Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Wow, Sueisme! You guys have done a TON since you came here. Not long ago. Honestly, I think I spent too much time in the house when we moved here 13 months ago. That is the point many experienced "portlanders" make on this forum all of the time. You must get out in the grey and rain. Seriously, it makes a HUGE difference in your life and your general outlook on the PDX area. Now that I get out everyday, I view Portland so much more positively. People are not as gregarious as other regions of the country but I find people that you see regularly, DO open up are quite genuine. This is one of the main reasons why I think PDX is so family friendly. The people I have met this last year and have become friendly with are committed to community and are more interested in real friendships. Anyways, I am digressing but I hope I am convincing wonderful families looking to enrich their lives by making a positive move to Portland to... just DO IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:40 PM

132 posts, read 341,562 times
And I'm sure, Yankeemama, that we've only done a very few of the many things that exist here! (Thx, OP -- great idea for a post.)

Things we haven't done yet, but want to: (If anyone has done any of these, I'd love to hear how they were w/kid(s).)
* End of Lewis and Clark trail museum, in OR City.
* OR Historical Society
* OR State Fair
* Wave pool at Mt. Scott and the big one in Clackamas
* Kid-friendly concerts
* Day trips and short hikes w/kids to coast/mountain/gorge. (Anyone know good 2-3 mile hikes where kids can see animals, land or sea?)
* Aquarium in Astoria (I think it's there, right?).

Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
We have seen the Imagination Movers and Yo Gabba Gabba Live at the Rose Center and both were well attended. We also went to see a play at the NW Children's Theater( I think that is the name) which was very good and we plan on going to many more performances this year. Many of the outdoor events in the Summer have been very family friendly especially at Jamison Square Park in the Pearl.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM

666 posts, read 1,844,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
Things we haven't done yet, but want to: (If anyone has done any of these, I'd love to hear how they were w/kid(s).)
* End of Lewis and Clark trail museum, in OR City.
I would call them first to get a better understanding of what they have right now. They closed down operations in 2009 due to the faltering economy. When I went there last year, only the visitors center was open. They just had some brochures, books, and a few historic pieces. It was nothing worth a specific drive to Oregon City.

Like I mentioned, call first to see whats going on. Maybe the received funding and were able to reopen. The website is unclear and only mentions the visitors center.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
We have seen the Imagination Movers and Yo Gabba Gabba Live at the Rose Center and both were well attended. .
This is such a small venue, that any "bad" seats are really great. Any shows of interest that come through town provide a great experience given how close you are to the stage/performers.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM

121 posts, read 219,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
I would call them first to get a better understanding of what they have right now. They closed down operations in 2009 due to the faltering economy. When I went there last year, only the visitors center was open. They just had some brochures, books, and a few historic pieces. It was nothing worth a specific drive to Oregon City.

Like I mentioned, call first to see whats going on. Maybe the received funding and were able to reopen. The website is unclear and only mentions the visitors center.
That is too bad I was excited when the poster mentioned The Lewis and Clark Trail End attraction. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStandTheHeat View Post
That is too bad I was excited when the poster mentioned The Lewis and Clark Trail End attraction. Thanks for the heads-up.
Don't feel too bad. I went many years ago when it was at full speed and it was mind-numbingly boring. The re-enactments were so lame and amateurish. You really aren't missing much. Besides, if you took your kids, you'd never live it down how tedious it was. I'm 60 years old and went with my parents who wanted to see it and I still tease my mom about it.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM

121 posts, read 219,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Don't feel too bad. I went many years ago when it was at full speed and it was mind-numbingly boring. The re-enactments were so lame and amateurish. You really aren't missing much. Besides, if you took your kids, you'd never live it down how tedious it was. I'm 60 years old and went with my parents who wanted to see it and I still tease my mom about it.
LOL Good to know!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:37 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Check out individual neighborhoods for a stroll. Your kids would probably love the Yogurt place "Swirl" on around 35th and Hawthorne where you can make your own sundaes. And there is also the "Do Jump" Theater that has matinees for kids on 37th and Hawthorne.

There are lots of restaurants, book stores and little variety shops. And you can't beat it for people watching. It's not too long a stroll from one end of the commercial area to the other. And you can be entertained by just looking at people and stuff if you don't want to spend any money.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 PM

196 posts, read 428,722 times
Check out Slappy Cakes | Portland OR on Belmont. Fun place for breakfast, especially with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland