Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
It sure does. And I like to dip pizza ends in it, too.
Yeah, I used to do that a lot when I went to college in Ashland. The cheap pizza joint in town Giuseppes, would always have ranch for dipping a greasy slice of pepperoni.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCheri View Post
Thanks guys, I have been told from a friend that used to live there not to use an umbrella or I will look like a tourist.
Who cares about looking like a tourist? I've lived in Portland since 1987 (minus one year), and I'd rather used one than get wet hair and clothes. I have taken to buying a few hoodie cardigans for quickly getting in and out of the car to short distances, though. It can be a hassle dealing with umbrellas in those cases.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Who cares about looking like a tourist? I've lived in Portland since 1987 (minus one year), and I'd rather used one than get wet hair and clothes. I have taken to buying a few hooded cardigans for quickly getting in and out of the car to short distances, though. It can be a hassle dealing with umbrellas in those cases.
Yes! And when you are standing on a corner in the rain waiting for a bus and there is no shelter, an umbrella is a welcome accessory. I think the only people who proclaim "umbrellas are for tourists" are those afraid of their appearing to be uncool. Which makes them uncool.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Doubtless it is on the list to do this summer. It has been a wet winter, not good for painting.

Regarding managing a horse along a roadway. Don't you just hate it when a driver thinks you need a "toot" to let you know a car is coming your way??? If you were my daughter and riding a horse with any spook in it I would insist on a martingale (the Y shaped contraption where the reigns go through the top and the cinch through the bottom strap). Keep that pony's head about pommel high. With that you can manage with one hand on the reigns and the other free.

Yes, new residents (even returnees) have to take the written test.

I you think that's bad, you need to pass a test to operate a powered boat. I goes well beyond what you need to know IMHO.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:32 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes! And when you are standing on a corner in the rain waiting for a bus and there is no shelter, an umbrella is a welcome accessory. I think the only people who proclaim "umbrellas are for tourists" are those afraid of their appearing to be uncool. Which makes them uncool.
I never carried one just because it was always in the way and had to be stowed - and then usually forgotten. A good Gore-Tex coat (which is NOT waterproof, no matter what they say) with a hood, or a coat and a big-brim Outdoor Research hat, was always just fine. In wind you can cinch the hat down tight.

But then I rarely worked in a "dress" office, but for engineering firms or geology/environmental firms, the latter where you were often expected to be outside at some point the day/week, regardless of weather.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I never carried one just because it was always in the way and had to be stowed - and then usually forgotten. A good Gore-Tex coat (which is NOT waterproof, no matter what they say) with a hood, or a coat and a big-brim Outdoor Research hat, was always just fine. In wind you can cinch the hat down tight.

But then I rarely worked in a "dress" office, but for engineering firms or geology/environmental firms, the latter where you were often expected to be outside at some point the day/week, regardless of weather.
I can understand why it gets in the way. But for most of my career I had to dress up for work and an umbrella was the best way to keep dry although I still wore a raincoat. Back in the day when women had to wear skirts or dresses to work, there was nothing ickier than having wet nylon stockings. Ugh! Today is so much better!

If had to work outside I would have worn rain gear from head to toe.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
Quote:
If had to work outside I would have worn rain gear from head to toe.
The amazing thing about rubber rain gear in the winter: while it doesn't let outside moisture in (except down your collar), it's very cold anywhere the inside of the gear touches your skin and yet it's also very hot and sweaty. Just a lovely combination.

And you make the most horrible squeaking sound when you walk. Plus you can tribocharge yourself and get zapped when touching metal.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The amazing thing about rubber rain gear in the winter: while it doesn't let outside moisture in (except down your collar), it's very cold anywhere the inside of the gear touches your skin and yet it's also very hot and sweaty. Just a lovely combination.

And you make the most horrible squeaking sound when you walk. Plus you can tribocharge yourself and get zapped when touching metal.
Yuk! And I complained about having to wear pantyhose.

Another thing particular to Portland I think is that people say "Thank you" to the driver when getting off the bus. I have never seen that anywhere else.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Yuk! And I complained about having to wear pantyhose.

Another thing particular to Portland I think is that people say "Thank you" to the driver when getting off the bus. I have never seen that anywhere else.
I remember surprising a couple of San Francisco bus drivers by saying thank you. Seems to brighten them up.

On the other hand. . . I did take a major strip off one in New York. He didn't know what to do.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:13 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
Most of Portland’s bridges are also painted, except for the Steel Bridge. I noticed the rust the first time I crossed it on the MAX years ago, but I recently walked across it and noticed some amazing corrosion on the lower support beams. Overall it looks as if it’s ready to collapse at any time.

Does anyone know why this bridge seems to be the only one that isn’t painted?
I'll hazard an educated guess, though some real research might disprove this idea...I've learned during my time in Pittsburgh (once a steel capital of the world) that there are certain formulations of steel which are designed to oxidize on the surface when in contact with moisture. However this type of steel does not continue to oxidize into its interior once the surface rust is established, so in fact the rust serves as a protective barrier of sorts. This is, for example, why the UPMC tower (formerly the U.S. Steel Tower) in downtown Pittsburgh is not painted and has never needed a cleaning.

Quote:
It's fairly commonplace to say "thank you" to transit operators as you disembark in several cities we've lived in across Virginia, in Philadelphia, in Pittsburgh, in Albuquerque, in Seattle, and in Toronto and Ottawa. So while it might surprise some folks it's definitely not unique (and I should hope not, I think transit employees should be appreciated).

Finally, on the ranch dressing note...dipping everything imaginable in ranch dressing is extremely common all over the American south. In fact, believe it or not, there is a regional fast-food pizza chain across Virginia and parts of North Carolina called Chanello's whose trademark it is to enclose ranch dipping cups with their pies for use with the crusts. When I was in high school this became established long before Papa John's came along with the idea of dipping cups and garlic "butter." For all I know, Chanello's might even have been on the forefront of the whole dipping cup thing alltogether (though I'm saying that as someone who never traveled much as a kid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland