Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Meyer & Frank's, when I got married in 1999, my wife's family (she's from Portland) were pestering her for not registering at Myer & Frank. Several aunts kept asking "Why didn't you register at Myer & Frank?" She was like "I live in NY, why would I register at Myer & Frank?"

They all were so loyal to that store, I seriously doubt they feel the same way about Macy's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
Speaking of Meyer & Frank's, when I got married in 1999, my wife's family (she's from Portland) were pestering her for not registering at Myer & Frank. Several aunts kept asking "Why didn't you register at Myer & Frank?" She was like "I live in NY, why would I register at Myer & Frank?"

They all were so loyal to that store, I seriously doubt they feel the same way about Macy's.
Meyer & Frank's had a wonderful humorous 12 Days of Christmas window display. My favorite was the "Two Turtledoves" which consisted of animatronic turtles with bird-like wings.

Macy's is just another typical store. They don't have either the ambiance or merchandise M&F's had. I do go there to buy Frango Mints though.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:56 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Meyer & Frank's had a wonderful humorous 12 Days of Christmas window display. My favorite was the "Two Turtledoves" which consisted of animatronic turtles with bird-like wings.

Macy's is just another typical store. They don't have either the ambiance or merchandise M&F's had. I do go there to buy Frango Mints though.
I dearly miss M&F (the downtown store at least). The holidays there were such a special time and eating in the Georgian Room was always a fun experience

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM

The Georgian Room was great. There were waiters and staff who had worked there for 20-30 years. I remember when word came that Macy's was shutting them down, many loyal customers came by to say goodbye and brought the employees small gifts to show their appreciation for many years of great customer service.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Oh yes. My mother sold her downtown business in 1974, she and her partner lunched at the Georgian Room several times a week for 20 years. A few years ago husband and I scoped out the Terwilliger Plaza (yes, we are that old) and the chef from the Georgian Room managed their kitchen. Odds are he continued to serve his former clientele.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:37 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
I miss the uniqueness and individuality Portland once had.
That right there.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post

Who's loyal? Just because I REFUSE to shop at Macy's, or watch their stupid parade, for killing Meier & Frank's doesn't make me loyal, does it?

Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
I miss the clothing department at Fred's that used to be in the 39th and Hawthorne Blvd store. They also took it out of the 82nd and Foster Rd store. The large stores still have them like Hollywood and Johnson Creek.

Once Fred's and Newberry's left downtown, there was nothing like them to fill the void. A Target downtown would be great for the people working downtown. And the propsed loctation, the Galleria, is a pretty good place for it. I hope it happens.
There was a clothing department at Freddies on 39th last time I was there (a year or two ago ... I hate to shop). It's upstairs.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:12 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Actually neither the May Company nor Macy's killed Meier & Frank. What did it in was the common problem with succession planning in a firm owned by the families of the founders. There were one-up's man ship games among the executives. One Sunday an executive left a note, "I was here and you weren't!" Not a good situation, they just couldn't trust a retail manager from the outside. Eventually they needed to sell the business to others without that baggage.

Meier & Frank was a client of my mother's business, the Copes (merchandising executive at M&F - leaving in the early 60s) kids were my friends in high school so I overheard snippets of the battles.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
There was a clothing department at Freddies on 39th last time I was there (a year or two ago ... I hate to shop). It's upstairs.
Not since the remodel. The only clothing they sell is underpants and socks. And it's downstairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland