Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM

92 posts, read 362,178 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a kid-friendly hotel in Portland? Near the airport or downtown is ok. Even out in the 'burbs is okay too. We are coming in on June 14th but our summer rental isn't ready until the 17th. I have two boys, 5 & 7, that need to be entertained while my husband is on his series of job interviews (yay!!!) we have set up all week.

I'll probably rent a car until ours arrives so it's not totally necessary to be close to a MAX line but nice so I can get the kiddos to the zoo, OMSI, etc. I learned my way around prettty well when we were scouting back in March.

I appreciate the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,133,200 times
Personally, I think I'd go for a hotel around the Convention Center. You've got a selection of price range there. And it'd really make it not necessary to rent a car. And even better, you're in fairless square to ride to Lloyd Center or to downtown.

The hotels are: Red Lion, LaQuinta, Courtyard Hotel (Marriott), Inn at the Convention Center, and even a Motel 6. The Marriott is the newest, and nicest. The others are older hotels, and I can't speak to the current condition of any of them. It's be a few years, but I have stayed at the Inn at the Convention Center and at the Red Lion. Not superb, but I thought they were acceptable at the time.

Within about 4 blocks you've got lots of kid-friendly (i.e. fast) food options: Red Robin, Denny's, Subway, Burgerville (a local chain -- the best fast food IMO), McDonald's, Wendy's, Starbucks. In addition to various hotel restaurants.

About 6 blocks to the east is Lloyd Center shopping mall. They've got a skating rink, and there are about 20 theater screens in and around the mall.

Any of the hotels are pretty much at the intersection of the MAX line and Hwy 99E. Bus #6 runs north and south, and will take you near to OMSI.

The downsides are: If there're conventions going on, reservations might be tough to get. I wouldn't say the area is the greatest - there's not much housing, so it's a little deserted at night. Which can be scary to some people.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,480,052 times
If you are considering Enrico's advise, be aware that many of those convention center hotels use web based discount services like price-line-dot-com when convention hotel business is slow. Really deep discounting.

FYI: near the hotels by the convention center is one of Portland's best kept secret, Grand Cental Baking. There is one local craft bread and coffee store on the corner of NE Weidler and NE 17th street. If you are watching your carb intake, avoid this place. But, IMO, really great tasting bread. You will never go back to 'sunshine' white paste again.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:30 PM

132 posts, read 341,343 times
We've stayed here a bunch of times when we were researching the city:
Portland Hotels - Inn at Northrup Station Hotel

It's kid-friendly, with "suites" (although, sadly, there's not a wall between the pull-out sofa and the bed(s). The rooms have kitchens, with plates, glasses, cutlery -- useful with children their near-constat need to eat heaps (or perhaps that's just my kid). Breakfast as well as free parking (if you need it) are included. It's in the NW, on the streetcar line, so if you don't want to rent a car, you don't really need to do so.

Enjoy! Portland is a *great* city for kids (and adults.)

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,545,210 times
I think the Lloyd Center Resident's Inn would be a great choice.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:28 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,133,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think the Lloyd Center Resident's Inn would be a great choice.
Hadn't thought about that one. But yeah, a good choice. Not as easy access to restaurants. Closer to Lloyd Center, a bit further from MAX, but still close. Certainly quieter.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:27 AM

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll check into all of these options.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
If you are considering Enrico's advise, be aware that many of those convention center hotels use web based discount services like price-line-dot-com when convention hotel business is slow. Really deep discounting.

FYI: near the hotels by the convention center is one of Portland's best kept secret, Grand Cental Baking. There is one local craft bread and coffee store on the corner of NE Weidler and NE 17th street. If you are watching your carb intake, avoid this place. But, IMO, really great tasting bread. You will never go back to 'sunshine' white paste again.
I love carbs Bakeries are my favorite. thanks for the recommendation!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueisme View Post
We've stayed here a bunch of times when we were researching the city:
Portland Hotels - Inn at Northrup Station Hotel

It's kid-friendly, with "suites" (although, sadly, there's not a wall between the pull-out sofa and the bed(s). The rooms have kitchens, with plates, glasses, cutlery -- useful with children their near-constat need to eat heaps (or perhaps that's just my kid). Breakfast as well as free parking (if you need it) are included. It's in the NW, on the streetcar line, so if you don't want to rent a car, you don't really need to do so.

Enjoy! Portland is a *great* city for kids (and adults.)
This is awesome. Thank you! My children are constant eaters too
Free parking a plus. We stayed downtown in March and got gouged on parking!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 AM

638 posts, read 1,177,732 times
The Inn at Northrup Station is awesome. One of my fave hotels I've stayed anywhere. I didn't really think of it being for kids (we don't have any) but they would probably love the crazy color scheme and the free breakfast, parking & streetcar right out front might be really helpful for mommies. It's also walking distance to Papa Haydn's...mmmmmmm....Papa Haydn's.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: