Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 19,305 times

Advertisements

We have a strong possibility of my husband getting a job in Vancouver. We have discussed it and decided we would rather live in Portand than Vancouver. We want to be near the bridge to make the commute as easy for my husband. What are the best neighborhoods in roughly a 10-mile radius around the bridge over to Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:22 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I think Irvington is within that radius.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:11 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiskakodiak View Post
We have a strong possibility of my husband getting a job in Vancouver. We have discussed it and decided we would rather live in Portand than Vancouver. We want to be near the bridge to make the commute as easy for my husband. What are the best neighborhoods in roughly a 10-mile radius around the bridge over to Vancouver?
There are 2 bridges over the Columbia to Vancouver: I-5 (Interstate Bridge) and I-205 (Glenn Jackson Bridge). Which one will he commute over?

And I'll ask the boilerplate question that everyone gets when they present the Work-In-Vancouver-Live-In-Portland scenario: why would you want to pay Oregon state income taxes when you don't have to if you work and live in Vancouver? (The usual answer is it's a lifestyle choice, and the individual can afford it, but sometimes people are unaware that they will have to pay OR income taxes.)

Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Yes, we are aware of the Oregon income tax but we consider it offset by the lack of a sales tax. Vancouver is just too cookie-cutter for me. Good question about which bridge -- I truly don't know. I need to figure that out by looking at some maps of where his new workplace would be located. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM

It would definitely be the 5 bridge.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiskakodiak View Post
Overlook in North Portland is nice, along with Irvington in NE Portland. Boise-Eliot is getting much nicer these days. Other neighborhoods in North Portland can be a mixed bag, but there are nice quiet areas of University Park and Arbor Lodge close to the University of Portland or river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland