Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,587 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Portland from LA area. I would really like to cut down my commute and also find a very nice neighborhood that is family friendly with outstanding schools. The problem seems to be that I would likely be working at the Sunnyside Hospital area most of the time at the start with occasional need to go to OHSU but after a few years I might be at OHSU daily. I would like to find a place to live that has a reasonable commute to either location as I don't want to be forced to move in a few years and uproot my children from their schools. I have spent alot of time trying to research the neighborhoods and schools but am hampered a bit by not knowing the realistic commute and traffic. People like to say you can get anywhere in 15-20 min but I am not sure that I really believe that. Schools take priority so would tolerated a little longer commute for the best schools. I've thought about Lake Oswego, West Linn, the area around Lewis and Clark, Eastmoreland. What do you think of those areas and where else? WE would probably rent for 6-9 months before buying but would try to rent in the area we plan to stay so I can get a better feel of the area before buying and start my daughter in prek so I want to have a fairly good idea of where I plan to concentrate on. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Eastmoreland area home prices are over $750,000.00 typically. L.O. is known for being very upscale also. West linn is a nice community, but if you were looking to purchase a home, you may need a dual income family.

Just for clarity, the City of Portland Sunnyside neighborhood, as far as I know does not have any hospitals in it. The Portland Sunnyside neighborhood is bordered by SE Hawthorne on the north. There is also a Sunnyside area in Clackamas County that is very different from the Sunnyside of the City of Portland. I am going to presume you are referring to the deep, deep, far into the 'burbs of Sunnyside in Clackamas County that is almost at the edge of the Urban Growth Boundary; south of Happy Valley along I-205.

I doubt there is any mass transit out that way. It is strictly Car-Is-King.

Are you moving from out of state? You really need to visit that area before committing yourself to Happy Valley and Sunnyside. From my limited knowledge, and here it is very limited, this area is strictly suburban area, and very little, culturally speaking, with the main parts of Portland. It could be just what you want. Just not my cup of tea, as most regulars on this board already know.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:23 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Golly, you couldn't have chosen two more disconnected locations. Sunnyside implies you will be working for Kaiser. You do know they have a hospital on the boards out by Hillsboro, right? If there is any chance you will be working there I don't recommend locating near Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital - particularly if you will also visit OHSU regularly.

Crazy as it may seem the area around Grant High School may be your best bet... not far off I-84.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 25,983 times
Yes, I am talking about the Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital in Clackamas. And yes I am coming from out of state-good guess. I have visited although not long term. That hospital along with OHSU is simply where the job is and I can't change that part of the equation so I have to do my best to work with it. Without that job, I really wouldn't make the move right now. I am ok with somewhat suburban to have a smaller commute on a daily basis though would rather not be totally isolated. I have honestly never lived somewhere that you don't have to drive alot although I should say that I took a bus to work for 2 of the 3 years I lived in Seattle. Still I never took it to go anywhere else in town although that was because we lived in Redmond. That was also before kids. I simply have no concept of how you drop your kids off at school and then hop on mass transit which drops you conveniently outside your work because right now I have to spend 1-1.5 hours in the car to drop kids off and get to work. It would be lovely though.
I am not planning to spend 750k but was thinking more like 500. I saw some houses for sale online in that range in all those communities though fewer in eastmoreland.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 25,983 times
oops, guess I changed identities. Still me, AOK.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Oh and while we are at it, could throw out the other option which would be to work in Salmon Creek WA and then eventually more at OHSU. Seemed like I could live easily in salmon creek area though not too exciting but then I'd be in trouble when I needed to go to OHSU. I don't think I would be needing to go to the new hospital in Hillsboro

Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
DON'T live in Salmon Creek, the interstate bridge travel will drive you nuts. The fact that you could be working almost anyplace in the metro area still pulls me to a central location long term.

You could live initially in Happy Valley but I, for one, wouldn't be happy there long.

Once you have settled in negotiate a workplace that doesn't have you running all over town.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:31 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times
Hmm there's no true "in between" that is a nice area to live. But I agree with Nell, dont live in Salmon Creek. You could consider Lake Oswego or Tualatin even. Both are right off I-5 and even though your commute to Sunnyside would be a bit longer it still wouldnt be terrible taking I-5 to I -205.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
I'd go for West Linn, personally. It'd put you right along I-205 for easy access to Kaiser-Sunnyside. Real good school district. And for occasional commutes to OHSU, I don't think Hwy 43, along the river, would be too long a commute. And it's even a gorgeous drive.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks. EnricoV, it would be occasional commutes to OHSU at first-perhaps a few weeks a year to start but might be 5 or more days a week within about 4 years. At that point I am not sure if I would need to go to Sunnyside anymore or not. How bad is the west linn to OHSU commute on a daily basis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland