Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 AM

103 posts, read 297,897 times

Advertisements

I need to figure out the better neighborhoods around the Hillsdale area within 10 months. Please rate these apartments in the following criteria:

1) Infestations? Known to have cockroaches, mice, bed bugs, or spiders?

2) Mildew/mold problems on walls/ceilings,flooring?

3) Quality of doors and windows? How airtight are they?

4) Quality of sound dampening walls/ceilings/floor? Are they paper thin or semi soundproof?

5) Quality of parking?

6) Quality of the neighborhoods around the area? Gang infested? Records of know break-ins weekly/monthly?

7) Quality vibe? Chill mode 24/7 or on your toes night and day?

8) Safety, safety, safety... safety is such a relevant topic but is it safe to take your kid on a stroll or to the park?

9) General layout of area? Quality of landscaping and design/curb appeal? General area clean?

And here are the apartments I need help rating:

1) Apartments from apartmenthomes@comcast.net on 5132 SW Slavin Rd

2) Hyde Park Terrace Apartments on 3150 SW Bertha Blvd

3) Shadow Hills Apartments on 2040 SW Vermont St

4) Apartments on 6404 SW 30th Ave

5) Affinity Property Apartments on 3310 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy

6) Alpine Property Apartments on 2538 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy

7) Apartments on 6312 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy

*I'm hoping this will give me a better feel of the area before we move. Nothing is set in stone as far as housing goes. My wife and I chose to live as close to OSHU as possible hence she will be working there as a RN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Well, I've lived in Hillsdale for over 20 years but have no idea about these places. I can tell you that it is a very safe area with no gangs. Very family oriented with a nice little "village" and a terrific farmer's market. I personally would not live in any of the apartments with a Beaverton Hillsdale address solely because of the traffic noise and dirt. I would be happy to go check a place out for you when you narrow it down.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:05 AM

One place I did live in before I bought my house was the apartments on Karla Court. I can't find a website for them or the property management company, but here is a link to an apartment they currently have on Craig's List. When I lived there, they were very nice, each unit had it's own one car garage, washer/dryer in unit, fireplace etc.

Townhouse - 10 mins from OHSU (http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/apa/2148289772.html - broken link)

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
I live a little down the road from Hillsdale, and ride through it ever morning to get to OHSU. You'll pay a bit more of a premium to live in Hillsdale versus further down BHH. Our exact apartment would be at least $200 more expensive per month to live two miles closer to OHSU in Hillsdale.

The only thing I can really comment on, is that the layout of the neighborhoods and roads in the SW is rather disappointing. There are almost no sidewalks anywhere. Most roads do not have shoulders. I have found it one of the most frustrating places to be a runner. There are a few good parks in the area, but not a lot of decent running/walking routes (esp. at night).

The apartments here have also been pretty thin walled/windowed. It doesn't get super cold, so apparently not a lot of insulation was used. We have been very surprised how our top floor apartment seems to leak heat like a sieve. I imagine mold has to be prevalent almost everywhere, it's so humid here.

I have a friend in Shadow Hills, he likes it, it's a little off the main roads but still really close to the Hillsdale strip. They have covered car parking.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Well, I've lived in Hillsdale for over 20 years but have no idea about these places. I can tell you that it is a very safe area with no gangs. Very family oriented with a nice little "village" and a terrific farmer's market. I personally would not live in any of the apartments with a Beaverton Hillsdale address solely because of the traffic noise and dirt. I would be happy to go check a place out for you when you narrow it down.
That's kind of you. Actually I think I've narrowed it down with these for now:

1) 5132 SW Slavin Rd.
503 223 9290

2) Hyde Park Terrace
3150 SW Bertha Blvd
503 246 1931

3) Shadow Hills
2040 SW Vermont St
866 995 6416

4) 6404 SW 30th Ave
503 244 2616

Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

First thought, having driven by 3 out of the 4 many times, is that the Karla Court recommendation I made earlier is a good one. However, I don't know your budget or other needs/requirements. The thing about Karla Court is that they are townhouses so no apartment above or below you and doors that open to the outside. Let me know what you're looking for and a budget and I can check these out for you in the coming days.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:40 PM

37 posts, read 66,699 times
wow personal service on this site ;0)

Old 01-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
First thought, having driven by 3 out of the 4 many times, is that the Karla Court recommendation I made earlier is a good one. However, I don't know your budget or other needs/requirements. The thing about Karla Court is that they are townhouses so no apartment above or below you and doors that open to the outside. Let me know what you're looking for and a budget and I can check these out for you in the coming days.
Townhouses are something we don't mind moving into as well but we wouldn't want to spend more than $900.00 on rent a month. We would prefer moving into a two bedroom under $900.00 with heat or electric included. Note that we will be moving from Alaska...whaaa... yeap Alaska. Moving out of state and into the lower 48's will cost us just a little over $3000.oo so we'd like to stay on top of our spending as much as possible for the first two years or so on housing costs.

$3000.oo will move a family of three i.e. my wife, our one year old son, myself, my pickup, and our belongings. Both my wife and myself are in our 20's. She's 25 and I'm 28 and we're both professionals. My younger brother will be moving down with us too but that won't be until he finishes his college courses in spring of 2012.

If you could give me a list of townhouse rentals with phone numbers that would be really kind of you!

*I'd like to have a nice list of housing prospects with contacts one month before we leave the state.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 PM

The Craigs list link I posted for you has the contact info for the townhouse. Sounds like at $875 plus heat it might be over your budget. And it sounds like you might be needing a 3 bedroom when your brother gets here. I don't know anything about other townhouses that might be in the area. It's unlikely you will find apartments where the heat or electric is included. That hasn't been my experience here. The computer is your best friend in this endeavor. If you Google each of the apartments by name you can find info and reviews even when the complex itself doesn't have a website. The one at 6404 SW 30th is called Hilldale (not Hillsdale) Gardens. Do you know the name of the one on Slavin?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Do you know the name of the one on Slavin?
Just the address. I found them on Craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland