Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:46 PM

334 posts, read 485,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Can I go out on a limb and suggest: That in AL (and most of the country) cyclists/trains/walking are not as tolerated as in Portland? In most places people aren't looking to buy a house in a neighborhood so that they can walk to restaurants and shops.
good point...altho you have the car dependent suburban living here. Which come to think of it, if that was all we had, we'd look much more like AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 05:35 PM

758 posts, read 2,366,846 times
Wal-mart HAS picked up a number of properties around the Portland area, and WILL be building/remodeling "neighborhood stores." Whether those fly remains to be seen. Portlanders may try to unionize them (and maybe Target, too). This is because both are making a push into the grocery business, which is quite unionized (pays family wages, with benefits). I shop at the union grocery stores partly for that reason, and I'm guessing many other Portlanders do as well.

Should be interesting...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
Having moved from SoCal to N. Alabama, here is my perspective, which may be different from the OP's:

- This is a BBQ, fast food, & meat-loving culture, with little emphasis on exercise or healthful eating. The few farmers' markets here are very small and disappointing (i.e., the one in Charleston, WV is WAY better ), and there aren't very many vegetarian cafes or even vegetarian options other than salad at most restaurants. I end up buying produce (shipped from CA or FL) at the grocery store or growing my own. The closest Trader Joe's is 110 miles away in Nashville. Being a vegetarian here has been quite a challenge; from what I've researched, Portland is way more vegetarian-friendly.

- College football is taken VERY seriously here. Google Harvey Updike if you don't know who he is. If you are not into Alabama or Auburn football, you will be in a very small minority of people. I don't perceive Portlanders as being rabid sports fans.

- Religion and church are very important to most people in AL. Churches advertise heavily on TV here, something I never saw in CA. I am assuming Portland is closer on the continuum to CA (where almost anything goes, and people you've just met don't ask you what church you go to) than to AL in this regard.

- Walmart is HUGE here.

i couldn't have said it better!!!!! And it is always easier for someone that wasn't born there to notice the differences ie how bad Alabama is. With all the bad about Alabama....it is a beautiful state and alot of friendly people live there.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
are these stereotype descriptions of alabama? I am sure certain secitons are very progressive. As I am sure many sections of Portland are very boring and conservative.
Birmingham is a little bit more progressive but like I said I live out in the country and don't go to Birmingham much. Democratic politicians here are a dying breed.
Those descriptions are what I have noticed living here for 22 years. There are people who do not fit those stereotypes but most do.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 29,986 times
I'm from Florida, lived here my whole life, got a degree in art and design at FSU in Tallahassee and I'm ready to move out of this godforsaken state. I know I want to go to graduate school and get an MFA in user experience design or art direction but I feel so depressed here that I haven't really gotten down to applying and stuff. I want to move to Portland when my lease is up in October. I've been saving money and plan to visit during the Portland music festival thats going on in early September. While I'm there I want to apply for jobs/internships and also try to set up a place to stay. Anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints??

I am interested in co-op living etc so any info about those kinds of living situations would be most helpful. thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,508,467 times
There are a couple co-housing groups in Portland but I think you need to buy into them.

Jobs are tough to get here even in the best of economies but firms such as NIKE, ADADIS and Columbia Sportswear do employ a lot of graphic artists, even sculpture majors. I think there is an industrial design firm here as well. You need to have a strong, appropriate, portfolio.

If you are considering an advanced degree I suggest industrial design.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:26 PM

33 posts, read 79,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peshe View Post
I just moved here from Alabama and There are alot of cultural differences.
I'd say! Just start talking to people, going into shops and cafes, checking out public bulletin boards. You'll meet people and get ideas. It's a great city for socializing. I came here without knowing anyone and thought I'd never meet people, but I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: