Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 02:34 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times

Advertisements

It's almost always easier when you actually try to obtain it, rather than sitting back and complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I find it just plain weird that some of you would take the time to stalk someone to another forum and bring your gossip back here.
FYI, I was not stalking.
The forum was mentioned long ago, and I googled it to see what it was all about.
It is a very interesting forum to read, and I found it very educational.
I actually learned a ton of stuff about homeless life that I wouldn't know otherwise.
Actually it was one of the better things that homelessadvocate has done for this forum!

So please keep your high and mighty opinions about our "weirdness" to yourself.
OK?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
FYI, I was not stalking.
The forum was mentioned long ago, and I googled it to see what it was all about.
I actually learned a ton of stuff about homeless life that I wouldn't know otherwise.
Actually it was one of the better things that homelessadvocate has done for this forum!

OK?
I agree. It's really interesting to get an honest point of view from people who really are homeless. I think I have mentioned Frank the sometime homeless guy who sold his portraits in front of what used to be Carl's Jr on the corner of 5th and Taylor. He would talk about being homeless and what it was about. I don't see him any longer when I go downtown. That forum makes me think of Frank.

I notice too that the kids who used to hang out in front of the store when it was Carl's Jr are gone. I used to buy extra burgers and pass them out to them when I bought myself one. That's how Frank and I got to talking. He thought it was a nice thing for me to do. But I don't see the kids any longer so maybe the new veggie restaurant got them moved permanently.

I don't see Frank any longer either. I hope he's okay.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
FYI, I was not stalking.

OK?
I'm sure it's an interesting forum and all, but the only thing I've ever seen you mention about it is a little snippet of gossip about another poster who obviously posts there. Because several of you seem to resent the OP's posts here, it does strike me as weird that anyone would seek him out elsewhere. If you found it interesting, you should have simply said so instead of some negative comment about the OP.

Quote:
In addition to the HUD housing and section 8 housing you mentioned there is median income housing usually built as a tax credit for the builder. They have to remain median income 50-80 percent usually, for a period of time then they can do whatever they want with them. Our building is for 60 years. There are several of these buildings in the pearl and downtown. These buildings aren't HUD or section 8 and they tend to cost more but they're fairly quick to get into and the Sitka has units as low as $400.
This is interesting. Can anyone qualify or do they have to have minor children, be disabled or be senior citizens?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's an interesting forum and all, but the only thing I've ever seen
you mention about it is a little snippet of gossip about another poster who
obviously posts there. Because several of you seem to resent the OP's posts
here, it does strike me as weird that anyone would seek him out elsewhere. If
you found it interesting, you should have simply said so instead of some
negative comment about the OP.
Gee thanks, mom.

The only thing worse than a gossip is a busybody.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:34 PM

Personally, I'd classify a busybody as someone who followed another poster to another forum and scampered back here to gossip about it, so I guess you win on both counts.

Anyway, back to the original topic, there are probably many reasons why Portland has such a large homeless population. Oldtintype has some good information on housing options, and I hope that it helps someone.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Geez give it a break.

Quote:
Personally, I'd classify a busybody as someone who followed another poster to
another forum and scampered back here to gossip about it,
You need to work on your reading comprehension, because as I wrote above, that's not what I did.
I guess you just like to start stupid little thread spats to get your jollies...

It isn't worth starting a war over and believe it or not, I really don't give a hoot in hell what YOU think.

I suppose you are the one person of purity who can afford to cast stones wherever you go.....

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-28-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 PM

No, I'm just someone who thinks it's weird to follow people to other forums and then come back here and post about it. And I'll freely admit -- again -- that the way some of the posters here tend to pile up on others is ....disconcerting, at the least. The way that some of you have ganged up on this homeless guy is simply boorish. He probably does have mental issues, but why does that make it OK for the lot of you to make him your online punching bag? the whole thing is -- weird.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:55 PM

I take it you weren't around last year when he assumed multiple (at least four) screen names and tried to turn the Portland forum upside down with his drivel and trolling posts?

There is a little bit of history behind this guy that you obviously aren't aware of.
Everybody gave him very sound advice and treated him with respect until he managed to tick us all off.
That's why he gets treated like he does now.

It's not because we are big bad meanies who like to be a' pickin' on poor innocent little homeless Johnny from Vegas.

Next time we will see if you are so understanding.
Go ahead and send him your love and kisses, because we won't.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-28-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 11:23 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
This is interesting. Can anyone qualify or do they have to have minor children, be disabled or be senior citizens?[/quote]

As long as you don't make more than the median income (50, 60, or 80% depending on the building) for your family size anyone qualifies (unless you're a single person who's a full time student). Look at websites such as the Sitka, the Ramona, Lovejoy Station, the Morrison, and the Yards at Union Station. Some are nicer than others. The downtown/Pearl ones are probably a little higher price wise than some of the options on the east side. Reach Housing has tons of buildings in SE and NE and just made Gray's Landing in the south waterfront and their prices seem much lower.

There are others as well in NE Portland, N Portland, etc. I don't know all of them...Sometimes they're hard to find as they don't end up showing up on the low income housing lists put out by HUD, etc. Some show up on the Housing Connections website though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland