Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 PM

92 posts, read 362,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Many down to earth and perfectly nice people live on the SE side of town including me and I don't know anyone living here who I would call "holier than thou." That person is painting a whole lot of people with one brush stroke.

One thing you may find as I did, where you land may not necessarily be the place you stay in reference to neighborhoods. I lived all over Portland before finding the area I really felt good in. I have lived there for over 20 years now. You just have to test the waters and see for yourself.
Sound advice Minervah, and thank you. Don't worry, not judging all PDX folks by what one poster said. I met nothing but extremely friendly nice people when we visited. We mainly stayed on the SE side because that is what "called" to me! I think our plan to rent a house from a new friend for two months (in NE) in the first part of the summer is going to really help us explore all the neighborhoods and surrounding cities so that we can make an informed decision and live in a place that we truly fit and fits us.

Keep me posted on any house rentals your landlord may have come up on the SE side (or anywhere else really). Your advice has been wonderful, helpful and encouraging
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherinaustin View Post
Sound advice Minervah, and thank you. Don't worry, not judging all PDX folks by what one poster said. I met nothing but extremely friendly nice people when we visited. We mainly stayed on the SE side because that is what "called" to me! I think our plan to rent a house from a new friend for two months (in NE) in the first part of the summer is going to really help us explore all the neighborhoods and surrounding cities so that we can make an informed decision and live in a place that we truly fit and fits us.

Keep me posted on any house rentals your landlord may have come up on the SE side (or anywhere else really). Your advice has been wonderful, helpful and encouraging
I think you will like the NE part of town. What area of NE is it? Coincidentally, my neighbor who has lived in her apartment for years and years is going to be moving. Her apartment would be too small for your family; it's one bedroom at about 650-700 square feet but the fact that it is available is promising. You never know what might pop up!

My landlord told me about this so I know he is keeping in mind my inquires about availablities in his buildings.

He trusts me because I have given him some good referrals. One thing about Portland is that networking, either for jobs or housing, can really help.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
How do you feel about Portland's surrounding areas? I didn't want to live in the 'burbs but am looking at SOME of them as an alternative. Did you just not like Portland or Oregon in general? Another poster told me all the "holier than thou" people were on the eastside of Portland, which is of course where I was looking to live (wanted Sellwood/Moreland/Reed). I didn't care for SW and can't afford NW. I think Gresham is too East and didn't care too much for Beaverton/Hillsboro.

What's your opinion on other towns like Sherwood or Milwaukie & Oregon City? Nicer people? More accepting of people with their own opinions?
I lived in a Southern suburb which was classified as "conservative....by Oregon standards" - Lake Oswego. It was still full of granola eaters who got up in my business as they tried to change the world. For a guy like me who believes I'll handle my business and you handle yours, it was untenable.

People will always hurry to say I'm stereotyping when I make commentary like that, but the fact is stereotypes get placed on areas for a reason. While not everybody was a whackjob ecoterrorist, enough of them are to where you have to label the city as a whole that way.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 PM

66 posts, read 144,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I lived in a Southern suburb which was classified as "conservative....by Oregon standards" - Lake Oswego. It was still full of granola eaters who got up in my business as they tried to change the world. For a guy like me who believes I'll handle my business and you handle yours, it was untenable.

People will always hurry to say I'm stereotyping when I make commentary like that, but the fact is stereotypes get placed on areas for a reason. While not everybody was a whackjob ecoterrorist, enough of them are to where you have to label the city as a whole that way.
I think you make good points. Nice to hear you like Seattle. I am open to moving there, seems like it has some appeal. Wanted to ck out PDX first.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

I respect your opinion because it comes from actually being there and living there. Often people just dispense information and advice that is not derived from first hand experience. Because they have read about a place or may visited just one time they think they know all about it.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Minervah, it sounds like its difficult to find a good apartment in Portland if you don't know people. Maybe you can be my reference if I move there. Going to have a phone interview this week and there's a good possibility I could be moving. A little (ok, a lot) worried about all the rain, but other than that, think I would like the people and the change of scenery. My only other issue is do I move all my stuff there, or only a few things and keep the rest in storage in Atlanta in case I don't like it or the job doesn't work out. Thats a big decision for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Minervah, it sounds like its difficult to find a good apartment in Portland if you don't know people. Maybe you can be my reference if I move there. Going to have a phone interview this week and there's a good possibility I could be moving. A little (ok, a lot) worried about all the rain, but other than that, think I would like the people and the change of scenery. My only other issue is do I move all my stuff there, or only a few things and keep the rest in storage in Atlanta in case I don't like it or the job doesn't work out. Thats a big decision for me.
Hi Altguy, I am going to PM you for particulars.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM

13 posts, read 29,908 times
Minervah - my husband is transferring with his company and we are moving to PDX early July. When is your friend moving because we are looking for a 1 bedroom but would prefer moving somewhere based on referral. We'd prefer a home/apartment with vintage details and hardwood floors.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acouz View Post
Minervah - my husband is transferring with his company and we are moving to PDX early July. When is your friend moving because we are looking for a 1 bedroom but would prefer moving somewhere based on referral. We'd prefer a home/apartment with vintage details and hardwood floors.

I talked to my neighbor but she is not going to be moving until late August. Her next apartment will be Senior Housing so she has had to wait a bit for this apartment to become available.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM

16 posts, read 22,532 times
Quote:
Thank you, and I am doing my best to be realistic. The funny thing is, everyone keeps telling me that I will hate the weather. 70% of our decision to move to Portland was FOR the weather! We like the rain. We like cooler temps. I'm sure it will take some getting used to but the weather is a positive for us!
Hi Heather! I couldn't wait to get to the end of this thread before writing to you so I don't know if you've moved here or not...I am a native Austinite who moved to Portland last April. I moved here solely FOR the weather, as I had never liked heat or sun so was pretty much miserable for about 10 months out of the year in TX. What everyone has said about visiting versus living here is true: my visit in Feburary was magical and fun, and I did move here with no job but a pile o cash so I was able to rent downtown for six months...the weather has been pretty great, except for summer, which I suffered through, and winter is surprisingly mild. The job situation is shockingly bad compared to how easily I could get jobs in Austin. I moved out to Hillsboro to save on rent and have a warehouse job which is okay...I was thinking I didn't like Portland enough to stay (becaue I was homesick for Texan friendliness), but I had to make a list of positive things about this area that made me decide to stay at least another year: natural beauty, mountains, coast nearby, green like Ireland, awesome amount of grey skies and rain (though I'd prefer more). It feels sort of like Austin did in the early 90's, before things got crazy there with the growth. Portland seems very expensive to me also. I moved to Austin in 1979 and thought of it as Utopia until about 1987...I hated it until I moved last year. It's taking time to make friends and form community, but I'm sure that is difficult when one is middle aged & single, but I love small theater and a funky downtown and that can't be beat here...hope you are loving it here...if you are here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland