Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Yes I can't pass a credit check. Had a health collapse 10+ years ago with total and extended loss of income (in hospital and unable to work). All open accounts closed and charged off with two money judgments. No new credit activity in 12 years but old debts get sold and re-sold and re-aged keeping them on my credit report. No way to resolve old debt on $1000 income per month. Guess I'm just screwed and continuing to pay the exorbitant rent on time won't improve my situation

I can look up places all day long but if I can't pass a credit check I'm not going to get in, and if I'm paying 70 percent of income for housing, my credit isn't going to get any better.
Easy solution...get a job that pays more than $1000/month.

What exactly do you think you should be able to afford by working part time for minimum wage? That's playing around money for teenagers and beer money for college students, not what you're supposed to live on.

Less time whining on the internet about every real or perceived slight or inconvenience (like the infamous too lazy and irresponsible to activate your new card incident) and more time actually working.

But go ahead, whine to try to turn Portland into a third world ghetto. You'll lose because people actually don't want their neighborhoods to morph into slums just so people who can't be bothered to advance beyond the income of a high school student can live in a good location.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 07-03-2014 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Easy solution...get a job that pays more than $1000/month.

What exactly do you think you should be able to afford by working part time for minimum wage? That's playing around money for teenagers and beer money for college students, not what you're supposed to live on.

Less time whining on the internet about every real or perceived slight or inconvenience (like the infamous too lazy and irresponsible to activate your new card incident) and more time actually working.

But go ahead, whine to try to turn Portland into a third world ghetto. You'll lose because people actually don't want their neighborhoods to morph into slums just so people who can't be bothered to advance beyond the income of a high school student can live in a good location.

??? I can look for a job all day and won't find a better job than I have now; I have no marketable skills. Where do you get the slums idea. Fill a neighborhood with clones of me and the crime rate plunges and the IQ level rises. I have a lot of daytime medical appointments which does not exactly endear me to many employers which is why I'm trying to create my own job where I can work on my own schedule.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:30 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
??? I can look for a job all day and won't find a better job than I have now; I have no marketable skills. Where do you get the slums idea. Fill a neighborhood with clones of me and the crime rate plunges and the IQ level rises. I have a lot of daytime medical appointments which does not exactly endear me to many employers which is why I'm trying to create my own job where I can work on my own schedule.
Then it sounds like your best bet is to try to get into Section 8 housing.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

Good luck with that.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
??? Yes I can't pass a credit check. Had a health collapse 10+ years ago with total and extended loss of income (in hospital and unable to work). All open accounts closed and charged off with two money judgments. No new credit activity in 12 years but old debts get sold and re-sold and re-aged keeping them on my credit report. No way to resolve old debt on $1000 income per month. Guess I'm just screwed and continuing to pay the exorbitant rent on time won't improve my situation

I can look up places all day long but if I can't pass a credit check I'm not going to get in, and if I'm paying 70 percent of income for housing, my credit isn't going to get any better.
If they're older than 7 years you can get them removed. There are free legal services that will help you. Or file bankruptcy and start over. Most places will rent to you as soon as your bankruptcy closes.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:

There are also "rent well" programs that will work with people who have poor credit. Look at the Housing Connections website. There's always a way if you're determined.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Waitlists are open again starting July 9th. Get on it.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
If they're older than 7 years you can get them removed. There are free legal services that will help you. Or file bankruptcy and start over. Most places will rent to you as soon as your bankruptcy closes.

Um, they're 12 years old, but getting them removed would put the judgment holders on my back and since I am collectable, that would put my ability to pay current expenses (like rent) at risk, which I am unwilling to do.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Waitlists are open again starting July 9th. Get on it.

Thanks for the tip, I just put in my phone which will remind me that day.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Um, they're 12 years old, but getting them removed would put the judgment holders on my back and since I am collectable, that would put my ability to pay current expenses (like rent) at risk, which I am unwilling to do.
So file bankruptcy and move on. If there's no way you can pay that's the point of bankruptcy. It's actually really easy to do yourself and if you're low income you don't have to pay the filing fees. Again, if there's a will there's a way. Legal clinics will also help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland