Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 14,176 times

Advertisements

So from what i gather so far, it's a little difficult to find ordinary jobs in Oregon due to competition (understandable). I am a beginning cook looking to relocate from Utah to go to culinary school. I don't have too much experience but great job references. Would it really be that tuff to get hired on in a restaurant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Restaurant jobs fall under the category of ordinary unless you have special experience in the higher class fancy establishments. Lots and lots of competition but also lots and lots of turnover. If you are in the right spot at the right time you may succeed. Best to go after the more established restaurants. There are many start ups that don't last more than a year.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 29,231 times
Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
johnterry807 this is common knowledge. If you want research you will need to do it yourself.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM

334 posts, read 487,010 times
there is a cooking school in the down town, I think 'oregon culinary school' or something close. I think the grads get good jobs...just from observation, I have no inside knowledge.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
You have competition from experienced cooks and sous chefs with experience from major food cities. The cost of living is high compared to the wages. Did you go to culinary school? Try to network in your own community and build a strong resume, IMP. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
there is a cooking school in the down town, I think 'oregon culinary school' or something close. I think the grads get good jobs...just from observation, I have no inside knowledge.
Actually two cooking schools, one of which is considered one of the best in the US, and several places like the Art Institute of Portland have cooking degrees.

I'd say chef's jobs are among the hardest to come by, which is a reason so many are opening food carts.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamshards8 View Post
So from what i gather so far, it's a little difficult to find ordinary jobs in Oregon due to competition (understandable). I am a beginning cook looking to relocate from Utah to go to culinary school. I don't have too much experience but great job references. Would it really be that tuff to get hired on in a restaurant?
Talk to an adviser at the culinary school you'll be attending; they may have job listings available to their students that aren't generally advertised. And since you're a beginning cook, you won't be competing for the same jobs as known/experienced chefs, so you could have some luck. Look up "Market of Choice" online; they seem to have openings now and then in their catering department and would be a good place for a culinary student to work.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
A good resource for restaurant info is Portland Food Group. There is a section for employment opportunities. But lots of restauranteurs there, and they're a friendly bunch. Always willing to offer advice.

I was just at a local restaurant's (wish I could remember for you whose it was) website the other day and they had two line cook positions posted. So the jobs are out there, if you can snag them.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 AM

4 posts, read 29,231 times
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Restaurant business
Best regards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland