U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:30 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,506,706 times

Advertisements

The way the Portland Water Bureau has been run for the last 10 years has been a subject of much anger and debate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM

254 posts, read 396,116 times
I just called (in a panic) a couple of families I know that live in the area we're relocating to, and their bills are closer to the $100-$125 a month range. Still, higher than I expected, by a lot, but not $250/month.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The way the Portland Water Bureau has been run for the last 10 years has been a subject of much anger and debate.
Um, yeah, I imagine so. I'm not even there yet and I'm angry and ready to debate. That seems so inexcusable I can't even laugh at the irony of somewhere so rainy charging such fees for water.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM

6,466 posts, read 12,247,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Um, yeah, I imagine so. I'm not even there yet and I'm angry and ready to debate. That seems so inexcusable I can't even laugh at the irony of somewhere so rainy charging such fees for water.
I won't pretend that the system doesn't have problems, but to be fair they have also been hit with some huge needs.

The Big Pipe project was pretty much a necessity, there are no circumstances that warrant dumping raw sewage into the River.

Covering the water reservoirs has cost millions already just in law suits to fight the Federal Law stating it has to be done. Even though Portland doesn't have those circumstances that made the law pass in the first place. It's going to be billions to do so.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Sure, everywhere has infrastructure needs. It's still shocking.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,420,696 times
Half of the bill isn't water, it's sewer. For someplace so rainy, the water has to go somewhere and there's a lot of water. The water and sewer system has been poorly run and continues to have issues. You can save quite a bit if you can get your downspouts disconnected.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Very good point. I'm sure once I give it time to soak in I'll get over it. No choice. I think it's just shocking because I've never had to pay a water bill. Or trash. One of those differences between renting in SoCal and renting in PDX. It's good to know in advance, though.

The fellow I spoke to at the water company did mention the on-site stormwater discount. I have to check out the situation, but I believe we'll qualify on the number of trees on the property alone. $20 a month is $20 back in my pocket, I'll take it. We don't qualify for any other discounts (income, etc.).

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,151,545 times
Our bill is about $22 per month but we have low flow spouts on everything. And we have a laundry room rather than a personal washing machine.

And Sondeera--a FYI since you're coming from CA--you don't water your lawn here. It goes dormant and comes right back. When I first moved here we watered the lawn and our neighbors thought we were nuts. When we had a house our water bill was about $100 per month. You can also get free bulbs and low flow faucets from the energy trust if your house doesn't already have them. That will help.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,322,859 times
I live in the Tualatin Hills water district, and my water and sewer bill (for a 2000 sqf house) is on average $60 / month.
(I don't bother watering the lawn)

Yet another bonus for living outside Portland

Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM

892 posts, read 1,420,696 times
A little newsletter thing comes with the water bill. One year, the summer one had an article about not watering your lawn and had a you-cut thing to stick in your lawn that said "shhh, the lawn is sleeping". If you see a green lawn in August, chances are that person did not grow up in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland