Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,817 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I got a job transfer up to Vancouver, WA. I was only given a month to move. My start date is June 6th. So we have to find a place to live in the next couple of weeks. It's me, my wife and 18 month old baby. We currently live in Oakland, California which is about a 10 hour drive from Portland (maybe more with the baby). We are on a tight budget but are considering driving up this weekend to try and secure a place to move into the following week or so. We were trying to avoid doing this given the time and budget constraints. But we have been scouring craigslist for places and are having a hard time finding desirable places to live. We have been told by some friends that one is generally more likely going to find a cool place to live in a desirable neighborhood by looking for "for rent" signs versus a craigslist approach.

Local Portlanders: Are we more likely to find a nice 2 bedroom with hardwood floors and decent storage in NE or SE Portland (not past 82nd or other sketchy areas) if we go and drive around looking for "for rent" signs? p.s. We HATE property management companies and prefer to rent from owners.
Is there any hope of finding something like this? Or should we suck it up and call a property management listing from afar?

Thank you!
joel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 PM

P.S., given some of the concerns mentioned above, we are focusing our efforts on finding a place in Portland vs. Vancouver. But any input about that decision is very welcome.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM

117 posts, read 273,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillslikafish View Post
P.S., given some of the concerns mentioned above, we are focusing our efforts on finding a place in Portland vs. Vancouver. But any input about that decision is very welcome.
If your job is in Vancouver, live in Vancouver... no commute over the bridge and no paying state income tax.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM

600 posts, read 1,463,886 times
why on earth would you want to live in Portland if you work in Vancouver?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Definitely something we've taken into consideration, but we feel like the quality of life in Portland will outweigh the inconveniences.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
why on earth would you want to live in Portland if you work in Vancouver?
My job in Vancouver is a 15 minute drive from Portland. Half the commute I currently do. Quality of life is important to us.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
always check it out first!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,321,279 times
Quote:
Definitely something we've taken into consideration, but we feel like the quality of life in Portland will outweigh the inconveniences.
I think you will change your mind once you try it. Why not get a place in Vancouver first and then you can determine whether or not the move to Portland is worthwhile.

I don't believe there is any such thing as a 15 minute commute from Vancouver to Portland.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 PM

My partner has commitments in Portland. The commute to work in Vancouver sounds less hectic than vice-versa from what people have told us who live in the area. Again, I'm very interested to hear input on the idea that you are more likely to find a nice place to live by looking for "for rent" signs.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 PM

26,489 posts, read 36,346,941 times
Quote:
My job in Vancouver is a 15 minute drive from Portland. Half the commute I currently do. Quality of life is important to us.
Keep in mind that if you live in Portland, and you work in another state, you will pay Oregon State income tax, which is pretty high. If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it, but be sure you know what you're committing yourself to first. Oregon income tax is high enough so that it can impact your quality of life, especially if you're on a tight budget as you state in your first post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland