Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Seattle overshadow Portland?
YES 37 57.81%
NO 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 AM

616 posts, read 645,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le-Le View Post
@hamller Great humorous descriptive points on both cities! !
humorous but very incorrect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWonderful85 View Post
yeah, tho the two areas on the map are like night and day culture wise.
if i could id move back to chicago. perfect balance for me.
pilly is kind of the washington and portland in a lot of ways and new york's only likeness to either is washington has some buildings that are kinna tall. if you've never been to washington or portland and your from anywhere near chicago new york or anywhere over there (besides indiana) then your in for a shock if you go and decide to stay. not a good one if you like being able to meet people and have people to share life with. has to be built in or brought with you unless you're willing to work way too hard and get a lot of cold shoulders and disrespectful looks. its just how it is. i seriously don't agree with it but i gotta live in wa for now so i just write "f*ck off" on almost everything i own and people stop w most of the glairs and putting on airs. might have to add "and f*ck you" if portland is anywhere near like how the people from there talk.

cleaner air tho. and more trees in some places tho they are cutting them down like we'll never run out somehow. its ironic. the greenest places on earth and their cutting it down thousands at a time. weve already messed up the planet so why not but don't forget your recycling? idk, doesnt make sense at all. was a real sad shock once i started seeing it. It takes a few weeks to notice that people aren't all there because they cover it up real good. at least it seems that way to us coming here. then later its obvious how insecure everyone is and why they are so afraid for the weirdest things. like a smile. or walking in the opposite direction passing them. you know. normal stuff. lol

these two are not comparable to those two at all in that way.
I hope you understand that I created this thread over 4 years ago.

I've already traveled to Portland to experience the city for myself.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope you understand that I created this thread over 4 years ago.

I've already traveled to Portland to experience the city for myself.
Hope you enjoyed your trip or trips here.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Not in the same way. NYC is one of if not the best city in the world. No comparison to Philidelphia. Seattle overshadows PDX in that it is bigger and more glamorous but there are easy comparisons to each other. No comparison between NYC and any other East Coast city. Boston may be overshadowed by NYC, though.
LOL.
There is nothing especially glamorous about Seattle. If you want Glamour, go to the East Coast or LA.

Seattle is more of a nerd city, which in itself, isn't a bad thing. Lots or super bright people in the area because of UW, which, IMHO, is one of the very best public universities in the country.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Hope you enjoyed your trip or trips here.
Yes I have.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Yes I have.
I loved Philly when I was there--except for the runny over easy eggs--too runny

Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 PM

609 posts, read 808,642 times
Seattle is a tall, slender woman in high heels and a business suit. You know she's from Seattle rather than New York is because her hair is gray and she's only 29. When she walks you can hear her heels clap down the marble staircase and her iphone rarely leaves her hand. She has back to back appointments all day and she'll say "get out of my way" if you try to talk to her. She drives a BMW and does Pilates. She travels internationally.

Portland is a shorter woman with glasses and a Mona Lisa smile. She also has gray hair at 29 but you wouldn't mistaken her for a New Yorker. She doesn't have the best posture but she's fine with it. She wears Keen's river sandals and old REI clothes wherever she goes, whether it's to the river, a fancy restaurant, or a formal wedding. If it's cold she wears socks with them. She makes furniture and her hands show years of hard work. She doesn't earn much, but she likes herself just the way she is. Her idea of a perfect trip is her dog and a river somewhere within 20 miles of Portland. She doesn't care to travel internationally because she figures "Why travel when everything I need is right here?" Her flip phone suits her just fine.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Seattle is a tall, slender woman in high heels and a business suit. You know she's from Seattle rather than New York is because her hair is gray and she's only 29. When she walks you can hear her heels clap down the marble staircase and her iphone rarely leaves her hand. She has back to back appointments all day and she'll say "get out of my way" if you try to talk to her. She drives a BMW and does Pilates. She travels internationally.

Portland is a shorter woman with glasses and a Mona Lisa smile. She also has gray hair at 29 but you wouldn't mistaken her for a New Yorker. She doesn't have the best posture but she's fine with it. She wears Keen's river sandals and old REI clothes wherever she goes, whether it's to the river, a fancy restaurant, or a formal wedding. If it's cold she wears socks with them. She makes furniture and her hands show years of hard work. She doesn't earn much, but she likes herself just the way she is. Her idea of a perfect trip is her dog and a river somewhere within 20 miles of Portland. She doesn't care to travel internationally because she figures "Why travel when everything I need is right here?" Her flip phone suits her just fine.

LOL I still have a flip phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland