Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Current conditions are not being adequately discussed by our weather folks. My father, now long since passed, was and engineer for the COE so I pay attention to flood control. Once we get warm weather the record level of snow in the Cascades will start to melt. There isn't enough retention capacity to avoid flooding IMHO. The COE computer models are helping a lot, this would have been a record setting flood without them. Statistically floods occur around the second week of June when we start to have warm weather.
Wouldn't more rain be even worse at this point then getting a little warmer but drier weather? A big rainstorm up at higher elevations in the Cascades could be really bad, as that would melt the snow faster than the sun would leading to an even worse change of flooding along the rivers coming out of the foothills.

It's supposed to snow above 4,500 feet rising to about 7,000 feet for the rest of the week before warming up... Endless winter I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I believe that's what happened in 1996.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Mike is absolutely correct. What complicated 1996 is that the COE did not have the Willamette drainage area in their computer model then. My Dad was aware enough of conditions at that time such that he went into hyper mode after brain surgery. He re-lived the Vanport flood, wanted to find hip boots and start walking the levies.

High thin overcast with moderate warming would be perfect. Just want to spread this out over June.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM

181 posts, read 455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
You mean because for one week last year the weather was a certain way, you think that's the way it always is at that time of year? It's spring. Wait 15 minutes and the weather will be totally different.

And don't forget the latitudinal effect. Portland is about the same latitude of Michigan's UP or central Maine. Has summer arrived in either of those places?
Enrico, I've found some of your previous posts helpful, but I think you're being a bit rude here. The OP asked if it is usually warmer than the 60s at this time of year in Portland. I've spent copious amounts of time over the past year researching various aspects of life in Portland, including the weather. I also did visit Portland at this time of year, as I mentioned, and I answered the question based on my experience. Everything I've read about Portland and my own experience there suggests that 60-degree temperatures in June are fairly typical. No, I don't live there yet, but I don't think I said anything that's incorrect or misleading...

Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 PM

287 posts, read 738,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
I think the answer to this one is "no." I was in Portland from June 30 - July 4 last year, and it was around 60 degrees and drizzling when we arrived. The sun came out and it warmed up to the low 70s one afternoon, but for the most part it was overcast and cool.

Here in Ohio today the sun was blazing and it was 94 degrees. I went to an outdoor festival and would have MUCH preferred Portland's "sweater weather."
FYI spring times since 2007 has took a downfall. It has been cold, wetter, and clouder. Me, a native Oregonain is LOVING IT. Feels like "cool Hawaiian" weather, like their cool mornings, mild humid and wet

Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gma221 View Post
Enrico, I've found some of your previous posts helpful, but I think you're being a bit rude here. The OP asked if it is usually warmer than the 60s at this time of year in Portland. I've spent copious amounts of time over the past year researching various aspects of life in Portland, including the weather. I also did visit Portland at this time of year, as I mentioned, and I answered the question based on my experience. Everything I've read about Portland and my own experience there suggests that 60-degree temperatures in June are fairly typical. No, I don't live there yet, but I don't think I said anything that's incorrect or misleading...
You've said something based on ONE WEEK's visit, and a bunch of heresay. Not the best source. I'm sorry if you thought I was rude, your post here seems a little rude, to me. Personal messages work just fine if you want to call me names.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
A BIT unusual. Last winter like this was 1997, another strong La Nina year. If it's any consolation, we'll have a hot summer.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I believe that's what happened in 1996.
Wasn't that when people went down to the Willamette River downtown and sandbagged the shoreline? I remember a friend doing that. There was a fear that the river would rise high enough to reach 2nd Av. or above.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,804 times
So, I have to ask being an out of stater thats trying to move away from a state that has crappy, unreliable weather. Exactly what is the weather like in Portland from early spring into late summer? Are their reliable sunny weeks with rain in between or is it just a depressing gray sky of misery and suffering like my current state?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Frankly I don't know of any place in the US that isn't experiencing "crappy, unreliable weather" this year. Tornadoes are rare and when they occur not nearly as strong as what you see in the mid-west. The COE is doing a pretty good job of handling the runoff coming down the Snake and upper Columbia Basin where they have the tools to do so, so far so good.

Usually our springs and summers are marvelous. This spring has been wet & chilly, crops are about 2 weeks behind - it looks like even our roses won't be blooming by Rose Festival time. That wet, chilly, weather has hit you too leaving us all with a snow pack that contains probably twice the normal water content.

We do have the advantage of week-ending on the east slope of the Cascade range, just a couple hour's drive away. Lots of sun. Hot in the summer, cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland