Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM

638 posts, read 1,175,443 times

Advertisements

Yes we are! Super excited about our house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 21,786 times
I have driven a 35' RV from Sacramento to Austin via the LA route. It was pretty much uneventful the whole way, not a horrible drive really. Had two drivers and we did it in two days with basically only one stop over. I am now planning to relocate from Austin to Portland in the Dec timeframe and will be hauling the RV with a 24' enclosed trailer behind it. Not looking forward to the long trip but am planning on NOT going the LA route and making a bit longer and more scenic drive of it.... My RV is a diesel so pulls well uphill but I do expect to take it really easy in any mountainous sections....pity those behind me but they'll just have to be patient as I lug up the hills!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:52 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,867,125 times
tx1ton, if you're moving in December, you're going to need traction devices no matter which way you go.

But, I've moved from PDX to Austin (and back) and have gone both the I-5/I-10 route and the zig-zag route over the continental divide. The I-5/I-10 route has just two dicey stretches which may cause you trouble in December: the "Grapevine" and the Siskyous. If you do the zig-zag route through Colorado/Wyoming/Utah/etc., you'll be at a higher altitude for a much longer period of time, with greater potential of snow and bad weather.

To avoid LA, veer off I-10 to the 210/Foothill Freeway at Redlands, and take it all the way west to I-5.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Good point, you get so used to mild winters living in TX that you often forget that travel can be a challenge in the altitudes in winter.....I can't tell you how many Xmas's I've spent in shorts and a tee shirt! Thanks for the reminder!!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,585 times
We made the drive from Austin, TX to Portland, OR in July of this year. Always meant to come back and report on this for anyone considering doing something similar. We took the sell-it-all-except-for-what-will-fit-in-a-car approach and took a long, 2 week trip to Portland, visiting 6 national parks along the way.

Here are some pics from the road trip (warning: lots of pics on one page). Also there are many hiking pics on the main page from awesome hikes we've done in Oregon so far, many of them from this month (October).

austin, tx to portland, or, national park road trip

Anyway, our experience of starting over here has been extremely positive. I hope to help some others on this forum since I know we had a lot of questions and concerns before making the jump, and are very happy we didn't let any of the negative threads talk us out of it. I'll write up something more detailed when I get a chance.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx1ton View Post
Good point, you get so used to mild winters living in TX that you often forget that travel can be a challenge in the altitudes in winter.....I can't tell you how many Xmas's I've spent in shorts and a tee shirt! Thanks for the reminder!!
So I'm actually going to make the trek next week. Anyone have current weather/road condition info to help plan the trip. Wondering if there's a good site you'd recommend to get up to the minute info?

Thx! This trip has me worried either way we choose to go!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,615,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx1ton View Post
So I'm actually going to make the trek next week. Anyone have current weather/road condition info to help plan the trip. Wondering if there's a good site you'd recommend to get up to the minute info?

Thx! This trip has me worried either way we choose to go!

I usually go up through the mountain state route and over Oregon on 84W, but would be hesitant to drive in winter.

www.Tripcheck.com and www.gorgesearch.com/weather.htm (broken link) might help.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,646,562 times
In winter best bet from Texas would be to take I-10 west. Then I-5 north. The mountains in South Oregon are easier compared to going up through Utah and then across East Oregon. I-84 can be brutal in winter been there done that. I have driven to Oregon from Texas at least once a year for the past 5 years and the only route I would consider in winter is the southern route. I know this is probably after the fact and here only help someone making a search on the subject.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,045,497 times
Last time we drove from Oregon to Texas, we had to go through Nevada because the snow in Idaho/Wyoming/Colorado was terrible.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,909 times
HOw did the move go/ I am thinking of moving to oregon from Austin--do you recommend it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland