U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

254 posts, read 394,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Our bill is about $22 per month but we have low flow spouts on everything. And we have a laundry room rather than a personal washing machine.

And Sondeera--a FYI since you're coming from CA--you don't water your lawn here. It goes dormant and comes right back. When I first moved here we watered the lawn and our neighbors thought we were nuts. When we had a house our water bill was about $100 per month. You can also get free bulbs and low flow faucets from the energy trust if your house doesn't already have them. That will help.

Thank you for the heads up. I was wondering why all the lawns were dead in the Google Maps pictures I would see - it was totally puzzling! I'm glad I know or I would've been ticked off that the lawn was dead when we got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
A little newsletter thing comes with the water bill. One year, the summer one had an article about not watering your lawn and had a you-cut thing to stick in your lawn that said "shhh, the lawn is sleeping". If you see a green lawn in August, chances are that person did not grow up in Oregon.
Haha! I love that sign idea. That's fantastic. Honestly, it's going to be hard not watering the lawn. I have a lot of de-programming to do. Despite all the time I've spent visiting Portland growing up, there's still going to be a fair amount of culture shock. That's okay, I'll get over it.

I totally appreciate the inside information!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM

10,666 posts, read 18,068,190 times
Part of the issue with Portland water & sewer is old leaky pipes. They are being replaced bit by bit (Portland has its own big dig).

Yes the City Council has looked at water & sewer as a cash cow. I have never signed a petition in the past but I will sign one to establish a Public Utility District for this. When I lived on Bainbridge Island I was an elected commissioner of a sewer district. We could never do what the Council has done - diverting funds, nor would we want to.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM

2,792 posts, read 3,449,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
Very good point. I'm sure once I give it time to soak in I'll get over it. No choice. I think it's just shocking because I've never had to pay a water bill. Or trash. One of those differences between renting in SoCal and renting in PDX. It's good to know in advance, though.
You must be renting from a private person or smaller company. Almost all apartments owned by management companies make you pay water/sewage/trash. In fact, very few pay for those things anymore. So count yourself lucky My water/sewage/trash bill at most apts was about $50/mo. Looks like our water rates are still very low all things considering. Especially in central OC because of the groundwater usage.

I'm telling ya, now that I'm here, I'm seeing how utilities are where we're going to get robbed (coming from OC). Not really, but you know what I mean.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:31 PM

254 posts, read 394,349 times
I've rented from huge companies, from mid size places, and private landlords. I've rented houses, condos, and apartments. Never paid a water or trash bill. I've lived in Whittier, Costa Mesa, Hollywood, Long Beach, and Santa Ana. I know that companies like Irvine Company have you pay everything, but outside that I've never encountered it here. Oh well. Doesn't change the fact I have to get used to paying it now!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,396,969 times
It is hard to get used to. I never paid for that on the East Coast, either!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,306,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
It is hard to get used to. I never paid for that on the East Coast, either!
Nor did I in Chicago. But I find it oftens differs from landlord to landlord here. I think it also differs as to whether you are renting an apartment, duplex or house.

Things differ so much from place to place. One thing that still surprises me is how tenants are often allowed to plant flowers or do landscaping. When I first moved into my neighborhood and the people renting the apartments were primarily retirees, my building and others had beautiful flowers growing all over the courtyards. The older people, most who had moved from their own homes where they had flower gardens, planted and tended these small flower gardens in every available space around their apartments. In Chicago where I was from, a tenant never touched the outside of the area of the building in which they lived.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,321 times
Wow Portland's electric rates seem to be at or below the national average but these water/sewer rates are high. I just came across this article that says Portland has the 5th most expensive water/sewer rates in the country!

http://oregonbusinessreport.com/2012...r-sewer-rates/

Quote:
The five cities with the highest water/sewer rates in the United States in 2011:
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Seattle, Washington
- Newport, Rhode Island
- San Francisco, California
- Portland, Oregon
And that's just from 2011. It's probably gotten even more expensive since then.

Last edited by EarthValley; 07-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,306,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthValley View Post
Wow Portland's electric rates seem to be at or below the national average but these water/sewer rates are high. I just came across this article that says Portland has the 5th most expensive water/sewer rates in the country!

Portland has nation’s 5th highest water-sewer rates | Oregon Business Report

And that's just from 2011. It's probably gotten even more expensive since then.

They have. I do not have the stats but according a series of reports that was recently shown on one of our local news shows this has been the case partially due to our antiquated sewer system. What is going to present future problems is the strain on these older systems in older neighborhoods like mine where very large apartment buildings are going up and the systems will be taxed to the max.

The concern is that the water and sewer systems will not be able to handle the strain. Just in the past few years for the first time basements have begun to flood during the more milder rain storms. This is something new. The sewers can't handle the drainage. They need to be fixed and updated and that costs money.

Our city water/sewer system must stop sharing with other departments. It cannot afford to serve as other department's piggy bank.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,154,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Fluoride failed. The biggest problem was that the City Council OK'd it without any input. Portland, Ore., rejects adding fluoride to drinking water

Portland Art Tax: Arts Tax | The City of Portland, Oregon
Thanks. Personally, I'm glad it failed. I've done some reading on fluoride and it's controversial, at best. I would prefer not to have this chemical in my drinking water. From what I've read, drinking it does nothing to prevent cavities. It's not in your mouth long enough. Brushing with fluoride toothpaste helps prevent cavities, as do fluoride treatments for children, etc. Those are choices people can make on an individual basis. I'm glad it's not in the water in Portland, and other cities are removing it. Other developed countries do not add it to water supplies.

10 Fluoride Facts You Should Know

Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,154,961 times
The OP asked about water and electric rates in Portland. I'm wondering if Portland has reduced electric rates for seniors? Here in MI the utility company has an option for those 62 and over with lower rates under a certain amount of usage, which I think is 700 kwh per month. So if you use a lower amount per month and are 62 or over, your rates are lower. Does Portland do anything like this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland