster is clearly trying to move away from a materialistic culture and your advice to him is to "bring money"?? And that your life is as good as your money will make it??
Because you do not live here or are trying to make a living here I think you are missing pdxMIKEpdx's point. It is very important and I cannot stress that enough that if you do not come here with a job to bring enough money to live on while you are doing your job hunting.

That's probably true whenever someone relocates to a new place but especially so in Portland because unless the transplantee has a very high specialized skill or very good luck he or she will need something with which to pay the rent and buy food etc.

This is very important advice.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 PM

172 posts, read 417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Because you do not live here or are trying to make a living here I think you are missing pdxMIKEpdx's point. It is very important and I cannot stress that enough that if you do not come here with a job to bring enough money to live on while you are doing your job hunting.

That's probably true whenever someone relocates to a new place but especially so in Portland because unless the transplantee has a very high specialized skill or very good luck he or she will need something with which to pay the rent and buy food etc.

This is very important advice.

Let me add you should have AT LEAST 6 months of savings at all times in Portland. Layoffs are comment, recession or not. This is something a lot of people regret now as their unemployment runs out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: