Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 PM

27 posts, read 37,285 times

Advertisements

Snarfdink- I have heard about the market on Saturdays and it's first on my list for the Saturday that I'll be there!

I have tried the Priceline trick and the problem I'm having is researching and area where there are NO 4 star hotels. Here are the areas they list on Priceline (to choose from):
Beaverton - Hillsboro
Clackamas
Convention Center - Lloyd Center
Downtown Portland
Gresham - Troutdale
Lake Oswego - Tigard
North Harbor - Jantzen Beach
Northwest Portland
Portland Airport (PDX)
South Waterfront District
Vancouver, Washington

I'm afraid I'll put in a bid for an area way out where there just happens to be 1 or 2 four star hotels!

Thanks again for all of your responses- it's making me even more excited to be visiting Portland! It sounds like such a wonderful city!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

90 posts, read 141,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozLee View Post
Snarfdink- I have heard about the market on Saturdays and it's first on my list for the Saturday that I'll be there!

I have tried the Priceline trick and the problem I'm having is researching and area where there are NO 4 star hotels. Here are the areas they list on Priceline (to choose from):
Beaverton - Hillsboro
Clackamas
Downtown Portland
Gresham - Troutdale
Lake Oswego - Tigard
Northwest Portland
Portland Airport (PDX)
South Waterfront District
Vancouver, Washington

I'm afraid I'll put in a bid for an area way out where there just happens to be 1 or 2 four star hotels!

Thanks again for all of your responses- it's making me even more excited to be visiting Portland! It sounds like such a wonderful city!!
open up a new tab with the priceline website and search for hotels in portland, then you can click on neighborhoods and look at the star ratings.. select 4 star and 3.5 star and then choose $70 as your bid and select downtown.. i almost guarantee youll get a hit for the marriott

Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM

181 posts, read 456,220 times
Sorry for the late response - I've been on the road all day en route to PDX! Were you able to find the map on Priceline? If not, I've listed below the areas that have NO 4-star OR 3.5-star hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozLee View Post
Beaverton - Hillsboro
Clackamas
Gresham - Troutdale
Lake Oswego - Tigard
Northwest Portland
Vancouver, Washington
If you choose Downtown PLUS any of the above areas AND select only 4-star or 3.5-star hotels, you are guaranteed to get a hotel downtown since there are no hotels in that star-range in the other areas. Priceline will never book you at a hotel that is below the star-level you specify. The only danger is if you choose downtown plus a neighborhood that DOES have 3.5- or 4-star hotels - then you could end up outside of downtown!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM

12 posts, read 17,628 times
I'm originally from Chicagoland and really noticed a big difference in the people in Portland....You'll have a great time!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,455,239 times
I'd like to check out the Crystal Hotel; McMenamins - Crystal Hotel Home

It's McMenamin's new hotel in the downtown area. Has only been open for a few weeks. McMenamins hotels are always kind of cool to stay in and have a lot of history. The building's previous incarnation was a gay bath house and hostel and always looked quite seedy. I'm glad that they put so much money into the building like they did.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,313,681 times
When my wife and I went to Oregon last year for a week in the summer, we got 3-4 nights at the 4* Benson for around $70. Definitely recommend just bidding on Priceline for a 4* downtown and I think you'll get a nice room for < $100.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM

27 posts, read 37,285 times
Hey all- thanks again for your responses. I ended up going with Mark Spencer. I got a room for $119, which I know probably sounds really high to you guys (compared to what you all got!). I was getting really anxious about room prices and just wanted to get it done and over with. I do SO appreciate everyone's help!

I cannot wait for my trip to Portland. I'm also going to Seattle and looking at UW for grad school. Hopefully, I'll be out there by next summer permanently! I have a feeling I'm just going to LOVE the Pacific NW so much that I won't want to come home at all .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland