Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM

271 posts, read 393,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark836 View Post
"most homeless people are not the long-term homeless"
- Is this your opinion or something you have read as statistic. If a statistic please provide proof.

"don't believe that just because someone has no money, they should be subjected to a moralistic bureaucracy"
-What does this mean? If you talking about law, most law is based on Morality. Are you saying that you don't like because it is not your definition of morality?

"The homeless people are not the problem; the massive inequality and lack of justice in housing is; "

- Man, I thought this forum was to talk about Portland, not to spew some nonsensical liberalism. So, let us be quite clear. While your on your soapbox preaching Marxism, think about this. You will lose the argument every time. And that is MY opinion.
So, Mark836, what is your solution? I hope it's not "The Final Solution"? Homelessness isn't going anywhere. Does it ruin your day that much, when someone ask you for change? If it does, you might need thicker skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM

206 posts, read 466,229 times
Quote:
- Man, I thought this forum was to talk about Portland, not to spew some nonsensical liberalism.
What about your recent thread 'Oregon...can it compete' which didn't mention Portland but was all about your neoliberal economic prescriptions? I don't see homelessness as a criminal justice issue, but a social justice one which should be remedied by universal rights as is done in my example of Denmark. I don't subscribe to any isms, nor do I need to in order to reach my conclusions.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM

46 posts, read 77,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
So, Mark836, what is your solution? I hope it's not "The Final Solution"? Homelessness isn't going anywhere. Does it ruin your day that much, when someone ask you for change? If it does, you might need thicker skin.

Well, lets talk facts.
Fact: Poster clearly has a bent, a far left bent.
Fact: Far left are on the bottom of the totem pool when giving to charity. (and yes, there are statistics that clearly prove this)
Fact: Far left are bottom of the totem pool again when volunteering time to charitable organizations.

So, if you want to help or contribute, Fantastic! Join the solution. But take your hands off other people's wallet and stop the hypocrisy.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Well, lets talk facts.
Fact: Poster clearly has a bent, a far left bent.
Fact: Far left are on the bottom of the totem pool when giving to charity. (and yes, there are statistics that clearly prove this)
Fact: Far left are bottom of the totem pool again when volunteering time to charitable organizations.

So, if you want to help or contribute, Fantastic! Join the solution. But take your hands off other people's wallet and stop the hypocrisy.
What's a totem pool?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM

206 posts, read 466,229 times
Quote:
hypocrisy.
Yes, I'm on the independent left, not tied to any ideology or political party. The fact is, there's no money in it, unlike political views which conveniently work to the benefit of the wealthy and big corporations. So while Bill Gates and the Koch brothers have billions of dollars to throw at "charities", a young person like myself who has seen poverty in Oregon doesn't; which is why I didn't advocate charity in my posts. Charity is to human rights as astroturfing is to genuine grassroots movements. Why don't you keep your hands off the wallets of the poor in Oregon and not suggest deep cuts to services which you don't personally have to use to survive? Austerity is not charitable, and people's lives should not be subject to the whims of the rich.

If you want some real facts, try the two volume 'Encyclopedia Of Homelessness," don't personally attack me. That's all the time I'm going to spend on you.

Last edited by Vaedrem; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

46 posts, read 77,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaedrem View Post
Yes, I'm on the independent left, but not tied to any ideology or political party. The fact is, there's no money in it, unlike political views which conveniently work to the benefit of the wealthy and big corporations. So while Bill Gates and the Koch brothers have billions of dollars to throw at "charities", a young person like myself who has seen poverty in Oregon doesn't; which is why I didn't advocate charity in my posts. Charity is to human rights as astroturfing is to genuine grassroots movements. Why don't you keep your hands off the wallets of the poor in Oregon and not suggest deep cuts to services which you don't personally have to use to survive? Austerity is not charitable, and people's lives should not be subject to the whims of the rich.

If you want some real facts, try the two volume 'Encyclopedia Of Homelessness," don't personally attack me.
You are correct. I apologize for the attack. That is not right. Plus, I misspelled "pole".

I do understand the frustration of seeing many in misery So lets agree to disagree with the solution.

I hope and wish everything works out great for you now and in the future.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM

333 posts, read 810,490 times
Not even sure if I should post this on this thread since it's gotten contentious, but... where have all the homeless on the entrance/exit ramps on Hwy 26 gone? I used to see some so often I noticed when they weren't there and wondered how they were. Anybody know if the police don't allow them to panhandle anymore or they all finally got jobs and housing?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:32 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprightly View Post
... where have all the homeless on the entrance/exit ramps on Hwy 26 gone? ....
Cold, rain, and snow will cause an attrition rate. Warmer and drier weather much further south long I-5 will attract (beckon?) homeless. Same thing happened a year ago in February and March also.

People begging for money has dropped along the I-205 ramps also; maybe a 40% drop? 50% drop? IMO, numbers might go up again in May.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times
Maybe they are on vacation.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:43 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Maybe they are on vacation.
Could be....
March is the season for reduced rates in Las Vegas, plus the SoCal beaches are not so crowded this time of year, Don't know if Disneyland in SoCal has discounts or not during March. Late Easter, you know.

Personally, I think it more to do with a seasonal migration, but you may be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland