Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,763,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Howard Schultz, I think that is his last name, who made Starbucks what it is today, is also one of those people.

Howard Schultz is a greedy SOB. Seattle Hall of Shame member. One of the most hated men in Seattle for all the damage he has done to the place just so he could earn a quick buck.

Again, shame on Howard "greedhead" Schultz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
Starbucks? Are you serious? That's the most inflated overpriced pretentious chain I have ever had the misfortune to encounter in all my 42 years! I tried walking in their once, looked at their "menu" and walked back out and went to mcdonalds for coffee, and never went back in! The type of person that supports places like starbucks gets no kudos from me.. Where's the "mel's diners" greasy spoons, and old time CHEAP coffee shops of yore? Are they completely extinct, to be run over by uppity overpriced starbucks and their clones? I suppose old fashioned greasy shops have went the way of the dodo.. No wonder I find myself despising this time period we live in! As we get more "advanced, modernized", we lose something precious, and the poor suffer for it! And no one seems to see it but me!!
Was there a question? Do I drink coffee at Starbucks? Uhhh... YES! Oh, and I LOVE it!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,135,741 times
There really wasn't much decent coffee around before Starbucks. I remember. Yes, they literally almost single-handedly transformed the sludge that was served at most places, upping the standards so that it's worth the price.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,626,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
There really wasn't much decent coffee around before Starbucks. I remember. Yes, they literally almost single-handedly transformed the sludge that was served at most places, upping the standards so that it's worth the price.
That's not true. Here in Oregon we were drinking quality coffee and espresso long before there was any such thing as a Starbucks. Supermarkets were stocking fresh roasted whole beans 40 years ago that I know of, and I have been told the practice dates back over 100 years. I have an antique home coffee grinder, still in excellent condition, that is over 100 years old.

I do remember that in the '80s it was almost impossible to find a decent cup of coffee east of Oregon.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM

17,620 posts, read 22,578,454 times
I don't drink coffee very often but when I was out & about, I liked getting a cup from 7-11......
I liked the taste.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,329,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Well, Homelessadvocate, you said (in a previous post of yours) that you will be here in about two weeks.
August 2nd if I remember correctly.

You'll have plenty of time this summer to scout out Portland and find your "old time CHEAP coffee shops of yore".

They are still around, you just have to find them.
I'm going on record here: Homelessadvocate will disappear in about two weeks. Another screenname or a sock puppet will appear with similar sentence structure and ideas that will be moving to Oregon, somewhere, to be homeless 'really soon now.'

Old 07-13-2013, 07:50 AM

135 posts, read 221,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I'm going on record here: Homelessadvocate will disappear in about two weeks. Another screenname or a sock puppet will appear with similar sentence structure and ideas that will be moving to Oregon, somewhere, to be homeless 'really soon now.'
hehe, you have in idea how WRONG you are! actually im being STRONG-ARMED out early by a slumlord, so ill actually be coming to Portland on the 16th instead! haha.. then ill be posting "locally" all the injustices towards the homeless and poor I see downtown!! maybe ill even post some pics for all to see!!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,411,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's not true. Here in Oregon we were drinking quality coffee and espresso long before there was any such thing as a Starbucks.
One of my friends used to own a late night coffee shop downtown. When they opened in the last 80's they were one of the few places in Portland that sold Espresso. They had a guy from Sri Lanka come in to teach them how to make coffee right and would have yearly mandatory all employee refresher courses taught by the same guy.

They had beans shipped daily next day air from Sir Lanka and would throw away anything older then three days because it looses too much flavor. On the few occasions their shipment didn't come in, they closed for the day.

They went out of business in the mid-90's not because of a lack of business, but because the building owner doubled their rent and then tripled that amount six months later.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:56 AM

347 posts, read 667,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's not true. Here in Oregon we were drinking quality coffee and espresso long before there was any such thing as a Starbucks. Supermarkets were stocking fresh roasted whole beans 40 years ago that I know of, and I have been told the practice dates back over 100 years. I have an antique home coffee grinder, still in excellent condition, that is over 100 years old.

I do remember that in the '80s it was almost impossible to find a decent cup of coffee east of Oregon.
I don't drink coffee but I think what woof meant was Starbucks made high quality/good tasting coffee popular (I'm not saying they make high quality/good tasting coffee, just saying they made it popular)...(s)he isn't saying they invented it. Before Starbucks most people seemed content to have their regular cup of coffee but, after Starbucks became more popular, people nation-wide seemed to become more connoisseurs of coffee and more willing to pay a bit extra for something they'll enjoy a lot more.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:05 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,617,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
hehe, you have in idea how WRONG you are! actually im being STRONG-ARMED out early by a slumlord, so ill actually be coming to Portland on the 16th instead! haha.. then ill be posting "locally" all the injustices towards the homeless and poor I see downtown!! maybe ill even post some pics for all to see!!
So now you have a landlord? So much for being homeless. Story changes each time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland