Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 PM

137 posts, read 327,773 times

Advertisements

My contractor husband has always wanted to go to seminary. Things aren't that great with construction here in California and we have family in the Portland area. He's considering Multnomah seminary because they have a degree completion program that we think he qualifies for. Aside from the fact that the construction industry is pretty much at a standstill in Oregon, any opinions on how you think a northern California family will adjust to Portland? And do you have any experience with Multnomah University?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,598 times
I'm a distance student at MU, and am planning on moving to PDX next year. Not sure about the job situation, but the school is top notch.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:06 PM

161 posts, read 410,821 times
I don't quite understand all of the programs that Multomah University (however I have heard it is prestigious) offers, however I do not think a degree in theology would be worthwhile now. Although he may be interested in the subject, if he were to go back to school, get a degree that would make him more desirable in the workplace, especially in this economy. It's so hard to find a well paying job without at least a bachelors degree in the related field in this city (really any big city). There is just so much competition. A theology/philosophy/biblical studies degree would be good if he was interested in teaching or working at a church, however those positions mostly require a PhD level of education (if that is what he is interested in attaining, that would be a good career). Job are moving REALLY slow up here, from my jobhunting experience mostly the healthcare industry is hiring. Construction seems, in particular, to be slow - LOTS of new houses built between 03-05 everywhere that just arn't getting filled.

Portland is pretty similar to Northern California weather wise. People wise, it depends on where you are from! There is definitely a laid back, hippy feel. No one will give you a hard time for your beliefs, everyone is pretty open minded and as long as you have a little bit of an open mind, too, everyone gets along. People up here will say hi, ask if you need help, and when you move in their bring you a welcome pie. Really, really nice, compassionate, and understanding people.

I honestly wouldn't advise relocating unless he had a job in hand up here. It might take a while to find a job and there are a thousand candidates for one position.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:30 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,539,294 times
I've taken a few classes at Multnomah and think well of it. It's fairly conservative and has a solid reputation.

As to work, Portland is very depressed right now, but as you state your husband is a contractor, anyone who's honest, hard working and good with their hands should be able to find work.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM

60 posts, read 68,835 times
Multnomah is unheard of outside portland...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:24 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,424 times
My girlfriend went to Multnomah for a while and she dropped out partially because they were so darn conservative. Some of her classmates didn't believe in dancing. Crazy. Now that's not to say anybody's beliefs are/were being disrespected...

My impression is that it's a decent school, though not well heard of. Though a job that you qualify for after going through seminary probably won't be very worthwhile (financially... spiritually? who knows...) unless you end up in televangelization.

Northern California people tend to fit in pretty well in Oregon. Well, Californians in general.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
My girlfriend went to Multnomah for a while and she dropped out partially because they were so darn conservative. Some of her classmates didn't believe in dancing. Crazy. Now that's not to say anybody's beliefs are/were being disrespected...

My impression is that it's a decent school, though not well heard of. Though a job that you qualify for after going through seminary probably won't be very worthwhile (financially... spiritually? who knows...) unless you end up in televangelization.

Northern California people tend to fit in pretty well in Oregon. Well, Californians in general.

It's interesting how much better paid people are in churches these days. My son in law is high school pastor at a local church with a congregation of 600 pr so and he makes $40,000 + full benefits.

Of course, there are also many missionaries and pastors whose goal is to serve God first and not worry about making money.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 AM

60 posts, read 68,835 times
and some are very rich. You can't tell me all of them are doing it for the 'right' reason (ps. some are making much higher than 40,000...)

Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonmoving1 View Post
and some are very rich. You can't tell me all of them are doing it for the 'right' reason (ps. some are making much higher than 40,000...)
It's true. So long as there have been people and so long as there will continue to be people, religion will be taken advantage of for ill-gotten gain or riches by those will other motives aside from serving God. It goes with the territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland