Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'm 23 years old and moving to Portland for work in May. I am currently living in Southern California but I grew up in NJ and I have never been to Portland, so I only have internet research to go by at this point. I am looking at the Pearl district, mostly because it has been the most prominently featured neighborhood in my google research. I am looking to find a neighborhood with a concentration of people my age, but not a college crowd. Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions as far as what neighborhoods have the most young professionals in their 20's? I can pay as much as 1500 a month to be in the right area, but if I can find a vibrant neighborhood with a young crowd and some good bars/restaurants where I rents for a nice one bedroom are closer to 1000 that would be great! Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The Pearl, housing around NW 23rd would fit your social life to a T. Parking will be expensive however.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:48 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
I don't necessarily think of the Pearl when I think of a young crowd. Maybe professional 30 somethings, but not 20's.

I would look to the inner SE. There is a younger scene there, with a more diverse group of people your age. In this town, I don't think you will find that many "profesional" 23 year olds. This would also keep you closer to $1k a month, which would be pretty hard to find in the Pearl.

Do you know where you will be working, that could have some good influence on where you live.

The only real "college scene" type area would be around PSU, to my experience. Most other places in the city will have younger people, but not necessarily college-esque.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 AM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The Pearl, housing around NW 23rd would fit your social life to a T. Parking will be expensive however.
I see this mentioned constantly whenever someone mentions moving and The Pearl comes up. Seriously, do that many people living in The Pearl actually own cars? I can't imagine why they'd want to, or rather, if cars were important to them why live in The Pearl? The whole place was designed intentionally for a density of less than one car per person as far as I can tell.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Southeast? What are you trying to kill this guy? Nobody goes to Southeast Portland unless they're poor. That's like the crappiest area. Avoid Northeast and Southeast Portland at all costs, stick to the same as you would in any city -- knowing the East Side is always lousy, doesn't matter what city you pick, it's always true, and West is always best.

In the case of Portland you're going to have the most fun in the Pearl District and the 21st / 23rd area. Everyone always says 23rd, but that strikes me as funny because there's literally nothing useful on 23rd at all, it's all on 21st. Yet it's always called the 23rd area, so whatever. One of those things about Portland that makes no sense, much like "Couch" -- which has an established pronunciation -- being pronounced inappropriately instead. It's... just weird.

Also, this isn't New York, what are you talking about?! You don't have a car because you live in the Pearl? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First off, it's Portland, where it rains about 363 days per year, of course you want a car because even walking 5 blocks in that lousy weather is out of the question. Second, what, you have NO FRIENDS anywhere else in the city? You don't go anywhere? This is the West Coast, we don't use public transportation on the West Coast, because it's for homeless people. Seriously I don't know anyone who actually uses any form of public transportation and that goes for my friends up and down the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego and everywhere in between. That's for New Yorkers, and I'm glad that works for them and all, but it doesn't matter where you live in Portland, you still need a car just like any civilized place

Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM

-20 JohnathanLB

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM

For what it's worth, Zillow has a new feature, rent extimates: Apartments for Rent & Apartment Rentals in - Zillow

Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
Yes, Jonathon, that really is some unhelpful advice. It's so over the top I can't really tell if you are joking or not?

No one goes to SE Portland unless they're looking for things to do, or many of the best restaurants in the city.

And you do know that many people move to Portland specifically for it's ability to live car-free, right?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Southeast? What are you trying to kill this guy? Nobody goes to Southeast Portland unless they're poor. That's like the crappiest area. Avoid Northeast and Southeast Portland at all costs, stick to the same as you would in any city -- knowing the East Side is always lousy, doesn't matter what city you pick, it's always true, and West is always best.
I live in the SE part of town and I'm not dead yet.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I live in the SE part of town and I'm not dead yet.
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: