Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 02:43 PM

12 posts, read 18,567 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am looking into the possibility of moving to Portland early next year. I have read a wealth of information already on this site. It has been very helpful.
I did come across some posts from others who were also moving from MO to OR. I was hoping to get some updates on how they think it compares from one to the other. And if they are happy with their decision.

Preface: I moved to KCMO from OH. I hated the long snowy and freezing winters and the hot and humid summers. Through research I found KCMO to still have seasons but less harsh than OH. Not even a year later and I hate it. It's soooo hot and humid that it ruins the point of it being warm for me. What's the point if I'm still stuck inside because it is that hot and humid. And most of the things I enjoy involve being outdoors, which unless your a fan of sweating to death or heatstroke- it's been almost impossible this summer. Most people I've met are friendly, but as I read on another post- which I think fits here, they seem to be "surface" friendly. I don't really find myself being able to cultivate lasting friendships that would make me want to call this my home.

I apologize in advance if I was suppose to tag along on those posts- but some of them are a few years old.

Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
I have always felt Portland to be a friendly city (for its size). Overall I also think Oregon is a very friendly state. The state is incredibly diverse with ocean beaches, numerous mountain areas, desert... It has something for everyone except a major league baseball or NFL team- and I hope those are being worked on.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Is your only concern the weather? Because you will definitely find it much milder than MO. And you will be able to do a lot more outdoor activities.

I used to visit Kansas City quite a bit and always found people to be friendly but I never lived there so I guess I can't make a comparison. Whether or not someone will be able to make friends in a new place is tough to say unless one knows the person well.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 6,367 times
I'm just on the other side of St Louis (IL), and have been here for three years, so I think I can compare. My wife and I are moving from here to Portland at the end of the year. Before here in Illinois, I had lived in the Portland area for 19 years.

- Portland is so much more green. I know there are some areas that are green here in the Midwest, but Portland is so much more of a darker green. It's amazing.
- Portland's summer normally consists of temperatures in the 80's, sometimes in the 90's, and rarely has it gotten in the 100's. It's also usually a drier heat, totally unlike here in MO/IL. I can't stand it here, and you're right, you only want to go from AC to AC in the summer. In Portland, I hardly ever wanted to be inside. The nights are very relaxing, and it actually cools down to a very comfortable temp, and almost a bit chilly late at night. Perfect for cracking open a window at night and getting a nice cool breeze in.
- Hardly any bugs, compared to MO/IL. Bugs are all over here in MO/IL in the summer. I rent an apartment that has a light on outside at all times of the night and as a result, my door is covered in all kinds of bugs. Doesn't happen in Portland. You'll see some mosquitos, and some house flies, but that's all I really ever saw flying around there. I can't wait until I don't have to ever hear another Cicada. The fireflies here are cool though, I had never seen a firefly until I arrived here in IL.
- Winters are mild. Put on a jacket and you're good to go, no gloves, scarf, etc. required. While it'll be in the negatives here with wind chill in MO/IL, it'll be high 30's, low 40's and rain in Portland. Feels like summer comparatively. A couple days of winter Portland might see snow, and every few years it'll get "the big one", where school is cancelled for a week.
- Outdoor activies. No ticks to worry about in Portland, and comfortable hiking (if it's raining, trees do a good job of keeping it off you. If it's hot, trees do a good job of providing shade). The ocean is an hour and a half west, the mountain is an hour east.

You just have to be able to deal with 8 months of overcast skies. Being here in IL/MO though, I'm pretty much stuck inside for almost 8 months anyway (hot summer, cold winter), and as I said before, as long as you've got a jacket, you can go hiking 10 months out of the year in Portland. Maybe all-year if you're crazy.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop. I think you can tell I can't wait to leave the midwest and leave behind all the bugs, humid summers, and dreadful winters.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:54 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
There is a reason why thousands sold their farms, packed their families in wagons and headed west out of MO.

Weather and geography aside there is a huge cultural difference between OR and MO. There was an executive in a company who derisively referred to Oregon and the businesses new corporate owners as the 'left coast'. A couple years later they moved the plant to OR. I couldn't resist smiling.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 08-02-2012 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Yes there are many, many differences between the two states and the two regions. The OP is just commenting on the weather so it makes me wonder if that is his only concern when there is so much more to think about.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:41 AM

12 posts, read 18,567 times
Default Thank you

Thank you very much for your replies.
Blazer- that is one of the reasons why I started researching Oregon. The possibility of being that close to everything after being surrounded by nothing sounds great. And it's nice to hear that people are friendly there.

skizmanic- thank you!!!! At this point I'm not worried about the overcast skies. the way I look at it- it may actually be more depressing being stuck inside because of the heat. I'm pretty excited to be able to do things outdoors all year around. Even if it only averages to 10 mo. And it really would be nice to at least take my dog to the park. And yes!!! My apt. is like that too! It's the most annoying/gross thing. I can't wait either!! Which month are you guys moving?

Minervah- After reading some of the other posts of MO to OR people I was curious about the weather, activities, social life, people, apts/houses and jobs. But it would be amazing to be below 100-106 in the summer. So yes, my main concern is weather....and apts and jobs. And your right the people here are friendly. But most of those I seem to run into are surface friendly.

Nell- You're funny. I also read that on one of the other posts.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Minervah- After reading some of the other posts of MO to OR people I was curious about the weather, activities, social life, people, apts/houses and jobs. But it would be amazing to be below 100-106 in the summer. So yes, my main concern is weather....and apts and jobs. And your right the people here are friendly. But most of those I seem to run into are surface friendly.
I think the friendly issue has been pretty much beaten to death on another issue so I won't go there here. So how about apts and jobs? What will you be looking for. And regarding the weather, we will be having 96 degrees so they tell us, ugh! I can't wait to get back into the 70's. I personally love the overcast cool days. So does my indoor TV antenna.

Last edited by Minervah; 08-04-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,802 times
I used to live in KC awhile back - I was there for around 20 years... AND I visited this summer (in the furnace - two weeks in July - 108 !!) I can tell you that this summer was not typical in KC... In fact, the last couple of summers have been very mild and not steamy at all - according to my son who is an avid disc golfer and loves to be outside.

I agree with the other posters about the humidity... It feels much lower here in Portland - very rarely that "muggy" stickiness that is so common in the midwest.

That being said, the winters in KC can be brutal. Much more than Ohio (I lived in Cleveland also for 10 years) and although we had snow, the lake kept things not as chilly as the wide open plains in Kansas/MO.

I've lived in Portland for 12 years and I love the weather - even the rain - until around May or so, then I'm ready for warmer weather. But, I am so grateful to be in such a green state. This summer we had a few toasty days, but the nights cooled off to the high 60s and the mornings were pleasant, for the most part.

We stuck our two old window air conditioners and turned them on. Felt good... but we only used them three days. Now, it's in the 70s again and most likely won't warm up THAT much again this year.

Cost of living is quite a bit higher than KC... except food prices. There are grocery liquidators here that offer odd produce and staples at ridiculously low prices... and there are none in KC that I could find.
There are also your standard Safeways, Albertsons, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, QFC, Thriftways, etc...

Portland has lots to offer. Best wishes in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: