Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,176,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
And, as far as earthquakes...... there is a Teutonic plate subduction zone a ways off the Oregon / Washington coast that will cause a major disruption in life.
Does this mean that my commemorative plate can cause earthquakes:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,870,183 times
If you like more laid back and he likes fast paced urban, live in the burbs and let him commute to the city. I'm thinking Danville/San Ramon/Walnut Creek.

San Francisco hasn't been flighty for years, if it ever was. That's a myth that out of staters put on California all the time. If someone's working in a legitimate business, especially in the Financial District, things are now razor edge and cut throat because of the economic climate. I was there when it could have been considered "flighty", laid back and easy to get a job. The 70s and early 80's. That's not the case anymore, so there are no worries in that regard. However, one of my children doesn't like the city proper any more - too many lowlives on BART, and walking from BART and taxis to night life, etc. The city has much more of a hard edge now - hardly flighty.

If your husband doesn't mind commuting then that is the best compromise you can make - in any metro region - whether it be the Bay Area, Portland or Seattle. In my opinion, San Francisco has the best weather anywhere. The air is always moving, plenty of blue shies, sunshine, clouds, fog, cool and cold. Very temperate, but enough cold and clouds to give variety. The east bay burbs are very hot in summer though, but a quick trip west toward the coast takes care of that.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
San Francisco, like the Pacific NW, has micro-climates. The weather in Walnut Creek is great, but is isn't San Francisco.

Just south of San Francisco is the Silicon Valley which has an intellectual climate of its own. IQs are high, hours are long, RE expensive... but is still isn't San Francisco.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 PM

43 posts, read 85,322 times
In my experience (grew up in NJ, lived in the pacific NW for almost 20 years) most folks in Oregon or SF would not much care if you called them flighty - some might even be honored to be so labeled. The weather in Oregon and along the Calif. coast is too dreary for many. If you want nice weather and outdoor access and big city opportunities, maybe the east bay (east of SF - around Berkley/Oakland) would suit you.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM

19 posts, read 38,804 times
i grew up in the SF bay area, lived in the city for 6 years before moving to NJ (philly area) and are now planning a move back west. we are going back and forth between portland and seattle and have spent some time in both trying to make a decision. here are some of our findings (keep in my, these are just my opinions, ymmv):

firstly, we decided against moving back to california because the state seems to be in trouble (political and financial). my family is in the process of moving to southern oregon for the same reason. SF is beautiful but to live IN the city you work to live ($$$), the suburbs don't appeal to us so we'd either like to be in the city or in a rural area. in the bay area you need to go pretty far out to get to rural and it's so dry that you need to be ok with brown scenery (which i'm not).

that being said, SF is wonderful and the weather is perfect for me. yes, earthquakes happen but natural disasters happen just about anywhere.

ok, portland we visited in july of last year. so, of course, it was hot and sunny and dry, cool at night - i loved it. i was impressed with how clean the downtown area was and the food was AMAZING. we commented on the fact that there wasn't much in the way of shopping but we aren't big shoppers so that didn't bother us. the outer lying areas seemed a little suburban and we didn't have enough time to really explore so i'm hoping to get out there one more time before we really commit. it had a small city feel which i really liked (i'm so tired of philly) and the people seemed really friendly. there were lovely neighborhoods within the city limits that felt homey and safe. it was so green! even in july. we drove up the coast to get there and i must say that the oregon coast is the most beautiful scenery i've ever seen.

seattle, we spent a full week there driving all over the area as we knew we probably wouldn't get back there until a decision was made. we were there in march and, of course, it rained every day. it didn't really bother us but i've never been one to not like grey weather. i hate the summers and the winters of the north east so i'm hoping that the weather of the PNW will be an improvement for me seattle was much more metropolitan. GORGEOUS. i loved the water everywhere. you've got water on one side and mountains on the other. we actually commented on how much it reminded us of SF, it's VERY hilly. we landed on a few areas that we would focus on if a home search takes place but we wouldn't live in the city there. the neighborhoods in the city were typical city neighborhoods, very small lots and cute homes, quite expensive (less than sf, more than portland). we didn't have one good meal there but i know that's just because we didn't know where to go. i'm sure there's plenty of good food to be had. great shopping and, in fact, lots of shopping even outside of the city center. you get a strong feeling of a decent economy.

really, i love all 3 cities but they are all quite different.

in general, my heart is in portland. it just sang to me. i like the architecture better, the cost of living is better, and i'd be closer to my family. i have possible transfers with my current company pending in both cities but i'm definitely trying harder for the portland job!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Hi micki8-
I too, grew up in S.F.And lived in East coast cities and now live in Portland. It is easy to get around here, more so than Seattle and the neighborhoods are more defined here, like in S.F. Seattle is awesome though and you may want t check out the suburbs on the east side. Like living in the East bay in the Bay area, that close, just over a bridge. Check out Seattle in the Summer and you will be blown away when it's not raining. They don't call it the Emerald City for nothing. Portland is wonderful, though I wouldn't recommend it to you just because I love it. It's not for everyone and I do think you have to really enjoy the simplicities in life to fall head over heels here esp. since the weather does get intense by Spring. I loved the winter and summers in the East so it's not as extreme in the Winter here as North East but don't let anyone tell you Winter here is as mild as Bay Area. We are in high 30's to mid 40's for over four months. I think it's perfect for Dec.- March but I don't know if that's what you are into. It is also dark here for those months so do your research. Good luck to you.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 38,804 times
thanks Yankeemama! the bay area was ideal for me in many ways when i was younger, but now in my mid forties i think i like the idea of a smaller city. philadelphia is exhausting and angry - i'm looking forward to getting away. my 3rd interview for the seattle job is tuesday and 2nd interview for portland job is thursday..... now if we could just get a buyer for this darn house in new jersey :/

Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Good luck with the interview! I have met a few people from Philadelphia area who both got good jobs last year and are doing pretty well. They are enjoying the change to the PNW. Good luck, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickie8 View Post
thanks Yankeemama! the bay area was ideal for me in many ways when i was younger, but now in my mid forties i think i like the idea of a smaller city. philadelphia is exhausting and angry - i'm looking forward to getting away. my 3rd interview for the seattle job is tuesday and 2nd interview for portland job is thursday..... now if we could just get a buyer for this darn house in new jersey :/

Old 05-28-2011, 08:37 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I think you will sell the house in NJ as long as you do a good job preparing and pricing. Yes there are nuances depending on town/neighborhood but you are in a better market than most.

If offered both jobs you need to pick the position that is the best fit career wise. I lived in Seattle metro for 15 years so I will be the last person to tell you that it is the pits.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM

63 posts, read 80,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLarma View Post
SF, Portland OR Seattle Living?

SF, Portland OR Seattle Living?
You've just rattled off my three favorite cities, so my answer is... Yes. Visit them all and do whatever you want to. Don't worry, be happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland