Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 AM

60 posts, read 68,905 times

Advertisements

I came here to fine myself, but soon realized this is not anything different than where I was. I soon to move back to my place. Want to hear from anyone who has had simliar experiences, who came to portland to find a new life and in turn found a place that was no different. I move back soon to my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,097,534 times
Wherever ya go, there ya are. I tried that 17 years ago. Unfortunately a very annoying and neurotic man followed me. Myself!

That's why I'm only planning a two week Portland vacay. Schedule two weeks of random fun and activity, and then leave before mister annoying man ruins the whole deal.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM

5,465 posts, read 8,184,520 times
It's been a while since I posted this link to America's Finest News Source:

Moving To New City To Solve All Of Area Man's Problems | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

Moving To New City To Solve All Of Area Man's Problems | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
That paper still has the best reporting around by far.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

This very good. Wish I seen before I made this move, but hopefully others will see it.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:04 AM

600 posts, read 1,469,028 times
"Finding yourself" has nothing to do with where you live - it has to do with finding yourself personally, spiritually and mentally. So either figure out what you're running away from or go visit the self help section of a bookstore and grab a good read

Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Wherever ya go, there ya are.
True, but you can never totally discount the effects of time and place. They do have the ability to alter your attitudes and behaviors.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,097,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
True, but you can never totally discount the effects of time and place. They do have the ability to alter your attitudes and behaviors.
Yeah, I agree that some cities at certain times are better for "find myself" types than others. But as one, I believe that those who go trekking off to "find themselves" tend to be a little bit on the "lost soul" side. And lost souls may need a litte more than just being in the right time and place.

Of course, this was probably even more true in the nineties, when trekking off may have meant having a bus or plane ticket in one hand and a Frodor's city guide in the other. These days people can get so much information on a city. They can contact people who already live in the city they're running off too.

For instance, the main reason I chose Portland is that I figured the residents would be less upset over Kurt Cobain's death than the residents of Seattle would. I really was flying blind.

And honestly, Portland was as far away from Syracuse as I could get!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Yeah, I agree that some cities at certain times are better for "find myself" types than others. But as one, I believe that those who go trekking off to "find themselves" tend to be a little bit on the "lost soul" side. And lost souls may need a litte more than just being in the right time and place.

Of course, this was probably even more true in the nineties, when trekking off may have meant having a bus or plane ticket in one hand and a Frodor's city guide in the other. These days people can get so much information on a city. They can contact people who already live in the city they're running off too.

For instance, the main reason I chose Portland is that I figured the residents would be less upset over Kurt Cobain's death than the residents of Seattle would. I really was flying blind.

And honestly, Portland was as far away from Syracuse as I could get!
Are you happier now? How did things work out for you? You sound well...did you move on easily from this?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I agree. When I moved from Atlanta to Seattle 14 years ago, thinking my life would change, I brought all my issues and neuroses with me, and I was disappointed in Seattle. So I moved to Portland a year later, thinking my life would change... and damned if it didn't. For whatever reasons, I felt at home in Portland, and the new scenery, people, and experiences prompted me to start doing some serious self-reflection. Eventually, I was able to unravel most of my personal issues (we never unravel them all, do we?), and maybe that's part of why I still love Portland so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland