U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

37 posts, read 65,643 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

So I'll spare you the details, but after the end of a five year relationship at the end of 2010, it's time for a new experience.

I'm a 25 year old single guy who has lived on the East coast basically my entire life. Having grown up outside of Portland, ME, living in Burlington VT for four years and then moving back to Portland for the past 4, I've never known much else than the area that surrounds me. I've been doing a lot of thinking and the Pacific Northwest seems to consistently strike a chord with me; Portland, OR, in particular.

So let me hit you with some facts -

1.) I intend to make the move in either July or August of 2011

2.) I'm a freelance writer who works almost exclusively virtually, meaning employment/economy isn't a huge issue for me as it would be for most people. I'll likely look for a job when I end up there if only to meet people and acclimate myself, but off the bat it isn't a problem.

3.) I'm not rich, but I'm not poor either. I'm looking to live somewhere VERY clean and safe and would be willing to work extra hard to afford the rent. That said, I still want access to a car, so an area like The Pearl (although technically kind of what I'm looking for) might not be right for me. I've been thinking very much about the Northwest District.

4.) I'm a musician, and a live music scene is very important to me. I play and listen to a variety of styles, from acoustic bluegrass to indie rock.

5.) I'm also somewhat of a "foodie." We have great restaurants here in Portland, and I'm hoping the same will hold true for PDX.

6.) I'm a dog person and am about to adopt, meaning wherever I move has absolutely got to be a dog-friendly area. I've heard very good things about Portland in this regard.

7.) I also like to live an active/outdoors-oriented lifestyle.

8.) As I said, I'm recently single, and really want to end up somewhere that will be a good spot for a relatively young, single guy like myself.

9.) I've lived in what many people wouldn't even call real cities for my whole life. Although I realize Portland isn't NYC, I'd list that as a pro rather than a con, as I don't think it'd be a natural transition to move from Portland to a city of NYC's caliber. That said, my primary reason for wanting to leave Portland, ME is that it's just become too small and humdrum for me.

So bearing all this in mind, what can you guys tell me about this particular move?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

10,646 posts, read 17,999,571 times
Adopt the dog here and your move will be much easier.

There are many neighborhoods that can meet your needs, Hawthorne comes to mind. NW (not the Pearl nor Old Town) is very popular but is more expensive.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:15 PM

I've heard very good things about nob hill; suitable for me?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,118,170 times
Nob Hill, which is a nickname in honor of the famous SF neighborhood, is a stretch of NW 21st, 22nd, and 23rd street in the Northwest Neighborhood. Small portions remind people of Upper West side of Manhattan, but Portland doesn't have anywhere the money and disposable income as any place in NYC.

Car parking is extremely difficult up on (s)Nob Hill. If you find a place with off-street parking expect to pay a lot of money extra per month to use such.

Be aware, there are rumors that the boy-girl (emotionally available for both) ratio in Downtown Portland is not so great from a guy's point of view. I don't really know, as I am retired. In an old thread about date-able young women in PDX, one young man was complaining about 1 super hot 20-something lady with maybe 10 guys hitting on her in a bar.

I think, but I haven't been to Portland, ME, PDX winter weather might be milder. Our ground never freezes. Mostly our air temperature is above freezing. But our winter overcast gray skies and drizzle rain lasts until late June or July. Most other cities in the lower 48 have warm sunny days starting in late April or May. March lasted 3 months weather wise in 2010; summer Sun didn't come out until July 5th.

Have you Googled: Moving to Portland?
A couple of hits with good information about the unique 'vibes' of the City of Portland's major neighborhoods. The tone may be a bit Rah-Rah cheerleader-ish, but hey, what do you expect for Real Estate types who host these sites.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM

62 posts, read 136,183 times
The weather is a LOT milder here than in Portland, ME. (It feels like spring now.) Also, we have almost no bugs, even in spring and summer.

However, we are north of Portland, Maine, so winter days are even shorter. They are probably gloomier, too -- not many clear days in winter here.

From what you've said about yourself, you will enjoy living in PDX. It will be tricky to find the right place, though, as the VERY clean and safe spots are not the liveliest for a guy of 25. Also, by those criteria, the Hawthorne district or the NW may not fit the bill -- although carefully chosen bits of those neighborhoods might work. More clean and safe might be parts of the SW, which is quite hilly -- say Hillsdale. Although it's mostly occupied by families with children, it is clean, it is safe, and it is not too far (by car) from downtown.

The drawback is that the best restaurants, especially at a good price, are on the East Side (meaning E of the Willamette River). You will find that PDX has plenty of good food and good beer.

Another choice might be Irvington (in the NE). It's mostly spacious and costly old homes, but I believe there are rentals as well. You could consider Mt. Tabor (in the SE). Again, it's mostly private homes, but it has some fabulous views, a beautiful park, and it is clean, quiet, and safe.

I second the recommendation to consult the neighborhood summaries at the "Moving to Portland" site.

Our experience when looking for a house to rent was that rentals are handled almost exclusively through Craig's List, not through real estate agents.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,207,225 times
Portland, ME is about 30 degrees colder in the Winter and Spring than Portland, OR. No comparison in that department. Summer in PDX has little humidity and is perfect though Portland, ME has beautiful Summers. I spent many a Summer in Maine but my first Summer in PDX last year blew me away. Amazing! There is a recent thread here about the differences between PDX and New England. Chech it out!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Portland, ME has beautiful Summers.
Yes -- and they last about three weeks!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 PM

I forgot to say -- you (EJ) might also look in the area around Reed College. It's clean and safe and also reasonably close to the music, etc., scene of the east side. I'd live there myself.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM

My main concern with the area I live in is quick access to downtown/pearl without having to drive, yet I still want to have a space for my car so I can get out and enjoy all that the surrounding areas have to offer. Livingwise, I'd like to spend no more than $1000 including utilities.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,119,135 times
A place either will have parking or it won't. it's on a case by case basis and that's for you to figure out. if you are looking at rentals i'm sure you can call them and ask about parking.

nob hill is within walking distance to downtown and the pearl, though it is kind of a long walk and a some of the area in between is bland industrial. the free streetcar runs through nob hill and into pearl and then downtown, and it is reliable, frequent, and all around pleasant.

all your other criteria you will be able to find it Portland. I've been to portland, me, and I will let you know Portland OR is several leagues above the one in Maine in terms of things offered, size, etc. milder climate too. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: