Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 11:06 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
It is. not even comparable, really.
Nowhere near comparable. Portland is a very vanilla city compared to other metro areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 46,095 times
I have lived in Columbus OH, San Diego, East LA, San Francisco and now Portland. The least safe I felt was actually in Columbus!

The safest I have felt is in Portland. While, as a very petite woman, I wouldn't walk around a dark street at 2am, I do not hesitate to walk by myself, take a bike ride or a bus during reasonable times of the day.

Like one poster already said, anything can happen anywhere and I do have friends who have been mugged here.

Compared to other metro areas, PDX seems to be low on really violent crimes like murder but still has significant property theft.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:51 AM

37 posts, read 84,578 times
I would say the prop crime is above average but you're much less likely to get murdered here than in say New York City or California's major cities.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,312,970 times
United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2011, 03:25 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Can't say I agree with all these posts making it sound like you don't have to look over your shoulder in Portland. You can expect to be seriously harassed if you're walking downtown at 3pm, and put a recyclable Coke can into the trash.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:44 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Can't say I agree with all these posts making it sound like you don't have to look over your shoulder in Portland. You can expect to be seriously harassed if you're walking downtown at 3pm, and put a recyclable Coke can into the trash.
Agreed - you really should be recycling like a good Oregonian. There is no excuse in simply throwing the can away.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM

63 posts, read 273,996 times
I moved to Portland from Denver, and compared to that city, Portland is safe all over. Locals seem to think otherwise, but they also seem to equate minority dominance of a neighborhood with safety, so an areas reputation is often worse than the actual neighborhood. Portland is no rough harbor town; petty crimes like theft and harassment are above average for the city's size, but when it rains, (and that is roughly half the year), crime is almost non existent, even downtown. Six people were murdered here last year and three were shot by the police.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Well, the gang war going on at the moment may mess up that statistic. I noticed when I was in San Jose earlier this month that the same thing is going on there. I suspect that the groups doing battle are the same and doing tit-for-tat up and down I-5.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBletch-PortlandOR View Post
....... Six people were murdered here last year .........
"Portland had 29 homicides in 2010, up from 21 in 2009, which was nearly a 40-year low." ...........the rest of the story here:
2010 Portland homicides total 29 following a record low number last year | OregonLive.com

Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM

161 posts, read 410,806 times
I'm from Oakland (granted, West Oakland/East Berkeley) and believe me, I have ben in some SHADY parts of town and literally been in the same parking lot as someone getting murdered on Fruitvale Ave.

I have not felt unsafe in Portland yet, granted I have not been through the really bad parts of town (or so I have heard) Gresham. I have been walking around downtown, taking the MAX around and even walked around at 10:30 after getting out of a movie in downtown.

My car is SO easy to break into (98 subaru impreza) and when I lived in San Diego it would get broken into once or twice a year. So far in Portland it hasn't been touched (and last week I left my iPod in the front seat parked in a hotel parking lot in Tigard).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland