Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:16 PM

127 posts, read 424,071 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

We are hoping to move to Portland from Knoxville Tennessee for a residency. We have a 3 year old and a dog. We have always ended up living in areas that are more artistic; areas with personality, (i.e. No Homeowners Associations, Cookie cutter homes, etc.) but we are open to living anywhere that is nice and safe. I was hoping that I could get some advice on what areas are safe/not safe and are family friendly areas with good preschools. I would be working at the VA Medical Center near the university and hope for an easy commute. Any and all info about any areas would be greatly appreciated.

We would be looking for a home to rent
(2bd/2ba at least) for $1300 or less per month, is this feasible? My husband has experience in personal training, management, and serving, are people hiring in these areas?

Many thanks!!!

Last edited by DCStudent; 12-17-2010 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
OHSU has/had and excellent Montessori preschool with preference given to students. Check with the VA to see if it will be available to you.

Your housing budget is very optimistic, IMHO, particularly when you factor in utilities. Your big challenge will be to find something convenient to the hospital that meets your needs. If you can 'bite the bullet' (I trust you aren't an anesthesiologist) for the duration of your residency and live in one of the housing towers at the base of the OHSU tram you might well find a 2 bedroom where they accept a dog in your price range.. and you won't have any problems with parking because there is a tram to pill hill. [Picture your 3yo taking the tram to preschool!! S/he will share that story with your grandchildren.] One additional advantage is that these buildings are new and are reputed to be very energy efficient. Take a peek at Craig's list, screen on OHSU and dog and look for 'south waterfront'. Because residencies turnover at about the same time there may be for-rent notices on the OHSU/VA bulletin boards that would work for you. Inquire.

Portland has several artistic or funky neighborhoods but none fit both your budget and likely commute needs. I recall a relatively recent thread where we kicked around housing for a family where a parent was on-call at OHSU.

Employment for your husband may be an issue. None of us knows what the economy will look like when you move but... he may need to scramble.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:04 PM

127 posts, read 424,071 times
Many thanks! Our budget would actually allow for us to pay up to $1500 per month if that would give us more living options.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Yes it would, I think. I still believe that you should live convenient to the hospital. As a resident you will work long hours, you don't want to spend your free time chasing parking and commuting.

I grew up in artsy Portland and am a cheerleader for that neighborhood BUT were I in your shoes I would choose a place to live that maximizes the time you will have available to be with your child. The South Waterfront isn't a real neighborhood yet but right now that shouldn't be one of your priorities. You have two big demands: family and residency. All the rest can be postponed. Keep your life simple now.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Just as a suggestion, Google Map the VA hospital, and
turn on 1st the Terrain feature,
and then look at a satellite view----

VA hospital and OHSU hospital are on top of a large bluff, about 700 to 800 foot high. That is why it is called "Pill Hill" as Nell posted. The tram is a gondola aerial lift system that carries people from the bottom to the top of Pill Hill and is part of TriMet, or local Mass Transit authority.

There is car parking restrictions for employees up on Pill Hill, which you should refer to any web page the HR contact you have can refer you to.

If you wish another point of view than Nell's, go to Mass Transit web site:
TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area
and look at the system map for bus line #8.
I don't know if using a Bus line would work out for a resident or not.

Artistic areas:
- The high end is what is called (s)Nob Hill, after the famous San Francisco neighborhood, which is the NW 21st, 22nd, 23rd area. Lot of young artistic DINKS, and well paid (or trust fund) singles. Because of the night life and social life up there.
- The starving artist neighborhood is in the Alameda Neighborhood near the bus line #8 and NE Alberta St.

The competition is (and you should Google the terms) 1st Thursday Portland (Art Galleries in the Pearl); Third Thursday in Portland (NW 23rd art crawl) vs Last Thursday in Portland (NE Alberta Street) There are others, but none of the others have the artistic / social / restaurant / pub impact as the above.

Oh, and don't forget to Google: Moving to Portland.
A couple of hits for web pages that offer lots of City of Portland neighborhood info, hosted by Real Estate Ladies; A bit Rah-Rah cheerleader tone, but then what do you expect from Real Estate Ladies? Still lots of good info, but read between the lines as it were.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
If you want good solid family neighborhoods, with enough to keep you interested as an adult, yet very family oriented and close to downtown and OHSU/Pill Hill via bus and car, you might want to check out the Sellwood/Westmoreland/Woodstock/Brooklyn nieghborhoods.
Eastmoreland will be out of your price range.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM

The only problem with these neighborhoods is that they require driving with the attendant parking issues and crossing a bridge.

If the OP were my daughter I would tell her to forget about that. Once she has completed her residency should they decide to stay in the community (as MANY do) there will be lots of options. Right now the time demand of a residency should be her prime consideration in the selection of housing.

As many who have read my postings I am a booster of NW as an artsy neighborhood with family friendly resources. That said, now is not the time for them.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Nell Plotts:

But the OP was asking about Artistic Vibes in a neighborhood. I can see why you suggested South waterfront for the reasons you pointed out, but that is still Condo Canyon country... just needs some tumbleweeds, and the sound of a lone pair of boots with spurs echoing amongst them canyon high walls.. {cue the harmonica with spaghetti western music} .. a local grocery store wouldn't hurt either.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM

I agree it doesn't meet her expressed desire for an artistic neighborhood and I was in my grandmother role. Her other desire is a good preschool (high quality day care?). The South Waterfront is condo canyon an I wouldn't want to live there permanently either. Most residencies are 3 years. At worst, after they become familiar with the area and she is settled in to her program, they can find a house.

An apartment meeting her stated desires can be found in NW Portland, the neighborhood that I am very familiar with. Quality preschools and daycare is also there, but she seems to want a house. It is possible to find a rental house in that neighborhood but they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Hillsdale might meet her needs but I know nothing of the early education/daycare there so I hesitate to recommend it.

She could bike w/child to the tram from the John's landing area but again we are talking about apartments/condos.

Odds are her best resource is the bb at the VA & OHSU for a house convenient to the hospital. There is nothing on Craig's list at the moment.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 12-18-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM

62 posts, read 122,038 times
I recently graduated from OHSU and the #8 bus is your best bet... it can be downtown so you can basically live in any neighborhood with a bus that takes you downtown. This is going to be the only real economical commuting solution since there is basically no parking available unless you are a patient. I live out in Lake O and work downtown (did both full time) and parked DT and took the #8 up the hill. If you are are not a patient, that is just what you have to do.

The #8 runs late at night and early in the morning so I never had a problem getting up to OHSU at any hour. Plus you can get a yearly pass at a discount.

Good luck to your husband with the job hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: