Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 PM

48 posts, read 187,690 times

Advertisements

I think there are some people who become depressed over the weather but the majority of us here seem to carry on with life as usual. I would think by March we are all itching for some relief but we carry on and do our thing knowing summer is right around the corner. There are lots of fall and winter activities that get people out. I also think maybe the bars get a little more crowded when it is raining but still...people come out of their homes. As stated above... the majority stays home when it snows, just a day or two sometimes three or four a year. But never for weeks or months. For me, if I get one day when I don't leave the house it is a miracle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,551 times
wallace raises an interesting question. I live in the NE now, have lived in Chicago and have spent a lot of time in Seattle and Portland in all 4 seasons. I find that people that have never been are quick to slam the PNW for being rainy all the time and citing stats on number of days with rain. IMHO you really have to first baseline your home climate - if you're coming from TX or So Cal, of course you're going to have climate shock. But as wallace points out, it's grey from Oct - May in Chicago and from Dec to April it's not uncommon for the wind chill to regularly dip below zero. In the NE it's grey most of the winter with freezing rain and annoying snow that often doesn't amount to much accumulation. This summer I watched the NE get rain almost every 2-3 days where Portland and Seattle had multi-week stretches of continuous sun. Some have cited this as a fluke for the PNW in the summer, but my expereience in past years has been that this is pretty normal. I think that the NE perception is that when it's bad for them it must be an exception in places like the PNW to have better weather than them b/c of the aforementioned assumptions I noted above. As for me, 40 and on and off rain in the dead of winter is better than 12 degrees and partly cloudy anyday.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:32 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
I have to agree with ebr1974. The experience will vary widely depending on each person and where you're moving from. Portland doesn't get all that cold, relatively speaking, compared to a lot of states in the same latitude. I moved from the Rockies where we had lots of sun during the winter, but frigid temperatures and mountains of snow. If you're moving from the great lakes area, where they already have a lot of gray during the winter, your only trade off is cold weather versus mild weather. Not much of a sacrifice really. Another thing about the rain is that there's rain, and then there's rain. Portland rain doesn't get more than drizzly and misty for most of the winter. It's not like midwest and mountain storms where the heavens open and water pours out of the sky in sheets. Like others have already mentioned, most people just put on a jacket (not coat!) and get on with their lives. If everything stopped for a little rain, nothing would ever get done.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 AM

42 posts, read 132,905 times
There isn't enough rain here! I grew up on the coast and I have seen real rain......One winter it was so bad, we had 2 little ducks who moved in to our driveway, which was flooded for months. It does kind of crack me up when we get 50mph winds here and people are bracing for the "storm". Sustained winds of 100mph and gusts of 120mph are what I am used to.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonDaisy View Post
There isn't enough rain here! I grew up on the coast and I have seen real rain......One winter it was so bad, we had 2 little ducks who moved in to our driveway, which was flooded for months. It does kind of crack me up when we get 50mph winds here and people are bracing for the "storm". Sustained winds of 100mph and gusts of 120mph are what I am used to.
for real. I lived on the gulf coast and it rains more there in a week than here in a couple months.
Sit through a few hurricanes with sustained winds of 150+ and not too much fazes ya after that.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
I would Love to live in America, i live in New Zealand And in a Small Town Called Waitahanui, with only about 700 people it is really depressing it is about 100 miles from anyother town and it is about sunny 3 times a year, i HATE it but i cant move because my Mom wont let me and im only 13 But i want to move to LA when im older but dont Hate Portland Coz im sure it is beautiful Have a awesome life with your Husband!

God Bless you All x

Old 03-26-2010, 04:46 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
I've read the rain doesn't bother native Oregonians because they are used to the winter. However, I am curious to know, is it common the native Oregonians actually like the constant precip, fog and clouds or do most just tolerate it better?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:23 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,481,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
I've read the rain doesn't bother native Oregonians because they are used to the winter. However, I am curious to know, is it common the native Oregonians actually like the constant precip, fog and clouds or do most just tolerate it better?
FYI:
My experiences of the weather in Portland is an the same scale as the overcast, gray and precipitation as much of the northern mid-west: Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and other cities close to the Great Lakes.

However, the precipitation in Portland is much more likely to be rain instead of snow during the 1st 3 months of a year.

The cloud and overcast is not all the time, there are partial cloudy days, with brief moments of sun. Portland is not, repeat not, Southern California. I would match up the Weather in Portland during the winter and spring months with Great Britain or any North Atlantic European country or city (Denmark, Holland, etc.)

In short, it really is no big deal to survive the winter in Portland, provided you didn't grow up in SoCal or the deserts of the Southwest.

Statistical data from NOAA, 40+ years averages of Clear, Partly Cloudy, and Overcast by month for all of lower 48:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt
Do your own research.

Phil

Old 03-28-2010, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,999 times
We moved to Portland from St. Louis four years ago. I was raised there, my wife is from Chicago. The comments about baseline are absolutely correct. Californians and Arizonians seems to get a little bothered by the rain. But we absolutely love living in Portland and have never been bothered by the rainy season in the least. I actually suffered from S.A.D. in St. Louis because the winters were so bleak. But I haven't had the same problems here. The weather is mild and rarely dips below 40 degrees because of the Pacific ocean. And, I agree with previous posts that the rain is overstated here. Pretty much. Through most of the winter, the weather is dynamic and there are gorgeous sun breaks even on the wettest days. November and December can certainly be a bit gray and rainy, but it's worth it for the year-round greenery and the most absolutely beautiful 4-month summers in the country.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:52 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwithbeard View Post
FYI:
My experiences of the weather in Portland is an the same scale as the overcast, gray and precipitation as much of the northern mid-west: Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, and other cities close to the Great Lakes.

However, the precipitation in Portland is much more likely to be rain instead of snow during the 1st 3 months of a year.

The cloud and overcast is not all the time, there are partial cloudy days, with brief moments of sun. Portland is not, repeat not, Southern California. I would match up the Weather in Portland during the winter and spring months with Great Britain or any North Atlantic European country or city (Denmark, Holland, etc.)

In short, it really is no big deal to survive the winter in Portland, provided you didn't grow up in SoCal or the deserts of the Southwest.

Statistical data from NOAA, 40+ years averages of Clear, Partly Cloudy, and Overcast by month for all of lower 48:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/clpcdy.txt
Do your own research.

Phil
Nicely put. To answer a poster above, those of us in W. Oregon tolerate the Oregon winter. Very few dance with joy over two weeks of straight rain. However, we muddle along, and the beauty all around Oregon certainly helps. I agree that for others who live north of latitude 40 in the U.S. it will seem mild. Those coming from California or the desert southwest, S. Rockies, or South, will likely find it quite an adjustment. I also agree it is very similar to NW Europe, though not as bad as W. Ireland, Scotland and W. Norway. I recall in Ireland they get well over 220 rainy days per year, whereas Portland gets about 150, with notably dry summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland