Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
A surgeon cannot open up the book when a patient presents other than anticipated. They must be prepared for anything.

Same with the weather in the PNW.
In other words, be prepared for rain, and be surprised when it doesn't happen. Makes living in Oregon so much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 21,528 times
Are you wanting to rent or buy? We rented in the south waterfront, which is connected to OHSU via the sky tram. The Portland Streetcar runs from the waterfront all the way up to the pearl, near Legacy. We rented a 1200 sq foot, 1 bedroom condo on the 23rd floor of the John Ross building for a few years for $1400 with gas, water, trash and parking paid for. We found it on craigslist. There are mainly for sale properties down there with owners choosing to rent. There is 2 apartment rental places there. You can also negotiate your rent too, there are a lot of places available in Portland.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 AM

461 posts, read 861,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite1384 View Post
Are you wanting to rent or buy? We rented in the south waterfront, which is connected to OHSU via the sky tram. The Portland Streetcar runs from the waterfront all the way up to the pearl, near Legacy. We rented a 1200 sq foot, 1 bedroom condo on the 23rd floor of the John Ross building for a few years for $1400 with gas, water, trash and parking paid for. We found it on craigslist. There are mainly for sale properties down there with owners choosing to rent. There is 2 apartment rental places there. You can also negotiate your rent too, there are a lot of places available in Portland.
Thank you for the info!

I wasn't trying to bother you all. I am just excited to have matched for my surgical program in Portland. My ex is up there, but that is ok. I will just have to try and avoid her...it is a city of 2 million people...should be doable right?

I am ready for the rain rain and more rain. I will probably have to get a sun lamp.

I was just curious to how long I will be able to enjoy the nice summer weather in Portland before it starts to rain/be dreary again.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:59 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I have always thought of a Portland summer as lasting from July 5th to the second week of October.
Then the big Fall storms start in November.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Medium sized city but if she is in a related field your paths will cross. This is a one-degree of separation metro area, never speak ill of anyone because someone who knows them may be in hearing range.

There are at least three Legacy Hospitals in Portland Metro: Good Sam, Emanuel, and the new one on the northern edge of Vancouver. The street car goes to Good Sam.

IMHO if you are going to different hospitals public transit won't meet your needs, that is why I pointed you to the area basically north and west of Good Sam.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I have always thought of a Portland summer as lasting from July 5th to the second week of October.
Then the big Fall storms start in November.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Medium sized city but if she is in a related field your paths will cross. This is a one-degree of separation metro area, never speak ill of anyone because someone who knows them may be in hearing range.

There are at least three Legacy Hospitals in Portland Metro: Good Sam, Emanuel, and the new one on the northern edge of Vancouver. The street car goes to Good Sam.

IMHO if you are going to different hospitals public transit won't meet your needs, that is why I pointed you to the area basically north and west of Good Sam.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info!

Just one more comparison question....which city...Tucson or Portland? Which one has more perfect 80 degree days?

Obviously more swimming days in Tucson. So more above 80 days in Tucson for sure...

I can't wait to go to all the parks in PDX when it is nice outside!

Old 03-28-2011, 03:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Thank you for the info!

I am ready for the rain rain and more rain. I will probably have to get a sun lamp.
I really think you are obsessing too much on the weather. And if you do get SAD you will more than just a heat lamp. You will need a special lamp made for people with this problem.

Quote:
Just one more comparison question....which city...Tucson or Portland? Which one has more perfect 80 degree days?
Do you mean more days that get up to 80 degrees or more perfect 80 degree days? That is assuming 80 degrees makes a perfect day.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I really think you are obsessing too much on the weather. And if you do get SAD you will more than just a heat lamp. You will need a special lamp made for people with this problem.

I guess I am obsessing too much about the weather, but I know that it is going to be dreary from Nov to May and I wanted to enjoy the 5 months of perfect weather so I can tolerate the rest.

Do you mean more days that get up to 80 degrees or more perfect 80 degree days? That is assuming 80 degrees makes a perfect day.
I am thinking that below about 80 degrees is about a perfect day. Which city has more days around the 80 degree mark?
It is obvious that it gets above 80 more in Tucson.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I am thinking that below about 80 degrees is about a perfect day. Which city has more days around the 80 degree mark?
It is obvious that it gets above 80 more in Tucson.
How on earth do you expect people in the Portland forum to answer this question (unless they look it up on the internet for you)? Most people here have never lived there.

You can find the answer to your question on the internet easily enough.

The same questions, over and over and over again....

You've already decided on moving to Portland. So what's the point of dragging this on and on and on and on?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-28-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
A "perfect" 80 degree day for me is one where I win the Lottery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland