U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 PM

682 posts, read 2,230,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is the drought officially over?
12-Week Animated Drought Conditions
http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/12_week.gif (broken link)

US Drought Monitor
US Drought Monitor
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 02:45 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,750,773 times
I think there is one Wal-Mart in the city of Portland - on 82nd Street, a ways north of the Clackamas Town Center mall.

Phil gave a good run-down of the larger shopping plazas around town in post #24. If you go a bit further south, the town of Wilsonville has a sizable cluster of big-box stores right off the interstate around a street called "Town Center Loop" (exit 283, I believe).

Further south is a large set of factory outlet stores next to the town of Woodburn.

However, there is absolutely nothing near Portland on the order of the Mall of America. Clackamas Town Center and the Lloyd Center tussle back and forth over which one of them is the "biggest mall in Oregon," but in terms of retail square footage, they aren't among the nation's larger malls.

The Airport Way development (anchored on one end by the Ikea store) has popped up and filled out over the course of the past few years (it used to be a field), and if you visit that area, you can combine it with easy side-trips to The Grotto (a 60-acre Catholic sanctuary that is open to the public) and Rocky Butte, both of which are slightly south of Airport Way.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 PM

2,479 posts, read 4,476,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Clackamas Town Center and the Lloyd Center tussle back and forth over which one of them is the "biggest mall in Oregon,"
I thought Washington Square Mall was the largest.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,750,773 times
Quote:
I thought Washington Square Mall was the largest.
I think it was, for a while. Then Lloyd Center was expanded. I'm not sure what Clackamas Town Center's square footage ended up being after its recent redesign. Part of that included the conversion of the old ice rink into retail space. I recall they were "aiming" to become the largest mall; I'm not sure if they got there.

But I do believe that Lloyd Center is currently slightly larger than Washington Square.

Cascade Station (the retail complex on Airport Way) doesn't really count, since it includes a bunch of disconnected big-box stores.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:44 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,283,978 times
I got this from the Clackamas Town Center web site. Their address is actually Happy Valley.

Clackamas Town Center
12000 SE 82nd Avenue, Suite 1093
Happy Valley, Oregon 97086

Old 04-01-2011, 07:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,328,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Is the drought officially over?
It was announced earlier this week that the drought is officially over in California. That's saying a lot! Aside from the floods and landslides, the excess rain this year has really been beneficial.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:36 PM

504 posts, read 1,328,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiled View Post
Summer starts on the Fourth of July.
Actually, ffffffaaaaa1, summer begins on July 5th. It's always gloomy on the 4th.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM

23 posts, read 47,703 times
Ava rosteria is my fav, pretty sure its open all night
4655 Southwest Hall Boulevard
Beaverton, OR 97005-0503

Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 PM

66 posts, read 127,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi117 View Post
Ava rosteria is my fav, pretty sure its open all night
4655 Southwest Hall Boulevard
Beaverton, OR 97005-0503
Thanks! great to hear that!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,810,296 times
I must have gone on a good week to Portland in March; had drizzle, cloudy, even a couple of sunny days.

Have you had Stumptown Coffee? The one next to Ace Hotel stays open till 9, I think, if that makes any difference to you.

Gotta say, from my week long visit there, Portland, for me, is one of my favorite cities in The States. Sorry to hear you don't think much of it.

Though one of the minor issue I have is that it seems, to me, that the day starts late for Portlanders. I wake up at 8 am only to see near empty streets, aside from the bums migrating to their day spots. And I wish that the food carts would stay open later.

If you like grey and/or shiny new buildings, you should check out Seattle. And if I may add, I do not like Seattle -- at all. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland