Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM

312 posts, read 1,638,985 times

Advertisements

How big is the Asian-American community in the Portland area?
Any Hawaiian (folks from Hawaii, not actually Hawaiian blood) communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 AM

147 posts, read 578,114 times
I'm from Thailand and here is my impression of the Asian communities.
A lot of Vietnamese American spread out all over Portland metro.
A lot of Chinese people live around 82nd, good Chinese restaurants in that area.
Many Korean restaurants and stores in Beaverton near Uwajimaya.
Many Asians and Indians (works for Intel) lives in the Bethany area north of Beaverton.
Tons of Thai restaurants, but no Thai temple nearby and no events or communities that I am aware of.

There is an weekly Asian newspaper.

There seems to be a lot of Asian looking students at PSU.

Hawaiians? not sure, there are some Hawaiian theme celebrations around town. There are some Hawaiian restaurants. I see a couple of Hawaiians at the Ukulele meetings, but if you're asking about non Native Hawaiians, how do I know they are from the Islands?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post
A lot of Chinese people live around 82nd, good Chinese restaurants in that area.
Many Asians and Indians (works for Intel) lives in the Bethany area north of Beaverton.
Tons of Thai restaurants, but no Thai temple nearby and no events or communities that I am aware of.

Hawaiians? not sure, there are some Hawaiian theme celebrations around town. There are some Hawaiian restaurants. I see a couple of Hawaiians at the Ukulele meetings, but if you're asking about non Native Hawaiians, how do I know they are from the Islands?
Interesting! Where is 82nd located and Beaverton? Are we talking N, SE, NW Portland? I understand that PSU is located in the heart of downtown in a good community (but expensive) NW area.

Where do you find a Thai community in Portland? Not just a few stores but an actual community in the "city" and not the suburbs.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:51 AM

147 posts, read 578,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Interesting! Where is 82nd located and Beaverton? Are we talking N, SE, NW Portland? I understand that PSU is located in the heart of downtown in a good community (but expensive) NW area.

Where do you find a Thai community in Portland? Not just a few stores but an actual community in the "city" and not the suburbs.

If you look at a map, 82nd runs along the 205 freeway south of the airport.
Specifically, there are many Chinese restaurants and stores around Powell and 82nd. This is SE of downtown, the so call "new Chinatown" area.

PSU is in the heart of downtown in the SW area. There are many apartments and student housing in that area and it is still cheaper than NW/pearl area.

Beaverton is about 10 miles West of downtown. It is a suburb.

There are no concentrated Thai communities here. I think Thai town in LA is the only place in US that is the kind of community you're talking about.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 AM
nok

1 posts, read 12,844 times
Loads of Thai students at PSU in downtown Portland. I know that a lot of them stay at Love Joy Fountain Apartment (Downtown, near PSU) and get together sometimes for parties.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Except for foreign students, Asians are disbursed throughout the community. What you are seeing in SE Portland is the remnants of the Vietnamese community that settled there when the emigrated. At that time they didn't speak much (if any) English so it was easier for them, and the social service agencies that served them, to live near one another.

Most descendants of the immigrants from Asia didn't go back to their old neighborhood to live but would return to the restaurants founded by their parents and former neighbors.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 11,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo4 View Post

My wife is from Thailand and we are in the process of teaching our two year old grand daughter to speak Thai. She is doing wonderfully. I would like to find a way to encourage a Thai cultural community where children could get together and maintain language and cultural skills. Also it is nice to form friendships with other families that have a Thai background. Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choengpuek View Post
Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?
You might contact PSU's IELP (Intensive English Language Program). They act sort of as a liaison for the international students (many of whom are Asian), planning events, creating ties in the community, etc. They might have some resources, or try the Office of International Affairs.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM

892 posts, read 2,391,833 times
Did I read something somewhere about Uwajimaya possibly anchoring a section of new development in Old Town / Chinatown, right in the city? That would be awesome, like their big urban store in Seattle.

I'll dig around and try to find where I think I remember seeing mention of that, not sure if it was just a proposed kind of thing or what...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: