Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,777 times

Advertisements

Here's our story. We are 27 & 29, married with no kids. We live in Florida because that is where our parents brought us as kids. We both hate the sun and beach. Not really "paradise" to us. We own a house in a rinky-dink town filled with retirees. We bought a house because it was the next thing to do... married, check...college degrees, check...careers in field, check...house, check. (For those wondering...my brother and his family are going to rent my house as soon as we give the green light, but we also have savings just in case.) We both hate living in a rural area and want to live in a more populated, younger city. We don't want to deal with snow. I was born in the Bay Area and loved the weather and scenery, but nothing else about California seems appealing. He has an Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering but works as an IT System Analyst. I am an Elementary teacher with a Bachelors. We know the job market their is competitive so we will not move unless we get jobs first. Our plans is to live off his income and then I will sub or find part time work until I can get a job as a teacher. We have savings but we are not going to count on it. We both being nerds, have developed an excel file with out current expenses and income and our future expenses and income, including flights home to Florida twice a year. We have been researching Portland for a year now and it might still be a year before we move. We expect to make sacrifices to live in the city, such as going to one car. Even though we have convinces ourselves that we will like living in Portland, we will be spending a week in Portland at the end of the month. (I know it's one of the nicer-weather months and I really wish we could experience the rainier ones but being a school teacher, summer is the only time to get away. We might plan for a small trip in December)

Ok, that's us. Here's my questions: How do we experience Portland as if we lived there - to make sure Portland is for us? Some things on our to-do are using only the transit system. Getting up Monday and fighting the work crowds, breakfast, coffee, transit, etc. (sorry to get in the way, we just need to know what it is like). Checking out apartments, we've looked at many online, but we want to get an idea of the different areas at night. One of the reasons Portland is appealing is the bike friendliness so we are going to rent bikes are actually use the bike lanes to see how comfortable we are and if we get ran over! LOL One of the things I miss about California is the great festivals. Florida festivals are not nearly as nice. From research Oregon seems to also have great festivals and we will be in town during the Oregon Brewers Festival - so we will go one day to that.

There is another thing that boggles my mind. How come I can't find an apartment that both accepts small dogs AND has a washer/dryer (or at least connections)? We can tolerate a lot but those are our two requirements. So suggestions are welcome. How do you sort through the income-restricted housing? Some say half and half, do most of them have full price rates as well? Some just say "affordable" housing, does that mean affordable for everyone or just for low income?

Thanks to everyone and anyone with advice. We hope to make the move very responsibly... or not at all if it isn't for us. So please positive, but honest replies only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
First your husband needs to focus on finding a job. Lifestyle wise Eugene (home of the U of OR) would actually be a better fit for you. I don't know if Symantec has suitable openings but they have a large office there.

You may need to tough out the washing machine issue because the dogs are probably non-negotiable. Rental vacancy rates are historically low in Portland Metro, Eugene too unless you are looking during the summer. Rent something that you could tough it out in for 6-12 months and during that time you can find housing that works for you.

I would avoid considering any rental that lists itself as 'affordable', the issue is always 'by what measure'. Right now Portland's rents are on the high side when one considers salaries.

Good luck finding your right niche.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Good news is that with a Mechanical Engineering degree, your husband maybe able to find a job easier in the Portland area.

The IT Field in general is over populated here in PDX, but Systems Analyst is pretty generic so depending on his exact skills he may have really good luck, or none at all. Either way the IT field in Portland area is all about who you know. Get to know people via LinkedIn, when you get here attend one of the several great IT-specific Networking groups that are all over PDX area.

If he wants to explore the LinkedIn route, PM me and I'll send you my link. I still get hit up with a lot of recruiters looking for good IT people.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,777 times
Thank you Nell for your quick reply! I know you were only going off what I provided and this is a forum not a a real conversation, but why do you feel Eugene would be a good fit? My husband being an engineer at heart is infatuated with mass transit. Meaning we have to live close enough and in a big-ish city for it to be practical.

You're absolutely right, dog is non-negotiable. My 5 y/o Yorkie is also looking forward to moving to a dog friendlier city. Our current location has zero dog parks! I agree on the W/D. But we always find the good in things... that means we can do more than one load at a time and it doesn't take all day!

Affordable rentals, stay away - noted!

Thanks again!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM

I mention Eugene because it has an extensive system of dedicated bike trails that are really used by the entire community: http://pages.uoregon.edu/acook1/EugeneMap.pdf Because of the presence of the University it also has cultural events offered at a reasonable price.

Portland is bike friendly but with the exception of the Springwater Corridor Trail and multi-use paths you are competing on the streets with cars and trucks. Portland Bike Maps & Trip Planning Tools

Jobs are definitely more plentiful in Portland metro and we do have an excellent mass transit system for a community with our population (aka, NYC and DC we are not).

As hamellr said, jobs are found in Portland through networking.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Some things are just traditional in some cities. Most Portland apartments just traditionally do not come with washer/dryers. You can find these more common in the newer complexes in the larger suburban complexes though. Those complexes will also be more lenient when it comes to allowing pets.

Portland rentals have always traditionally (there's that word again) been tight. Now a days there is a three percent vacancy rate in Portland so it's really a landlord's market. The good news is with extra pet deposits you will be able to find a place that will allow your dog. However, you will more than likely have to compromise on the washer/dryer in the apartment deal if you have your heart set on wanting to live in Portland.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 PM

Laundry rooms and laundromats can be great places to meet people. I know one Portland executive who used a laundromat to clean the clothes her kids brought back from camp.. you never know who you might meet.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:53 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,026,688 times
Here's an apartment complex in Beaverton that allows small dogs and has a washer & dryer in each unit:

Apartments for Rent in Beaverton, Oregon 97005 | Canyon Park Apartments

Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandisu View Post
Thank you Nell for your quick reply! I know you were only going off what I provided and this is a forum not a a real conversation, but why do you feel Eugene would be a good fit?
I don't really understand that suggestion. Eugene has some nice amenities but it's a college town with limited employment opportunities. I really wouldn't make your entire decision on the fact that most of the time you'll have to ride your bike in the street in Portland. You're moving (if you do it) from the state with the most bike fatalities to one of the least. I can't even stress the difference in infrastructure you will see, and can't even begin to describe the difference in auto drivers you will experience (I lived in Florida for a summer and have been down there many times).

As for your original post. You should visit here a few times especially during rainy season (ie. most of the year). But in reality nothing is really going to prepare you for living here until you take the plunge and actually do it.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I don't really understand that suggestion. Eugene has some nice amenities but it's a college town with limited employment opportunities. I really wouldn't make your entire decision on the fact that most of the time you'll have to ride your bike in the street in Portland. You're moving (if you do it) from the state with the most bike fatalities to one of the least. I can't even stress the difference in infrastructure you will see, and can't even begin to describe the difference in auto drivers you will experience (I lived in Florida for a summer and have been down there many times).

As for your original post. You should visit here a few times especially during rainy season (ie. most of the year). But in reality nothing is really going to prepare you for living here until you take the plunge and actually do it.
Having lived in both states, I agree about the drivers. FL leads the nation as you said in bike fatalities.

Oregon has great drivers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland