Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 AM

98 posts, read 478,547 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'd appreciate some local input.

I'm planning to visit the west coast this summer; my intention is to spend one month in each of three cities to get a real feel for each place. I've decided on Portland as one of the destinations, probably for the month of July, and I'd really appreciate some local input on a few questions:

1. Location/housing: I'd like to be in a "central" or "downtown-y" area vs. suburbs. Restaurants and shopping within walking distance. I will be working remotely, so will need some privacy and quiet (especially from 5:00 AM to 3:00 PM) as well as reliable high-speed internet. Ideally, I'm looking to sublet something like a studio apartment for a month, although a sharing situation might not be out of the question. I'd like to spend < $1200/month. Any suggestions for neighborhoods?

2. Transportation: I'm still working this out. Preference would be to rely on public transportation/walking/bicycle as much as possible. What's the public transit system like? Anyone have any experience with Zipcar in Portland? Another option would be to buy an old (read: fully depreciated) car when I get out west and sell at the end of the summer, but I don't really want to deal with registration/taxes and parking hassles if I can avoid them.

3. Meeting people: In order to get the "real" flavor of each city, I'd really love to meet at least one or two locals who are interested in expanding their circle of friends and who would like to share some fun activities. I'm absolutely not looking to "mooch" from anyone, and am quite willing to pay my own way (as well as spring for a couple meals, tickets, whatever in exchange for tour guide services ) Are there areas that this would be easier in than others? Is Portland a friendly city?

5. When you have out of town visitors, what non-touristy activities/locations do you like to share?

Here's a little about me for background, in case it makes a difference: I'm a college-educated single man in my late-30s. I work from home, and I've decided to take advantage of this fact to do some exploring. I'm very open-minded and love new things and new experiences. Although I'm not opposed to nightclubs and parties on occasion, I tend to gravitate more toward local pubs and small gatherings. I like live music of all sorts. I love the beach and ocean. Prefer books to TV. While I don't want to miss the "must do" tourist spots, I'm more interested in the everyday culture of the city.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,483,278 times
Just to reply to a few points only----

Portland's mass transit is very good; not ultimate, not super excellent, and not even epic, just very, very good. Way better than most communities in lower 48; Chicago, DC, NYC excepted.
TriMet web site: TriMet: Public Transportation for the Portland, Oregon, Metro Area

Just to be clear, MAX is a light rail train that is as long as 5 or 6 buses and carries as many people, the street car is as long as an 'extra long' bus and carries about as many people. The VA hospital and OHSU hospital sit on top of a 700 ft ridge with steep slopes. The Tram goes from the bottom near the river bank up to the top of "Pill Hill" and the two hospital complexes; the Tram uses enclosed gondolas and high wire to get people up the hill.

Zip car works great if you only need a car a few hours per week (or every other week.)

The easiest way I know to meet normal people in Portland is to join Meet Up dot Com where you are now, and then switch over to the Portland OR area, and if you know when you will be in town join a group meeting and go to the event. Take a hike, a walking tour, pub crawl, restaurant nite out, classical concert, photography of a park, comedy club visit, or even west coast swing dancing, what ever your choice of what you like to do. (aside: Seattle's meet up dot com is reported to be fairly active also.)

You should be aware that July, August and september weather is very different from the rest of the year. Most of Portland's weather is overcast gray and misty rain. Sun comes out about July 4th, and it stays dry and clear blazing sun afternoons until October. 30 degree temperature swing from mid afternoon to early morning.

You will love the weather in July, but it just ain't the same in December and January as July's weather. Not a true sample.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 PM

120 posts, read 279,226 times
Default areas to look in

I would say your best bet would be to look in Northwest Portland, in the areas around NW 21st and NW 23rd ave. It's mostly older apartment buildings and houses, with lots of bars, shops, restaurants etc. and is very walkable. I would think it would be reasonably easy to find a place to sublet or rent on a short term basis. Parking is challenging so it would be good to ditch the car if you are going to live there. On a day to day basis, you would not need a car - you could walk most places you needed to go, and take the bus or streetcar to get to other parts of the city.

You might also consider looking downtown.

If you want an area that is urban and walkable but with a little more room to breath, check out either Irvington (in Northeast Portland, along Broadway), Sullivan's Gulch (just south of Irvington) or Southeast (Hawthorne, Belmont & Division are some key streets - areas on and off of those streets in the 20s, 30s and 40s (avenues) are good.

Good luck with your adventure!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Lots of luck finding a nice short term rental on his budget. The Hostel in NW Portland charges $62/night for a private room.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Agree about NW PDX. I like that area as well, but I don't think it is all that car friendly. I also really don't think much of ZipCar. I get cars from Enterprise for half of ZipCar rates and have been doing so since I arrived here three (well... 2.55 years) ago. Public transportation and my bicycles serve as the basis of my transportation needs, however. Yah, Meet-up and/or Craigslist are invaluable when you are pressed for time but don't overlook serendipity. You will meet acquaintances but friends "happen".

H

Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I see that the Mark Spencer has some kind of corporate housing at an adjacent apartment. I see the apartments there rent pretty cheap, but not sure what the "corporate housing" rate is. It's a great downtown location.

Things to do ... hang out in the city. Go to a First Thursday event in the Pearl, eat at the food carts; shop at a farmer's market; shop at Powells or attend a book reading there, go to whatever event is being held in Waterfront Park (there is almost always something going on), drink at the local micro-brews, attend a concert at Pioneer Courthouse Square the Zoo, many different parks; watch a movie in Pioneer Courthouse Square or a park; walk/run/pedal in one of the many races; go geocaching; hike Forest Park; picnic in Washington Park or Mt. Tabor Park or . . .

Check the Friday A&E in the Oregonian for upcoming events, and the Willamette Week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: