Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM

17 posts, read 30,693 times

Advertisements

So I've checked out the crime maps, but I'm curious to hear the local take on what some of the seedier areas of Portland might be, so I have a greater idea of what to steer clear of.

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceo Parker View Post
So I've checked out the crime maps, but I'm curious to hear the local take on what some of the seedier areas of Portland might be, so I have a greater idea of what to steer clear of.

Any input?
Long story...
But depending on your definition of what 'seedier' is...
This map, the purple areas on the east side:
http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/in...=30426&a=51673

More of a two fist-ed drinking (shot of whiskey in one hand, beer in the other) inexpensive homes (trailer parks, ultra cheap construction, etc) and stripped cars on side of house type of place. Not for Oregon newbies. A few OK housing sections, but you still should not be a newbie to Oregon; newbie reception is a very cold shoulder out that way. Go slightly further out to Clackamas county if you need to live that far out in the south east of the City of Portland.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 PM

We'll be staying in Hillsboro and working outwards from there. Anyone familiar with the immediate area?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:48 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Hillsboro is a huge and very diversified area. There is a downtown core with Victorian Houses, easy access to Max, to High Density Industrial (Intel,) High Density Offices, Warehouse districts, an airport, and farmland.

The population is a mix of multi-generation families, Mexican Immigrants who came originally as field laborers, Native Oregonians who moved there to be close to work, and H-1 Visa holders and their families working at Intel or one of the other tech companies.

What specifically are you looking for?
What specifically do you want to know?

Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Really just generally curious about the more desirable areas to check out for a young family moving to the Portland area. Our hotel's in Hillsboro, but we're not stuck specifically there.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,771 times
Quote:
Really just generally curious about the more desirable areas to check out for a young family moving to the Portland area. Our hotel's in Hillsboro, but we're not stuck specifically there.
Hillsboro is a great place for a family! There really is no "unsafe" area on the westside. What kind of neighborhood characteristics are you looking for? Where will you be working?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:02 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,655 times
Quote:
We'll be staying in Hillsboro and working outwards from there. Anyone familiar with the immediate area?
I think Hillsboro itself will fit in with what you are looking for. The school, the park, the bike ...etc... Check out the Library while you there.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
Hillsboro is a great place for a family! There really is no "unsafe" area on the westside. What kind of neighborhood characteristics are you looking for? Where will you be working?

Looking for parks and safe neighborhoods, the typical trappings a young family generally needs. I work from home, so the local job market isn't much of an issue.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,484,001 times
Quote:
Looking for parks and safe neighborhoods, the typical trappings a young family generally needs. I work from home, so the local job market isn't much of an issue.
As someone who has only lived in the Portland area a short time, IMO, Portland is unique. (Yes, I know, everyone says that about their new hometown..)

But in Portland (for many reasons) commuting from the suburbs is difficult; better roads for commuting only encourages urban sprawl (as you already know.)

Since you are not going to joining the rush hour crunch, that whole discussion is irrelevant in your case. If you are looking for Car-Is-King suburban living, which will meet your demands for safe neighborhoods and better than average schools, you could select just about any suburban area in the West Slope of Portland out to Hillsboro. Or go for one of Portland's southern suburbs. Until you are more knowledgeable about the greater Portland area, if you desire suburban living (where you must use a car for everything) stick with Southern and Western sides of Portland's 'burbs outside of Multnomah County.

But you will be in the 'burbs. 'Burbs just like every other community in USA. This is not the "Portland" that so many have heard rumors about outside of Oregon. You get the Pacific North West winters, along with the living in 'burbs; some like it, some don't.

The "Portland" that so many have heard rumors about how great Portland can be, is only specific neighborhoods of Portland. As you would expect, these distinct neighborhoods inside the City Limits of Portland, each have their own unique 'vibe' so Portland City overall may have the larger 'vibe' of being a collection of small villages, rather than a single massive urban city. YMMV. ( For some, this neighborhood 'vibe' thing will help forestall the long Oregon winter & spring blahs. again YMMV)

And just so you know, if commuting is of no concern, Vancouver, Washington is a great place for safe family friendly suburbia living, plus you get to save money on housing and State Income Taxes (WA has no state income tax.) Just remember the mantra: work in Oregon, live in Oregon -- Work in WA, live in WA.

So, what it comes down to-- are you looking for:
Newer construction 'burbs
Late Last Century 'burbs (Car-Is-King)
Mid-Century 'burbs (Car-Is-King) but small walkable business blocks.
Mid-Century 'burbs with easy Mass Transit and business blocks.
Urban / city-fied single family housing (translation: small room homes on small lots)
Urban Condo, high density, hip, and urban life-style (but still mostly family-friendly)

But only you can make the call. Have you considered renting for a year before buying a home?

I think, and this is just a guess based on the your posts, that you might be more inclined to 'burb housing 5 miles either side of I-5 (or Highway 99W) from Downtown Portland to maybe as far as Wilsonville; west of Willamette River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland