Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 PM

29 posts, read 130,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobefobik View Post
I'll give you that; Tigard and Beaverton are living Hells. I expect Ken and Barbie to be jogging around in their sweat pants near their jam packed, nature destroying neighborhoods.

I wasn't trying to be offensive in any way; clearly you are more familier with Gresham than I am. But I don't think the statistical info that I've heard regarding crime is necessarily inaccurate. I'm not saying that Gresham is a crime infested war zone, but I believe that it is worse compared to the rest of the Portland area. And probably Rockwood is an exceptionally bad area.

My apologies.
WOW, its quite nice of you to apologize once someone stands up to your "opinion" which apparently is based on news reports that feed on peoples fears. I think its a shame that you spent all that time saying the things that you did on this post about a part of Oregon you apparently dont know much about. Im new to Oregon (been here for 2 months) and you made a point of making me feel bad or ignorant for choosing to live in Gresham. I wont even go near your comment about how it was in the 1900's, I think its pretty safe to say that most places are quite different than they were in the 1900's. You do realize that was over 100 years ago? People come to this forum for information and I think it would be wise to maybe comment on what you know, not what the evening news is telling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
Poorly designed neighborhoods? Ugly? Gresham has some lovely neighborhoods. Lovely scenery too. It is much more attractive than say... Beaverton or Tigard. Gresham has some of the nicest family friendly neighborhoods in the Portland area. There are million dollar homes in Gresham and there are affordable neighborhoods too.

There is shopping and restaurants too. Not just in the historic downtown area. Gresham Station is a mini Bridgeport Village that was built several years before Bridgeport.

All of those news reports concern the Rockwood area which is a very small section of Gresham that borders Portland. Where Stark and Burnside cross and the surrounding few blocks. Technically it is Gresham so the news reports say Gresham. This part of Gresham didn't even get annexed into Gresham all that long ago. It was part of Portland.

Anyone considering Gresham should not let people who don't know anything about Gresham stop them from looking to buy or rent in Gresham.

No, I don't work for the city of Gresham but I have lived near Gresham for over thirty years and spend a great deal of time in Gresham. I am in Gresham at least once a week. Often more. I shop in Gresham, I dine in Gresham, I have friends and family that live in Gresham, some of my doctors are in Gresham, my mechanic is in Gresham etc.

And no, I'm not low income and can't afford to live anywhere else and neither are my friends and family.
Lee, I cant tell you how nice is it to hear nice things about Gresham. Its hard when you move to a new state and all you hear is negativity about the location you live. Its too bad that more people dont experience a place before they spout their opinions as facts. Thank you for your kind words about my new home, Gresham.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasway View Post
WOW, its quite nice of you to apologize once someone stands up to your "opinion" which apparently is based on news reports that feed on peoples fears. I think its a shame that you spent all that time saying the things that you did on this post about a part of Oregon you apparently dont know much about. Im new to Oregon (been here for 2 months) and you made a point of making me feel bad or ignorant for choosing to live in Gresham. I wont even go near your comment about how it was in the 1900's, I think its pretty safe to say that most places are quite different than they were in the 1900's. You do realize that was over 100 years ago? People come to this forum for information and I think it would be wise to maybe comment on what you know, not what the evening news is telling you.
My opinion of Gresham did not change after making an apology. I simply did not want to offend anyone. Although, I can't say the same for you. If the news stations were feeding us untruthful information, they would not be in business in nearly every city in the entire country, or the world for that matter. I'm not the only one that feels this way about Gresham, which you should be able to see from various other commenters.

In my first posting, I merely felt bad that you had to make a decision from 2,000 miles away without being able to see where you were moving. I was not trying to make you feel bad or ignorant for doing so. You obviously are a very serious and sensitive person with no sense of sarcasm or humor and take things very literally. You must be from the east coast.

I think it's funny that you fixate on my first comment about the 1900s. That was a statement; I wasn't trying to prove anything with it. Of course all cities have changed since the, and Gresham has gone downhill in my opinion. I would restate my reasons for saying that, but I'm sure that you've been monitering this post and can find that information for yourself. By the way, I had to work in Gresham on various occasions and so I do know my way around there.

You will clearly fit right in in Gresham.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Quote:
I'll give you that; Tigard and Beaverton are living Hells. I expect Ken and Barbie to be jogging around in their sweat pants near their jam packed, nature destroying neighborhoods.
You just made my head explode. You're describing the Pearl District more than you are Beaverton.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:00 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasway View Post
Lee, I cant tell you how nice is it to hear nice things about Gresham. Its hard when you move to a new state and all you hear is negativity about the location you live. Its too bad that more people dont experience a place before they spout their opinions as facts. Thank you for your kind words about my new home, Gresham.
I'm sorry for all the rudeness you're encountering here in this thread.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
My opinion of Gresham did not change after making an apology. I simply did not want to offend anyone. Although, I can't say the same for you. If the news stations were feeding us untruthful information, they would not be in business in nearly every city in the entire country, or the world for that matter. I'm not the only one that feels this way about Gresham, which you should be able to see from various other commenters.

In my first posting, I merely felt bad that you had to make a decision from 2,000 miles away without being able to see where you were moving. I was not trying to make you feel bad or ignorant for doing so. You obviously are a very serious and sensitive person with no sense of sarcasm or humor and take things very literally. You must be from the east coast.

I think it's funny that you fixate on my first comment about the 1900s. That was a statement; I wasn't trying to prove anything with it. Of course all cities have changed since the, and Gresham has gone downhill in my opinion. I would restate my reasons for saying that, but I'm sure that you've been monitering this post and can find that information for yourself. By the way, I had to work in Gresham on various occasions and so I do know my way around there.

You will clearly fit right in in Gresham.
Actually I am from the west coast but I appreciate your concern.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I'm sorry for all the rudeness you're encountering here in this thread.
I appreciate that, I think Ive had a lot of good insights from people that post on here and it was very helpful when it came to moving here. Its an interesting mix of those that love Portland and some that are just not happy here.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,545 times
I completely agree with Lee151. I Live in Fairview Village & grew up most of my life in Gresham. You defiantly get nice neighborhoods & absolutely scary neighborhoods meaning Rockwood. I actually do not go through Rockwood, & ignore it at all cost!!! If you want to see how things change then Take a drive & start from Division street off the freeway & follow it up to Gresham, You will defiantly see a nicer difference as you make your way to Gresham. Unless you do go through Rockwood. My husband owns his own Real Estate Company & it is his job to research the neighborhood the house's that his clients are interested in & that means Crime area's. Hate to tell you But every Part of Portland , Gresham, Troutdale & Fairview, Beaverton, Hillsboro, Oregon City actually have places that have crime incedents. So for those that are saying that Gresham is a Horable place to live needs to do ALL research before making an untrue statement that gresham is always on the news about crimes & a Unsafe place to live. Also, you couldn't be more wrong on this Statement: "Basically... to be blunt... all the poor people who can no longer afford Portland are moving to Gresham". In Every part of this United State is field with Unfortunite people, that can't afford higher rent! but that doesn't mean that they all run to gresham because of the rent! How about checking before making a rude comment about people that live here in gresham. The rent is the same around the entire portland area! It depends on the place to rent if is a gated community or what it has to offer for the tents to make it a higher price. I am fortunite to say that I am not Poor or can't afford a place, infact I live in Fairview Village. One of the award winner neighborhoods in the Gresham area! Houses in this area Starts low $400,000-Up$$$$$, A 1 Bedroom Apartments are $785.00 or Higher & a 3 bedroom is $1,400 & up. I also lived in West Linn & Lake Oswego, & they also have their share of not so great neighborhoods. So keep in mind that just because One neighborhood has it's problems doesn't mean that entire area is the same.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-16-2008 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: edited out a member name

Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
Alright, well I moved from Gresham Oregon about 9 months ago. I am 22 and am going to Boise State university. I lived in Gresham my whole life by Sam Barlow and my dad worked next to gresham fred meyer. I want to cry thinking about what has happened to Gresham. I will never go back there because after 9 months and visiting it has changed sooo much. If you have kids I would not recommend living there. I went to Barlow and let me tell you its a terrible school. Drug deals, fights, didnt learn one thing. There are soo many drugs that have came to gresham from the rift raft of the max and from portland. My parents retired and moved to boise because they could not stand it there anymore. I would really think about moving there, because its not a great town and its really sad what it has turned into.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 AM

321 posts, read 1,135,255 times
Gresham is a big town, folks. It is the 4th biggest town in Oregon - bigger than Bend, Hillsboro, and Beaverton. There are 100,000 people living there; they are not all engaged in crime, nor are they all poor, etc. The Rockwood area has a bad reputation, but that is just one neighborhood. I have driven through Rockwood more times than I can count, and have never had any problems. It is a jumbled, unattractive, and dirty (by Portland standards) area, but most of the people I see walking down the sidewalks to school/the bus/services are women and children - not exactly filling me with terror. Yes, there are idiots over there, and people who look like they are high, etc. but that is just ONE section of Gresham. I have a good friend who lives in the Bella Vista Park area, and I visit her regularly. I have never felt unsafe there and it's an area of modest, well-kept homes with lovely yards. It's quiet, etc. That's just one little area. I have another friend who lives off Wallula near Division. On one side of the street is Townfair apartment complex (rents in the $650-850 range) and across the street is Columbia Trails apartments, where the rents are in the $900-1200 range. Townfair has lower earning occupants, but it is not an unsafe place to live, and the apartments are decent. Columbia Trails is newer and has nicer finishes and amenities, but they are both within walking distance to the big shopping/restaurant strip mall and the bus lines off Division.

It's very ignorant to write off all of Gresham as gang-infested and crime-ridden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland