Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
I had a cousin who died of AIDS, Yankeemama. What a horrible death to witness. I really admire the way the gay community mobilized and within just a few years made the survival rate of HIV+ folks grow tremendously. Many are living healthy lives 20 years after becoming infected.
If it hadn't been for the gay Boomers the OP wouldn't be able to ask about gay neighborhoods since it was the Boomers who established the Castro, Capitol Hill, West Hollywood, etc... as gay-friendly neighborhoods.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Puerco,
I am sorry about your cousin. People like your cousin should be heros to the youngin' gay folk and all youth, in general. The 70's and 80's saw struggles, changes, courage and hope that should never be forgotten.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmatt View Post
Hi,
So, here's my question: are there any areas where you all would recommend that I relocate to which are especially gay-friendly? Without getting too detailed, I would ideally like a neighborhood close to a MAX line, and with amenities like grocery stores, specialty shops, etc. close by. Price range aside, do you all have any ideas? Thanks!!!
Humboldt is very gay friendly, even for typical Portland. I have a few friends in the area who are gay, and obviously so. There are rainbow flags flying on houses and I see same sex couples holding hands, no prob. Humboldt is also one of the most racially diverse neighborhoods in Portland right now(in a town that is fairly segregated for the West Coast). It was once predominantly African American, but it seems a mix of everything now. I'm multi ethnic myself. I know Asians, islanders, latinos, africans, native americans, all kinds here. We all get along.

Anyway, I suggest coming out to PDX and spending a few days checking out different neighborhoods before committing to moving here.

Would also like to add that there are a lot of older gay people in this town. That whole "old people aren't progressive and don't like gays" thing does not really apply to Portland proper at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SmithW View Post
Outside of some of the trendy and hip areas in inner NE and SE Portland, you certainly would not want to go into a majority of bars here and announce out loud you are gay or do anything to make it blatantly obvious you are gay. Holding hands and kisses in many bars in PDX (outside the trendy areas) may get you a good beating. Trust me, I have been to bars all over the PDX and I have yet to see two men do anything even remotely sexual in any of them.
Do not let this guy scare you. He must go to bars in Vancouver, Beaverton, and Gresham or something. The 'moral' conservatives in this town are the ones who have to hide their hate!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 AM

129 posts, read 583,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwastrel
Do not let this guy scare you. He must go to bars in Vancouver, Beaverton, and Gresham or something. The 'moral' conservatives in this town are the ones who have to hide their hate!
Don't let pdxwastrel get you and partner a good beating.. Seriously, this guy doesn't know Portland as well as me. Portland is very spread out and demographics change. If you are openly gay in many places in outer NE or SE Portland, you do risk trouble. Portland is not as liberal , hippy skippy as people make it out to be. In reality, the people here are very reserved and conservative. The city feels almost like Swedish city mixed with the Wild West with a touch of Southern California. I hardly even see men and women kiss and get romantic, much less gay people. I've lived in LA and been to SF many times and PDX isn't even close to them. Despite all the funky clothing , piercings, tattoos, the people here are really reserved. And, the hot-blooded good ol boy types do not hide themselves, by any means. I saw Christians preaching at Pioneer Square openly against some things that you may find offensive. Portland seems more like a behind closed door type of town. It's funny, but thats the culture. Lesbians, do have a much easier time, but that goes for anywhere. Women in the USA are more intimate/touchy with one another by nature, so many cannot identify a lesbian-female couple from a straight-female couple.

As if East Portland and Gresham are any different.. LOL

I stand by what I said.. If you try it outside the liberal hip areas, you put yourself at risk. Regardless of my views about homosexuality, I don't like to see a person get hurt. If I saw a bunch of guys beating on a gay person, I would come to the gay person's rescue. So, don't make me risk my behind and have to attempt to rescue you.. LOL.. I will keep my personal and moral views about homosexuality out of this. Don't even bother asking me.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
While I rarely see eye-to-eye with Mr.SmithW he isn't off base in the first two paragraphs. In public it is a reserved culture sexually. Even young hetrosexual couples necking in public is very rare.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
While I rarely see eye-to-eye with Mr.SmithW he isn't off base in the first two paragraphs. In public it is a reserved culture sexually. Even young hetrosexual couples necking in public is very rare
LOL! Nell made her post before I could make mine with the same comments. I also have to agree with the description Mr. SmithW makes in his first two paragraphs.

BTW, I have seen these evangelical types in Pioneer Square spouting off their condemnation of gays and others. In that sense Portland is liberal because everyone, even the bigots, can and do have their say even in public.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:05 AM

5 posts, read 9,016 times
So is PORTLAND GAY FRIENDLY OR NOT??? I am now completely confused as we have drifted off topic.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 AM

5 posts, read 9,016 times
MRSMITHW seems to think "openly gay" means "public anal sex". That's not what the original question was pertaining to. Gay people particularly gay men, just want to know if we can live in Portland in peace and be left alone, not have sex on the streets of Portland. Could someone less extreme please answer this for us once and for all without drifting off topic? Thanks.

Last edited by Jhonathan; 03-04-2012 at 04:44 AM..

Old 03-04-2012, 06:12 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonathan View Post
MRSMITHW seems to think "openly gay" means "public anal sex". That's not what the original question was pertaining to. Gay people particularly gay men, just want to know if we can live in Portland in peace and be left alone, not have sex on the streets of Portland. Could someone less extreme please answer this for us once and for all without drifting off topic? Thanks.
The answer is yes. But why are you reviving these old threads?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhonathan View Post
So is PORTLAND GAY FRIENDLY OR NOT??? I am now completely confused as we have drifted off topic.
I cannot speak for an entire city. No one can. You will find sympathetic people and bigots everywhere. That is probably why you are getting some conflicting answers here. I believe the responses are mostly based on observation and not personal experience.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to go right to the source and contact some Gay Organizations for their views on this. There are many in Portland. First hand knowledge is always the most accurate. There is a list of numerous organizations from Gay Dads to Gay meetups and many more on Google. Just put "Gay groups Portland OR" and you will find them. People

There are Gay bars, cultural activities and from what I see in the Willamette Week, our local newspaper, Gay social groups. I have had Gay friends and neighbors and seldom speak about experiencing discrimination or any other problems. I attended the wedding of a Gay friend. He was a little bit afraid that there would be problems but it came off beautifully. No one outside paid any attention but it's understandable that he was on his guard.

I don't know if this gives any more clarity on the subject, but the issue is complicated and I do not believe there really is an absolute yes or no answer to your question.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: better clarity I hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland