Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:38 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,098 times

Advertisements

I can do software fine enough, but I aint a programmer is what im getting at. Hate it, hate it, HATE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Whats the word on Salem vs Eugene then? Why are they that much better vs the portland area? I've been to Seattle a few times recently and I don't much care for that much urban life style so hence why im shying away from Eugene or Salem.

I also don't have family in that area that I can settle with temporarily while I get myself situated, hence another major reason for Vancouver/Portland, I have family there
Portland has much more of an urban lifestyle than Eugene or Salem so I am confused. There are a number of small towns around Eugene to choose from.

Here is my suggestion: There are fewer students on campus at the University of Oregon in the summer. If you can move quickly sublet near campus while you search for housing that suits you. You may need to park your car on the street temporarily and put household goods in storage.

I adore cats but they are very territorial. If I had my druthers I would not move the cat until you found permanent housing. A cat should not be a problem to the lessor but the cat may not be happy so you need to bring it's favorite things with you. Frankly, unless you have your grandparent's antiques I wouldn't move a lot of stuff. You can always refurbish an apartment with estate sales in Eugene or buy from IKEA in Portland.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM

This wouldn't be happening at best until very late this year or next year more likely. And EVERYTHING comes with me if it works out in my favor.

Maybe I had the wrong terminology, I basically don't want to be living in skyscraper land, whatever you call that is

Old 05-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Ah, skyscraper land for the entire state of Oregon is limited to Portland's immediate downtown, the Pearl District, parts of Goose Hollow, and South Waterfront. There are a couple ~ 8 story buildings in Eugene, one a residence for seniors and student residence halls.

There are lots of apartments in Eugene, those popular with students get a LOT of wear and at the time you could be home shopping likely filled to capacity. After you apply for an opening I am sure the future supervisor will want to interview you so add a couple days to the trip and look around.

Best of luck with your search for a new community.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Many of your questions are too subjective. You will get more differing opinions that will not really be definitive. I would suggest you look at previous threads to see what people have commented on similar subjects but remember, they are all from the posters' points of view.

5. What has been the popular and stable business market been like the past few years and which ones, if any, are growing? Any businesses that should be avoided?

This I will attempt to answer because I think most people here would agree that the medical profession has the most stable and available jobs. IT not much at all. The market is saturated. Stream is a good choice for support jobs. I have had friends who have worked there. It is located in the suburb of Beaverton so you may want to check out that area.

Some people have been successful in opening up their own small business but that is always risky. If you can get a transfer that would be the best way to move. What you should do is spend some time here and observe and ask questions in person.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM

Did a little bit more looking around and though Eugene and Salem look nice, Portland/Vancouver is what I really want to upgrade too for a change of lifestyle. Im sick of the smaller, college community towns, been in one all my life, I want bigger, better and more of everything.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Well, start your job search. Once you have an offer get back to us and we will help steer you to a move we hope you will be happy about. If you don't get bites in a month or two make a move to Eugene and job search from there.

Best of luck...

Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM

Thanks for input but its either Portland/Vancouver or nothing. I am not doing another college town or I have gained little/nothing.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 AM

86 posts, read 109,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I think you meant OIT. OIT | Oregon Institute of Technology To be fair I think that they did change their name back from OTI a few years ago. Intel hires a good portion of the grads out of their hardware program.
is it competitive to get in there, as a result?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derniss View Post
is it competitive to get in there, as a result?
Very slightly. For the most part if you get good grades, they grab you. Intel's biggest and consistent complaint is the lack of skilled workers locally and in the United States in general. This is why they rely on so many H1 Visa holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland