Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
I know this seems VERY unusual, but I just want to make sure I'm not being mislead.
Im from long island. In HS. I hate it. I always talk about how im going to live in portland once im out of college and never go back to the island. But I feel like maybe im wrong..maybe I don't want to Portland. Maybe I'm being mislead. Here's what I think of Portland (mind u I haven't been there, so that's why I'm making this thread)

-Portland is very green.
-Portland is very liberal
-Portland is very nerdy
-Portland couldnt care less for sports
-Portland has good transit
-Portland is rainy, but it makes everything green
-portland has a lot of beer and coffee culture.
-Portland doesn't have HOT-HAZY-HUMID summers
-Portland is close to a lot of different kinds of natural settings (mountains, wine country, beach, high desert, etc.)
-Portland is good in the bookwriting business (I mean, a lot of famous authors r out of portland)
-portland is very safe
-portland is very scenic
-Portland has a lot of hippies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times
-Portland is very green.
Has a reputation for being very green, and maybe compared with many places it is. It's all in the perspective.

-Portland is very liberal
Yes, but it's a dichotomy: it's very liberal, but also there's a lot of governmental regulation of things that should be up to people's choice -- so it's liberal (or else)... basically.

-Portland is very nerdy
Portland has a strange mix of nerdy, "white trash" (you'll probably see more mullets near here than you've seen since Billy ray Cyrus was popular), and Faux nerdy (aka hipster). In all, it's pretty average American.

-Portland couldnt care less for sports
mostly true (compared with the rest of the USA)

-Portland has good transit
Not compared with many major cities, but for a "big town" it's pretty good. Everything shuts down early though, so don't rely on mass transit as your designated driver.

-Portland is rainy, but it makes everything green
Portland doesn't get more rainfall than most places, the thing that people always complain about is the constant cloud cover... like it might, might rain for 9 months. And it might drizzle off and on for many months, but it rarely comes out and full-on rains. People end up missing the sun because the sky is full of clouds most of the time.

-portland has a lot of beer and coffee culture.
Lots

-Portland doesn't have HOT-HAZY-HUMID summers
True. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and humid the rest of the year.

-Portland is close to a lot of different kinds of natural settings (mountains, wine country, beach, high desert, etc.)
Yup, except here the beach is called "the coast" -- and it's not what you are used to there. You absolutely can NOT wear shorts or a swim suit anywhere near it, it's cold, rainy, windy, grey... beautiful, but not someplace you go to play volley ball and meet girls (or guys). More like a place you go to take photos and drink coffee..

-Portland is good in the bookwriting business (I mean, a lot of famous authors r out of portland)
True, and some good movie people from around here too.

-portland is very safe
Portland has a very low murder rate and a high property crime rate. So you are fairly safe walking around wherever but keep your car doors locked and use "the club" and watch your things when you are out and about.

-portland is very scenic
True.

-Portland has a lot of hippies
Not really, but a lot of people don't make the distinction between people who compost their food scraps and hippies. There aren't really many hippies around anywhere anymore but you'll meet people who recycle or wear natural fibers or only eat organic foods. Not really the same thing.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 PM

Yeah looks like I was right for the most part.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Hi all.
I know this seems VERY unusual, but I just want to make sure I'm not being mislead.
Im from long island. In HS. I hate it. I always talk about how im going to live in portland once im out of college and never go back to the island. But I feel like maybe im wrong..maybe I don't want to Portland. Maybe I'm being mislead. Here's what I think of Portland (mind u I haven't been there, so that's why I'm making this thread)

-Portland is very green. Yes. Sometimes to a fault.
-Portland is very liberal. Yes. Definitely to a fault.
-Portland is very nerdy. Mmmm. . . Never saw it that way.
-Portland couldnt care less for sports. Definitely NOT true.
-Portland has good transit. Depends on whose opinion you're after.
-Portland is rainy, but it makes everything green. No comment!
-portland has a lot of beer and coffee culture. Yes!
-Portland doesn't have HOT-HAZY-HUMID summers. Hazy, sometimes. Humid, never. What's 'hot' to you? To me it's over 93.
-Portland is close to a lot of different kinds of natural settings (mountains, wine country, beach, high desert, etc.) Yes!
-Portland is good in the bookwriting business (I mean, a lot of famous authors r out of portland) Don't know.
-portland is very safe. Lower crime rate that other cities, but very high drug and property crimes. MUCH safety caution is still necessary.
-portland is very scenic Yes.
-Portland has a lot of hippies. Wouldn't say a lot. Some. Not enough for you to really notice.
And so those are my opinions and I'm sticking to it.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM

Hold up...is it really sportsy??? I hate sports. They r so BORRRRRRRINNNNG. Basically if absolutely everyone talks about sports this and sports that. If it's like that then I'll stop using it.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Hold up...is it really sportsy??? I hate sports. They r so BORRRRRRRINNNNG. Basically if absolutely everyone talks about sports this and sports that. If it's like that then I'll stop using it.
In all my years growing up in Oregon (granted, this was in Eugene and not Portland) I never once had a conversation about sports. I never knew a single person who had a sports themed room or bedspread or hang pendants on their walls (as adults!) like they do in other states.

Maybe Oregonians have a skewed idea of what a "sports enthusiast" is, but I never saw one here like you see in other parts of the country. I've met people who follow certain teams, but not enough to lament their losses or have super-bowl parties or anything like that.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Despite the huge unemployment rate here, the Rose Garden is always sold out for the NBA games. And many fans go all out during play-offs. As for football, there are plenty of superbowl parties ~ I know a lot of people who host them at their homes. Popular at bars, too.

However, I don't think you're going to feel deluged by sports. I may talk about the NBA with others who are also fans but that's about it (outside of watching the Olympics).

For the record, snow-skiing, wind-surfing, mountain-climbing, softball, and soccer are among the many local sports practiced a lot here. Despite the climate Oregon is a very outdoorsy state.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
I'd say it's sportsy in that more people are participating in sports rather than talking about them.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
In all my years growing up in Oregon (granted, this was in Eugene and not Portland) I never once had a conversation about sports. I never knew a single person who had a sports themed room or bedspread or hang pendants on their walls (as adults!) like they do in other states.
Several years ago while house hunting, my wife and I looked at a home where a person had a Blazers room. This was back in the Clyde Drexler days.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Several years ago while house hunting, my wife and I looked at a home where a person had a Blazers room. This was back in the Clyde Drexler days.
I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland